Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

new macro lens

I'd like to pick up a new lens. I really love macro photography, I did it back when I had usage of a film SLR (the camera and lenses are no longer with me), and a bunch with PS. I now have a k200d, and would really like to pick up a good macro lens for it.

I've seen all sorts of posts on the pentax, tamron, sigmas? I don't mind buying a used one and I don't mind manual focus. What should I go for? Kiron and Vivitar are good lenses, but I have a hard time find them. Should I go with one of the newer ones, or keep looking used?

Also, and please excuse my ignorance about lens mounting, how do I know if a lens will actually fit my my k200d? I know I can buy adapters, but as with everyone, money isn't exactly flowing so I'd like to not have to buy any accessories, just the lens and be good to go.

Any and all help is much appreciated (and leads on where to pick one up would be good too).

Oren

01-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I've been lusting for a macro lens too and just found one of the Kiron/Dine 105/2.8 lenses at a local shop for @$150 ! You should have similar opportunities in the Atlanta area, don't you?
As far as mounting, with few exceptions anything that's Pentax K-mount will work. There are some caveats to using the older pre-auto lenses.
For full compatibility and functionality, the Pentax D FA 50 & 100mm lenses are excellent and available new from many sources and the DA Limited 35mm macro is available and very well reviewed too.
I'd suggest spending some time in the lens data base here for more info.

hth
01-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was available in the market place recently.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/46949-sigma-105mm-f2-8-a.html

This one will make you feel better about the prices for the Sigma AF, D FA 100mm etc.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/47149-voigtland...r-k-mount.html

PS. If I had Leno money, I'd be all over the Lanthar!
01-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
Hi, I've been lusting for a macro lens too and just found one of the Kiron/Dine 105/2.8 lenses at a local shop for @$150 ! You should have similar opportunities in the Atlanta area, don't you?
As far as mounting, with few exceptions anything that's Pentax K-mount will work. There are some caveats to using the older pre-auto lenses.
For full compatibility and functionality, the Pentax D FA 50 & 100mm lenses are excellent and available new from many sources and the DA Limited 35mm macro is available and very well reviewed too.
I'd suggest spending some time in the lens data base here for more info.

hth
Did you buy the K/D 105/2.8...if not, can you buy it for me...serious. (I am at dayton, Ohio)
Thanks

01-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Did you buy the K/D 105/2.8...if not, can you buy it for me...serious. (I am at dayton, Ohio)
Thanks
oh yeah, I bought it. It actually came from a dentist's office and meticulous would be an understatement in this case. It's absolutely flawless and has the original caps, but unfortunately no ring flash.
Otherwise, I'd be glad to pick it up for you.

edit: actually I'm almost broke until next month, so I gave a $50 deposit and will pick it up as soon as I get a check from somebody

Last edited by StevenVH; 01-29-2009 at 05:45 PM.
01-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Did you see this one Oatman?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/42497-vivitar-1...tml#post471424
01-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Moved to Lens Forum

01-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

IMO...

Best AF macro lens right now, IMO: Sigma 70 f/2.8 EX DG. One of the sharpest if not the sharpest macro lens you can buy, and 70mm f/2.8 doubles as a good portrait/general telephoto lens.

Best MF macro: Voigtlander 125mm, Vivitar/Dine/Kiron 100/105 2.5/2.8 macro. I guess the A* 200 macro might be great also, but so few folks seem to have it.

2nd Best MF macro with a bullet: A 50 2.8 (1:2 only, but it's so hand-holdable and might be Pentax's sharpest lens.)
01-31-2009, 05:43 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I second Jay's opinion on the Sigma 70mm. It's an awesome lens.

What you go for depends upon what you want to shoot. You want to shoot insects...then 70mm might be too short for you. If you want general purpose macro, with a lot of utility and have $300...then I would HIGHLY recommend.

c[_]