Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Street Candids with Fa 43 + 77 Ltd

Just these 2 lenses, street candids can be really fun!

Darren M taught me a few things regarding street candids - Be Brave. Hence I got a bit of juice out of his protrait experiences.

Fa 43 seems to get a bit of framing into a shot adding some sentiment and perspective

Fa 77 seems to be of more use in headshot (more practical for people like me shy and avoiding confrontation)

I saw Darren constantly using Fa 31 ltd on street candids literally standing in their faces taking shots. The funny thing was that these people's emotions flew naturally

I found Fa 43 doing quite well when subjects are less than 2 metres away from the camera; the contrast is good when f3.5 is reached ; the details are more vivid in some ways

Examples:

1/90s f/4.0 at 43.0mm iso400 full exif

Fa 77 proves to me again that it performs sadly in bright light. I preferred to use the lens at f2.4 to f4 with 3+ neutral density filter. I often get wash out appearance when the lighting is really harsh.

1/500s f/3.5 at 77.0mm iso100 full exif

Fa 43 can be quite good for street candids for people who do not dare to be confrontational to strangers in the streets - it adds great perspective to the shot!

03-26-2007, 02:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 43 can perform well James... that first shot is so sharp and the subject just 'pops' out of the background...

Christie likes no 5 the best I think ;-)
03-26-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
The 43 can perform well James... that first shot is so sharp and the subject just 'pops' out of the background...

Christie likes no 5 the best I think ;-)
Hey Joel. I am about to log off to eat dinner!

Christie seems to aggree with me - I like No 5 as well.

Darren seems to share your view preferring No 1

p.s. Pm me regarding pentax sensor cleaning kit
03-26-2007, 04:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Those are very good - #6 is my fave

03-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

well done, James! I like all of them! Great (candid) shots! And also great eyes and lenses...
03-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Excellent..

I am awestruck by these images...So intimate. The seventh image from the top in B&W is a masterpiece. It should be printed in an A2 format on archival paper, framed and exposed..

Bravo!
Ben
03-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #7

I'd have to pick #1 and #7. The face in #1 tells a powerful story. #7 evokes so much emotion of a private moment caught on film (or silicon as the case may be). It seems very intimate to me. There may have been 100 other people around, but this moment is about the subject and the photographer, nothing else.

More images that I cam learn from.
Thanks,
Chris
03-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Fantastic work James. Really great job with the Street candids. An enjoyable viewing.
Cheers.

03-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
James,

Very nice and enjoyable collection here.

#'s 1 and 2 really show the ultimate qualities of this lens that I don't think many who own it ever find out about. Rich tones, great contrast and resonance in the images.

# 6 is wonderful too. Totally hate the yellowish/red cast that the smoke creates but at the same time it adds to the mystery of the image and makes me want to see more. The female in this image is an anchor to the unseen world around her and her expression is intriguing.

#7 I must be missing what the others see. But that is what is great about photography...everybody is affected differently by images.

#8. Love the expression and beads of sweat that tell their own story. Kinda reminds me of "Curly" from the Three Stooges.

Wonderful, wonderful captures. Glad you took the time to capture them and share them.

I often wish I had the ----- to capture images "up close and personal". But here in the States that could get you killed

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 03-26-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: text
03-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I am awestruck by these images...So intimate. The seventh image from the top in B&W is a masterpiece. It should be printed in an A2 format on archival paper, framed and exposed..

Bravo!
Ben
Comments coming from you made me feel so flattered. I will frame that shot after returning to Melbourne Australia. I just snapped the shot whenever Darren made a click - that is what makes the difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
Those are very good - #6 is my fave
The incense pot happened to provide a framing for me. Quite happy that I captured the moments

Without Darren nearby doing the candids on my own, my shots became dull and boring. I would have to find Darren for some more shooting

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
I'd have to pick #1 and #7. The face in #1 tells a powerful story. #7 evokes so much emotion of a private moment caught on film (or silicon as the case may be). It seems very intimate to me. There may have been 100 other people around, but this moment is about the subject and the photographer, nothing else.

More images that I cam learn from.
Thanks,
Chris
Actually I had used Fa 43 for the shot as well but the feeling was not there in the photo. Fa 77 ltd happened to produce a better atmosphere

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
Fantastic work James. Really great job with the Street candids. An enjoyable viewing.
Cheers.
Scott, plenty of stuff here to shoot. I think Fa43 is really a good lens to use. I felt I was not let down when I asked the questions regarding this lens in the forum. Too many people criticised this lens as a terrible lens. I totally resented these comments now.

The sweet spot for fa 43 is f3.5 to 5.6 with subjects within 2 metres of distance. Blue light in early morning or magic hour would be the fantastic setting for this lens as the surreal characteristic of this lens popped out.
QuoteOriginally posted by scg Quote
James,

Very nice and enjoyable collection here.

#'s 1 and 2 really show the ultimate qualities of this lens that I don't think many who own it ever find out about. Rich tones, great contrast and resonance in the images.

# 6 is wonderful too. Totally hate the yellowish/red cast that the smoke creates but at the same time it adds to the mystery of the image and makes me want to see more. The female in this image is an anchor to the unseen world around her and her expression is intriguing.

#7 I must be missing what the others see. But that is what is great about photography...everybody is affected differently by images.

#8. Love the expression and beads of sweat that tell their own story. Kinda reminds me of "Curly" from the Three Stooges.

Wonderful, wonderful captures. Glad you took the time to capture them and share them.

I often wish I had the ----- to capture images "up close and personal". But here in the States that could get you killed

Stephen
Thanks a lot Stephen. I had seen the protraits done by CS LEE using Fa 43 ltd which is just amazingly serene. I would not dare post my shots next to his...

I did try my candid street photography in New York 2001. People did seem to look quite paranoid there ...