Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For their era Takumars are small and not heavy. But they are all metal etc. The SMC-M and SMC-A range would be somewhat lighter but not necessarily smaller... though the max aperture is likely to be wider. And in truth, we do have to give credit to Pentax, the designs usually are better or equal to the Takumar standard, but with added speed.

02-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
Inactive Account

M42 lenses are harder to change while running from one end of a beach to the other trying to catch a ship going by. I have tried. K mount lenses have convenience nailed, but there wouldn't be a market for Takumars if the generations of lenses that came after had so thoroughly whipped their butts. Based on the photographs I've seen here and elsewhere, I have to conclude that there hasn't been a tremendous increase in IQ or performance since the Takumar era; lenses have simply become lighter, smaller, and more automated than their forebears.

For all it's worth, both systems have their benefits and drawbacks, but I like the idea of an all-metal system, regardless of the weight. My kit bag is about the same vintage as my SP-F, and fully loaded with film, filters, a few lenses, the camera, and the flash, it weighs about 8 pounds.
02-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies to this...so, would it be true to say that a lens in general is a lens but the mount is more than that?!

I have a couple Taks with the genuine M42 adaptor and I too don't have much trouble other than getting the screwmount started sometimes...probably cause of two right hands

My Taks are primes and I was looking for a quality M42 mount zoom to have a little more flexibility when something pops up. I was thinking this would suit me since I came across one of the M42 Vivitar Series 1 zooms.

Thanks again
Steve
02-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I can't understand how people have trouble installing and removing the adapter."

I can screw up the installation of a paperclip, Mike--the KISS principle was designed for people like me.

02-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #20
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The benifit is that the lens can be used in AV mode and the camera will meter corectly (well, within the limits of metering variation caused by the focus screen, but that is another topic)

If you compaire this to an SMC-M lens (K mount), the camera stops the lens down at the moment just before the shutter trips. This is after the camera has metered the sceen. The result is that if you use the M lens in AV mode, it will underexpose at all apertures except wide open.

For this reason, I find using M42 lenses a great deal more versitile then the K or M lenses.
I like using my M42's much more then the K mounts precisely because the metering is more accurate in Av mode then M mode green-button metering with the K's.

I also like stopping down before the shot to preview my DOF.

It also seems like the Taks are generally cheaper than the corresponding K glass, which never hurts.
02-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote

There is another condition around here which is also contagious. It's called CBA.
CBA? huh is that the one where the wife finds the reciept and you catch Can't Buy Anything disease for a couple of months??