Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Question for Prime lens users

Question for Prime lens users - how many do you take on an outing, and how do you carry them?

I'm looking for a compact carry option that will let me carry four primes (usually 21, 31, 40 or 50, and 77), preferably in a compact belt pouch arrangement. I want a little padding, not much, and individual compartments for all four so I can swap without juggling. Any suggestions?

01-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

How do you find dust management?

Since I acquired a few primes and only 1 body, almost all times I went outdoor shooting I find dust on my pictures.

So I decided to get a second body just for my telephoto lens, never will it come off.

For me, that’s 1 camera (w/ tele on shoulder), 1 camera (w/ wide) on hand, and other 2 primes (50 and 90mm) in bag.
01-28-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If I'm on foot I have one mounted and two in my pockets, as a general thing. That's why God gave us both a left and a right side.
01-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It changes a lot, but currently I have a small body with a 35mm (MX+M35/2.8) in the left pocket and the A100/2.8 in the right pockat. Sometimes the 35mm is instead a 24 or 28mm + a 50mm, and the 100mm is a135mm or a 90mm.
If I'm on work I have a digital body in the camera bag and 2-3 lenses there as well, not all primes, often the DA10-17, DA35/2.8 and FA50/1.4. If I need more than this I will take a camera bag, but if I was always keeping the geer in the camera bag I would use it much less. Cleaning tools are always with me. I have not found dust such a problems. You newvbees should have been around in the days when we were constantly fighting to keep dust away from our precious negatives and slides. I remember when half of the films taken during a holiday had a thick dark line across them because a hair from the pensel-blower (may not be the right enlgish word) had got stuck behind the shutter No dust removal function then and no dust maping!

01-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like to go out with just one lens at a time - serial monogamy I think they call that. Sure, there are times I wish I'd brought a second or third... but I find it better to figure out how to use what I brought. In my style of seeing, I find normal to wide works best, if bringing only one lens.

I do go out with two or three - and I use the Mike method of two pockets. Or a small shoulder bag, depending. I don't like to lug a large amount of gear when walking... I leave it in the car, take what I'm going to use with me, and that's that.

I would imagine a fanny pack or one of those sling bags would work for what you're after, Chris. The bag needs to accommodate a long lens as well as short ones. Do you not need room for the camera itself?
01-28-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

If I'm heading to a shoot I bring all my gear in a backpack style camera bag. If I'm going for a walk I take one camera and one lens.

c[_]
01-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I generally take a backpack so the camera can be in there when I don't need it, especially if I have a zoom with me. Otherwise I have the camera around my neck with a lens in either pocket.

Configuration 1 - light and fast:
Vivitar 24mm, FA43, FA77

Configuration 2 - versatile, for when the weather is non-Irish:
Vivitar 24mm, FA43, DA55-300

I'm sure this will change soon. A while ago it was more like:
DA16-45
Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro

01-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take 3 or 4 lenses, mixing & matching lengths and other characteristics (prime/zoom, AF/MF) based on conditions, what I'm expecting to shoot, and whim.

I use a holster style bag with lens cases attached to it saddle-bag style. Sometimes I'll add a pancake in a pocket. It works pretty well but big lenses present a something of a challenge when they're not on the camera.

To my surprise (since I'm fairly clumsy and not meticulous by nature), dust has really not been a serious issue.
01-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Maybe you could make something out of a tool belt?

I use a Crumpler 5-million-dollar home, which can fit a camera and 3-4 primes (including the one on the body). It's a shoulder bag, but not at all big, and the compartments are padded and adjustable with velcro.
https://www.crumplerbags.com/flash/flash.aspx#/english/product-details/5-mil...e-md0504a.html

I say 3-4, because if I bring the 21 and the 40/43, they can usually bunk together with a pouch in there.

Or sometimes I'll go all screwmount, but the 200 (my longest lens) is a tight squeeze!
01-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i pick a normal, (43mm, 50 or 55)

a short tele (85 or 135)

and a wide angle (16mm fish, or 18mm)

or if i'm feeling less wide, a 28mm
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
Question for Prime lens users - how many do you take on an outing, and how do you carry them?

I'm looking for a compact carry option that will let me carry four primes (usually 21, 31, 40 or 50, and 77), preferably in a compact belt pouch arrangement. I want a little padding, not much, and individual compartments for all four so I can swap without juggling. Any suggestions?
I remember reading something on dpreview about Pentax developing a case like that. I don't have any Limiteds so it didn't stick with me.

Before I go anywhere, I spend an hour brutally whittling my gear down to eight essential lenses. If I had any ability in choosing, I wouldn't have so many to start with.
01-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Out of habit, I never get out of my car with more than two lenses. If I'm headed to the local state conservation area for a hike I put a 50 on my camera and my 24 in my shoulder bag. If I'm on a photo outing with my club and I can take my tripod I'll add my 1.4x TC to the bag. If I think I'll try to snap some shots of birds I'll swap my 135 or 200 for the 24. Keep it simple.
01-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I like to go out with just one lens at a time - serial monogamy
In the summer I usually go on an hour's cycle ride 3 or 4 times a week. Last summer I decided that I would take a different prime with each ride. The first few times it was good - I learned that since I could only use that lens, I had to use it, and so I had to learn how to use it. That helped me a lot. Then one evening there was a lovely golden glow and I was cycling through a wheat field. I needed my CZJ Flektogon 35, but instead I had an M135! Then the summer got wet, and I bent my bike (I hit a rut on a farm track, the bike stayed still and my body followed Newton's laws of motion) and I gave up on the exercise. Next summer I will try again.

QuoteQuote:
I do go out with two or three - and I use the Mike method of two pockets.
I have a belt holster bag, but it really only fits the camera with one lens. When I bent my bike, as soon as I had got up (and before attending to the bleeding) I checked the camera and lens, and both were fine. The camera had taken my full weight. I am tempted to use panniers or a backpack, but I am not sure how they would fare in a similar situation.

Richard
01-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

three, wide normal short tele that's enough for me
01-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Slightly off subject, but can't resist a reply. Douglas, the two best pictures I've ever taken had blower hair right across the middle of the picture (once in a lifetime shots). I can't tell you how hard I laughed when I read your post. It's nice to know there's company out there for misery.