Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #1

DA* 50-135mm hood/filter question(s)

just a quick question for anyone who has access to a DA* 50-135mm lens,
I am currently using a lens that uses 77mm filters, since I'm cheap, I don't really want to buy more filters than I really have to,

my questions are:

firstly, Is there enough room inside the hood for a 77mm filter (with step up adapter of course).

secondly, being a relativity experienced and uninformed photographer, will there be any negative affect on any pictures using a step up adapter for filters (I really doubt there will be, but a conformation from all the smart people here would put my mind at ease).

Thanks,
Ryan

01-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

I just measured mine (for some reason I have it and a set of digital calipers on my desk), and the inside diameter of the hood back where the end of the lens would sit is about 85.5mm. I can't get my calipers all the way in there so that is the measurement of a cardboard disk that just fits to the back of the hood. The hood flares toward the end of the "leaves". I see no reason why you couldn't do it that way.
01-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wimps!

Well, not helpful, but I never use a hood with the 50-135.
Never.
The one delivered with it is ridiculously large. Almost unusable.

Did I say that hoods are for wimps?

01-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
hoods are for people who want lens flares and reduced contrast

01-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #5

Anyone want to send me their unused 50-135mm lens hood my way is very welcome
01-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I dont think it will work. My 77mm filter doesnt fit through the hood, so you would have to put the step ring and the filter on after the hood is on. Just try that with one of your 67mm filters and see how difficult it is. Once the hood id on, a 77mm filter will fit inside the hood.
Ryan
01-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryno Quote
I dont think it will work. My 77mm filter doesnt fit through the hood, so you would have to put the step ring and the filter on after the hood is on. Just try that with one of your 67mm filters and see how difficult it is. Once the hood id on, a 77mm filter will fit inside the hood.
Ryan
haha, I realize I'd have to put the filter on after I put the hood on,
but this answers my question, thank everyone!
01-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
since I'm cheap, I don't really want to buy more filters than I really have to
You need no filter under normal conditions. A hood (always) and lens cap (during long down time) works for me. I'm in Southern California, so it beats me what protective measures you must take in other climes.

And here's a filter link that is pretty good.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27381

01-29-2009, 01:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You need no filter under normal conditions. A hood (always) and lens cap (during long down time) works for me. I'm in Southern California, so it beats me what protective measures you must take in other climes.

And here's a filter link that is pretty good.

Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page Forums
I was thinking more for polarizing filters, or any other creative filters (I borrowed a star filter for a while, i was considering picking up my own)... I always buy a UV filter for each of my lenses, and almost never take them off... I haven't had a scratch on one yet... but it gives me piece of mind knowing that I've got something protecting my lens... on my current lens I don't see enough of a difference in most cases to want to risk something (however unlikely) happening to the lens

Edit: looked at pictures of the lens in question... that is a big hood... I might not use it after all... in it's defense though its much better than the one that came with my tokina lens...

Last edited by total.boredom; 01-29-2009 at 01:51 AM.