Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #1

old K mount lens on DSLRs

Wondering if someone can give me some advice on using old k-mount lenses on the digital SLR pentax cameras. I've bought a couple of k-mount lenses (Vivitar & Paragon) which fit fine on my k100d but I seem to be getting a strange error message on the camera. I have selected manual mode as well on the camera

first pic shows the error message: the AV sign with no information comes up & flashes. Also apart from remaining pictures on the memory card nothing else is displayed on the camera display!

second pic shows the mount of the lens itself (note: there is no flange)

anyone know why/how I can get the lenses to work on my camera?

thanks

Attached Images

01-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The camera can not tell what aperture the lens is at. There are no electrical contacts on the lens.
What you see on the LCD is normal.
01-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't have the K100, but I guess it works the same as for the K20. Dit you switch the option "Using aperture ring" in the menu?

Wildlifephotog, you are right of course!

Last edited by Rense; 01-30-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: comment on wildlifephotog
01-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
sorry - I don't buy that reason. You see the thing is, I have some other old k-mount lenses also where there is a flange, no electrical contacts on them, and they work fine! I mean that was the whole reason of sticking with Pentax - so I could use old lenses with new the DSLR range.

So I'm confused why the camera will accept some old lenses and not others. I've attached a pic of the mount of a 24mm Cosina lens with no electrical contacts on it whatsoever. This lens works perfectly on my k100d

Rense - how do I get to that option of "using aperture ring"? can't seem to find it

Attached Images

Last edited by popalock; 01-30-2009 at 07:58 AM.
01-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Banned

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/32-can-...ist-ds-dl.html

read through this carefully. this is why we have a photography knowledge base sub forum.

all m42 screw mount lenses (with adapter) and all K mount lenses can be used on Pentax digital SLRs. HOWEVER, Pentax stopped production on the mechanical linkage for manual K mount lenses back in the mid or late 90's. if your manual focus lens has the 'A' contact on it, the camera will know and be able to control the aperture. if it is a pre A-series lens your camera will not know what the aperture is nor will it be able to control it. you have to use stop-down metering. I don't mean to sound rude and am genuinely trying to help but if you bought a pentax DSLR for use of legacy glass it would have helped to do some research before hand.
01-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #6

see:
K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
(yanked from the k100d thread in the knowledge base)
Should walk you through the basics
01-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks all! yup works fine. have been looking for a thread on this but found nothing. Obviously my research skills are in need of improving