Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 24-60 f2.8 at Cameta - Concern?

I found a Sigma 24-60mm at cameta store. I have read from other forum that this lens has some issues about focusing. My problem is, I'm in Bangkok , Thailand. What if the item will have focus problems? Will it easily be replaced? Is it Ok to buy this product, despite the issue of fucosing? I have no question about the Image Quality, I read a lot of positive reviews when it coes to IQ. Your input will be highly appreciated. Just waiting for suggestions before I'll click PAY in ebay.

01-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jadem Quote
I found a Sigma 24-60mm at cameta store. I have read from other forum that this lens has some issues about focusing. My problem is, I'm in Bangkok , Thailand. What if the item will have focus problems? Will it easily be replaced? Is it Ok to buy this product, despite the issue of fucosing? I have no question about the Image Quality, I read a lot of positive reviews when it coes to IQ. Your input will be highly appreciated. Just waiting for suggestions before I'll click PAY in ebay.
I think you get a one yr international warranty on that lens. Why not you check if there is any Sigma service centre in Bangkok or nearby?
Just in case when some qc or focusing issue is bothering you.
The worst scenario is to send it over to Japan which is where it was made

Daniel
01-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
In reality I like the review of this lens. HOever people are always talking about a defective focusing unit. I will check if theres is a sigma service center here in Thailand.
01-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #4

i have one of this lens and don't find anything wrong w/ the focusing. Good luck on your copy.

01-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought that lens f/ cameta about a year ago and it's been great. I will be giving it to my brother soon (who happens to be in Bangkok also right now!) since I have the tamron 28-75. But in some ways, I find the Sigma better... it's sharper, especially in corners at 2.8. It's a bit more prone to flair and does not focus as close (the difference is very small), but it's a great lens selling for a very good price.

What body are you using? if you have a k10 or k20, you have access to some focus adjustments via the menu. I have yet to do a focus adjustment for my sigma though, so I don't think it's too much of an issue.

Good luck if you get it!

Sawatdee!
01-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm using a K200d body. And I think there is no such feature as " focus adjustment." I emailed Sigma corporation Thailand if are they doing DSLR lens service, but until now I did not receive a response. What I worry if the item that i will receive is defective, then I have to ship it back to the US for repair. I hope I can find one here in bangkok. But I think it's so difficult, because Pentax is not a popular camera brand in Thailand. In fact in the school that I am working , I'm the only one using a Pentax DSLR the rest are using NIKON or CANON, but more on the NIKON. What makes me decide to buy the Pentax k200d is this forum. Thanks to all pentaxians.
01-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Don't forget they aren't making this lens any more, don't leave it too long to wait.

Calumet only show 24-70 on their website.