Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Viv Macro 2x TC + DA 10-17 = FISHEYE MACRO!

I'm eagerly awaiting my first actual macro lens, an A 50/2.8.

I've previously done macro through my FA50/1.4 on a Vivitar PKA 2x Macro TC. I'd noticed the optical phenomenon that its extension-tube function has more impact on close focusing with shorter focal length lenses than longer ones, but I hadn't followed this to its logical conclusion before.

Here's what happened when I mounted the FA*24, and then the DA 10-17:

HERE'S THE SCALE WE'RE DEALING WITH:

Using the Viv 2x Macro TC with its intended standard 50mm partner, I indeed got nicely tight on head, front of shell and forepaws of the turtle.

But with my swanky new FA*24...

...Magnified down to only fitting head + one paw. The long dimension at maximum macro setting is about 1 cm, well beyond 1:1.

So then I decided to get silly, remembering that the DA 10-17 has a surprisingly short minimum focus distance to begin with, and the extension effect on the Viv TC should make it go crazy close.

Even at 17mm, the extension tube of the Viv TC can potentially reduce minimum focus distance to CLOSER THAN THE FRONT ELEMENT OF THE LENS! I took the following shot with the tiny turtle pin LITERALLY TOUCHING THE GLASS (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!):

Totally impractical, but due to the maximal proximity, the DA10-17 at 17mm produces the most magnified macro of any lens I currently own. Of course, 0cm is NOT a workable macro shooting distance!

Still whodda thunk you can shoot FISHEYE MACRO?

Can't wait for the A 50/2.8 macro to come, and I can get some real macro work in, without scratching up the front elements of my lenses!

01-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

That's sick. I do like the fact that you can get very close without the TC...

01-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Cool combination! I have to try this out!
01-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about close-ups when I got the DA10-17 and so frankly didn't even notice the short minimum focal distance until I started putting it through it's paces. And I still haven't internalized that this lens isn't just about seeing a wide range, but working intimately with subjects that you could fit into frame from further away with another lens, but which you can see differently with this lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Cool combination! I have to try this out!
DISCLAIMER: Like I said, the ~0" working distance is not recommended, and I can't be held responsible if you scratch your front element! But have fun playing!

01-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote

Wait, is that with the bare 10-17, then?
01-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I love it!
01-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Wait, is that with the bare 10-17, then?
Yep. The front element was practically touching that ant, but the Fisheye makes it look a lot farther away than it actually was.
01-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I did basically try the same thing here, more or less chasing the bumblebee in front of me with the lens, shooting continuously, but the fish eye makes it look like a fairly long distance. It is also able to keep very much of the environment in focus. While this isn't strictly macro you can get fairly close to a bug and place it in its environment. When the spring comes I will try it with my 2x Kenko macro converter on it.

DA10-17 on K20D.

01-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Love the "ant's eye view" of the bee! (and previously, the "ant's eye view" of the ant--should have said before).

Good luck getting close enough to bugs to use the macro function of the TC! Besides which, the combined effects of magnifying OOFness via TC + shallower DoF through any use of macro extension will seriously narrow the normally wide DoF of the Fisheye.

...he said, as though he thought there might actually be a practical application to the macro fisheye, in which context this would be a meaningful drawback.

If this silly little thread leads people to create some viable images, I'll be hugely amused! More likely, it'll lead a couple people to have some fun with their gear. Enjoy!
02-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

David, I hope you are buying the 50mm macro lens so you can mount it on the 2x macro TC
02-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, keen to pair the A 50/2.8 macro with the Viv TC, but also give it a workout on its own. 50/2.8 "macro" portraiture? I love Karsh's medium format character portraits. I'm dying to see how many tiny wrinkles & pores I can get out of people's faces! Heh heh heh...

DW
02-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fisheye + extension tube

I can contribute t this one, too:

Fisheye + extension tube.
It only works with the shortest of the three tubes set.
You have to put the subject directly on the front lens.
With larger tubes the closest focussing distance will be within the lens!
That is sick!