Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Adjusting the focus - K10D to Pentax 35/2

Hi everyone.

A week ago I just bought a new Pentax 35/2 AL. I was so happy till founding out the focus is missing in about 90% of the shots - it was on the background, or wasn't near at all...

I have another two lenses - Sigma 28-70/2.8 and Takumar 55/1.8. No problem focusing with both of them.

So I returned the Pentax 35/2 first for testing - at the service they said everything is OK. So I gave the body K10D to test it with the lens. If the problem is there - they said that will adjust the body to the lens.

So my asking is - sorry for not been well informed - if the body is adjusted to one specific lens - would it be a problem to focus with the other lenses?

Thank you.

01-31-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

what is your aperture setting? what is your focus settings? Is it front focusing only?

Can you post an example or two with exif?

Jason
01-31-2009, 02:38 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Free Soul Quote

... So my asking is - sorry for not been well informed - if the body is adjusted to one specific lens - would it be a problem to focus with the other lenses?
Almost certainly. For this reason I upgraded to the K20D.
01-31-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
what is your aperture setting? what is your focus settings? Is it front focusing only?

Can you post an example or two with exif?

Jason
Unfortunately I was so dissapointed that I deleted them. But I had made many tries at diffrent priorities - aperture's, shutter's, both...At low ISO...At 5.6 and at 2 blend's number...and between. It was more back-focusing, not sharp at all....

01-31-2009, 03:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
Almost certainly. For this reason I upgraded to the K20D.
Really?!?....
I was hoping that K10 has some system to "remember" the focus adjustment for a specific lens, and it will recognize diffrent lenses and adjustments...
01-31-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here, I found two survived shots - the "best" of all the rest...

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous

Here the docus should be at the front snowdrop. I made several shots - all were like this - backfocused...

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous

Also I had 2 images at the kids, focusing at them, but focus at the wall - 2-3 meters behind! This was never happened before! I am shooting for 2 years...

Follow the links for EXIF.
01-31-2009, 03:47 AM   #7

There is a way to enter in debug mode on K10D to adjust focus but it will affect all your lenses .

After spending some time reading quite a lot and asking a Pentax technician, it seems that Pentax Service can do some focus adjustments on K10D body up to 4 different pentax lenses, using a software they only have. If this is true or not somebody else should tell us.

On K20D this is available through menu.

I am also thinking about upgrading to K20D as soon as I can

01-31-2009, 04:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Does ir back focuses or focuses on something in background?
If the second, i had/have something similar with my sigma 30/1.4 and with 35/2 at shop on my k100ds.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/45604-k100ds-focus...naccuracy.html
Still have to go for warranty, but i afraid that as other users initally tought (replied to my post) and your expierience showed, the shop will think everything is as it should be.
So ill be very interested to hear your solution.
01-31-2009, 04:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all replies!

QuoteQuote:
Does ir back focuses or focuses on something in background?
If there is some closer object behind, it focuses on it, otherwise the focus is missing, or goes somewhere aside (I pointed to the eyes - the focus runs on the shoulder...), the image seems blured and very mild...

I'll read your posted thread.

No ideas I have till now...May be I should try another 35/2 on my K10D...

On Monday I will know the service's testing results. But I expect they'll say there is no problem.

Last edited by Free Soul; 01-31-2009 at 06:02 AM.
01-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice (well actually not.. focusing problems never are nice).
Sounds same as i expierienced. Keep us posted about the progress.
02-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
same problem

I thought I would respond because I have the same set-up and I believe the same problem. My k10d was backfocusing so poorly I had quit using it. I didn't try to figure it out initially. I shot some photos using a test chart and tripod and could easily see the backfocus(something I already knew).

Upgrade to firmware 1.1. The debug mode will allow adjusting the backfocus. I knew it wasn't the lens because I took it back to the B&M store where purchased and proved sharp on another K10d. I can't tell the adjustment has hurt my focus with other lenses. I may not have the knowledge of others on this forum but I'm very happy with the corrections I made. Search some on the forums for instructions or Google. I think it will save your buying a new body.

That FA 35/2 should be razor sharp and make you smile.

Brent
02-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Have have this same camera and this same lens and do not have any sorts of problems with it mis-focusing, back focusing, etc.

How is your focus select dial set? auto, select, center?

Jason
02-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi, ustacood!
Your post is a light in the tunnel!
I have never upgraded till now to firmware, I do have to read instructions, is it hard to be done? Should I ask to do it in the service?

I really don't intend to have new body soon, I am glad with my K10D, and was thinking to upgrade lenses instead. If the problem will be solved so easy, I will be so, so happy!

Jasvox, I made some test on table-charts with SELECT mode - and here I choose center. The other were also "selected" focus, but not pointing the center.

ytterbium, today may be it will be known. Thank you.
02-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi again.

I just talked to the guy from the service.

The body is OK.
The lens is OK.
The body is not compatible with the lens.

It seems cooldude14es was right.

Now in the service they'll tune the body to the lens and will try if this affect other lenses' focus.
Wish me luck!

I really wanted that lens, but if it will affect every other lens, I will replace it.
02-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

This sounds funny. Was he exactly using words not compatible?
Wich bodies then should be?
Btw, i think someone said k10d can "remember" up to 4 different lenses, when adjusted/calibrated at service and use some default for all others (non adjusted). So unless they adjusts this global setting, others should be still fine. If all the above is true at all.

Thanks for the information. Do they need some sample shots at service, or they understand the issue just by explanation? I'd like to bring my cam to the service, but have no time to make samples in good light.