Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

New lens came today!

I am excited and just had to tell somebody. My new gold badge came in today! I finally caught the DA* 16-50mm in my price range (kind of). I'm still testing it out, but so far, I think I got a winner on the first try. On every test that I have done so far, focusing is spon on on my K20D. The edges are just a tiny bit soft on the wide end with the apature wide open, but that was expected. It is only the very fringes, and is only noticable when I'm shooting something that is meant to make the softness show up; like test sheets. It is sharp as a razor by F/4.0. Focusing is silent and faster than expected. I am used to the DA* 50-135mm and this one runs laps around it in the focusing speed department. On trying a few test shots, I am pleased with the low-light focusing ability of this lens, as well. Bokeh is very smooth, with no surprises. Like I said, I haven't finished testing yet, but so far, I am happy with the purchase. I doubt that I'll really get to test it out until Saturday.

Anyway, thanks for letting me brag for a minute about my new baby! Nobody was here for me to bore.

01-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on getting a good copy of this lens. I want one too. Make sure you post some pictures for us. Cheers.
01-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats Presto!!
01-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

sounds like good fun and much excitement! congrats

01-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote
Congrats on getting a good copy of this lens. I want one too. Make sure you post some pictures for us. Cheers.
I will maybe buy one together with k20d next week. Tell me how do I know if I got a good copy or not?

In this way I can try it in the store and see if I have to change it for an other.

Emil
01-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Enjoy it Presto its a great lens

I agree on the focusing speed as well against the DA 50-135

It is though a perfect partner for that lens. It has also kept me from outlaying money on my desired FA limited as I am not sure I would use the Limited anywhere near as much as I do the DA 16-50

Neil
01-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats Presto! Feels good to get another DA* huh? I just enjoyed shooting with my new 50-135 today and I'm eager to get out again this weekend for more. Have fun with the new lens
01-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey Presto...Enjoy your new lens, it's a great piece of glass.

01-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here's a picture I shot this morning with the new lens. I've done minimal processing on it. It was made with only sunlight from the window. The settings were: 45mm, 1/200 sec., F/2.8, ISO 800. Compression wasn't too kind to the image, but you can still tell something about how well the colors turn out. Let me know what you think!
Attached Images