Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Is there alot of problems with the SDM AF motor?

I have purchased (not paid) a Pentax DA 17-70mm f/4 SDM from ProDigital2000.
After I read about some faulty SDM AF motors I have concerns...
What is the chance I get a faulty AF motor?
Is this a problem on Pentax lenses?

I will save about 170 USD if I buy from PD2000.

Here in Norway I'll get 5 years complaint rights if the product is meant to last longer than 5 years. I will be getting alot for those 170 USDs if there is a good chance the SDM AF motor will fail two years from now.

Should I buy the lens from PD2000 and save 170USD or buy it here in Norway?

Translated with google:
QuoteQuote:
Complaint

If you purchase an item with the missing, the law gives you certain consumer rights. An item is deficient if it is not that you have agreed. By many purchases are not agreed on anything in particular with regard to product quality, etc. Then you have the consumer law requirements that the product has the same features and durability that similar things in the same price range. You may also claim that the product has the qualities and the quality that the seller has stated to you directly or through its marketing.

However, it is not a shortage if the error is caused by abnormal wear and tear or improper use - eg. that you have used it in violation of the manual, or that it has been subject to external influence - eg. lightning. Is there such reasons for the error, you usually do not claim that the seller cover your expenses for example. repair or replacement.

If the new TV set or your washing machine stops functioning three years after you bought it, the seller will usually pay repairs etc .... If there is doubt about the reason for the lack seller can not escape responsibility by claiming that the error is caused by wear and tear or abnormal use. There are sellers who must substantiate that the failure is due to circumstances you are responsible for. It will, in other words, say that if the sellers can not find the cause of the error must be the seller cover the repairs.

A part sellers reject claims with an assertion that some parts of the goods must be expected to have a shorter life. In a story on a video has the Supreme Court decided that the failure of the electronic components with long life that does not require general maintenance, you have requirements for free repair in the entire 5-year period. This principle applies also for the other products that in normal use has a long life. After consumer law, the seller also has a strict duty of disclosure that says he must disclose any relationship that you have reason to expect to have. This means that you have a right to information if it is part of the product that must be expected to have a shorter life, or who need special maintenance. If the seller has not given you this information (either directly, in manual or similar) will often be a shortage if it fails for good in the claim period.

Last edited by NorthPentax; 01-30-2009 at 12:49 PM.
01-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Engrish translation aside, what you say is that if you buy the lens in Norway, you basically get a 5-year sort-of-warranty. If you buy it from the USA, you save 170 and lose most of your warranty.

Personally, I'd buy it from Norway as warranty is a big plus for me.
01-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no experience with the SDM motors, but if I were you, I'd buy in Norway and get the extended warranty.

Also consider that you may have to pay Customs/VAT in Norway so the $170 savings can quickly erode!
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The 170USD is what I save, have included the S&H and VAT/TAX.

The lens costs 703USD in Norway.
533USD with shipping from Canada and Norwegian taxes included.

I guess both of you are right. I didn't think about the SDM motor before I bid on the lens.
I have no doubt about buying lenses without SDM AF motor from Hong Kong or Canada. It seems that Pentax have a good quality controll before their products are shipped.

I just hope Prodigital don't mark me as an non paying bidder, they shouldn't, I have purchased Pentax gear for about 2000USD from them.

01-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've had the DA*16-50 and 50-135 for over a year (bought in Dec '07), no problems with either one. Bought the DA*200 early last year, and the DA*300 mid last year, and no problems with them either.

There do seem to be posts about SDM motor failures, but it's hard to say whether or not the rate is unnecessarily high since we don't really have sales numbers to compare it to. You also have to remember that people experiencing failures are much more likely to post, so that skews the perception as well.

Now...I just hope mine don't fail next week.
01-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I seen some posts about the SDM motor failures. There is probably a bigger chance that a SDM motor driven lens fails, than a lens without AF motor.

If I look at it this way, it's only 2,83USD pr. month for the extra "warranty".

Thanks for your help, not easy to decide.

Will post a thread about the DA 17-70mm after I have tested it. I looks promising, I've read the review on photozone.de
01-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
There do seem to be posts about SDM motor failures, but it's hard to say whether or not the rate is unnecessarily high since we don't really have sales numbers to compare it to. You also have to remember that people experiencing failures are much more likely to post, so that skews the perception as well.
Very good point, and one that seems to be too often overlooked. People having no problem with their gear do not complain, and as a rule do not publicly express their satisfaction either. That's one thing I learned during my stint in customer support (I would have been extremely depressed with regards to my employer's service/product otherwise :ugh

01-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Most if not all SDM failures that I heard of were the DA*1650 (including my own copy), one of the very first SDM lens by Pentax. I'm guessing there might be some design issues in that lens, thus more problems. And that lens supports both SDM and screw-driven AF, a lot more complicate than the SDM only DA1770. I wouldn't worry too much about the SDM failure if I were buying a DA1770.
01-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
I have purchased (not paid) a Pentax DA 17-70mm f/4 SDM from ProDigital2000.
After I read about some faulty SDM AF motors I have concerns...
What is the chance I get a faulty AF motor?
Unfortunately, no one here knows. Pentax will have data based on their warranty and repair records, but of course they're not talking. Anecdotal experiences only tell what is possible, not what is likely - and usually are contradictory.

Jer
01-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks.
I bought the DA17-70mm and the DA*50-135 here in Norway.