Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #1

Carl Zeiss and Jena Flektogon

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35/2.4 MC version:

This lens has one blemish: a drilled hole through the housing case in the back so that the K-mount retention mechanism can hold the lens in place. This is useful if you remove the pin in the official M42-K-mount adapter. Essentially converting the M42 screw mount to a dedicated K-mount.

This copy, I believe, is one of the best you can find out there. Optically, mechanically, and Cosmetically (minus the hole adjustment). A legendary wide angle lens, and arguably one of the best wide angle primes in M42 mount. Zeiss lenses just have that something special, and the color reproduction is considered to be the best in this class. This lens is sharp wide open, and I have yet to encounter Chroma in any picture.

One of the most wanted Carl Zeiss lens generally. This is very good lens for macro photography too. It can render very sharp images like the Sonnar 135 mm or Konica Hexanon normal and short-telephoto lens.

These are becoming very scarce now, with resultant higher prices.

Yes, it's a manual focus but even with today's modern autofocus lenses, the majority of photographers still prefer manual focus, for that single pixel sharpness in their photos.

Attached Images

Last edited by Tdo0003; 02-02-2009 at 03:55 PM.
02-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Shot the above images with flektogon, carl zeiss Jena in the night, wide open.

I like the colors and sharpness from the lens too.

marcus
02-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #3

i have a Flektogon (m42) me too!

in "zebra" version: very nice lens.
02-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Marcus,
Those are some brilliant colors! from the CZ Flektogon, nice job.

Td

02-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tdo0003 Quote
Marcus,
Those are some brilliant colors! from the CZ Flektogon, nice job.

Td
Tks, Td,

The lens I have is the same as yours bought last early last yr and optics is great but my focusing is a little stiff, still okay considering the age.

another two shots in chinatown night before the Lunar New Year. Wide open higher ISO cos of the flouresent lights from the stalls.

M42 screw mt, flektogon. original images from K10D, No PP done.....

marcus

Last edited by marcusyoung; 02-01-2009 at 10:25 PM.
02-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Mine is the "electric" version and is a bit battered - the filter ring is mangled, and focus is a little stiff in places. But the optics and aperture are pristine. I've 'blemished' mine by drilling a hole for the locking pin, which makes it verty much more usable.

It snowed today, so I took some shots with the Flek, these are f5.6 to f11 and #2 has been preprocessed (B&W and then superimpose the red barriers back on top).

Richard
02-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #7

i have a very good copy of Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f2.8 (m42) in "zebra" version. all metal.

maybe i want to sell it: contact me if you want more info :-)
02-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
CZ Flek 35mm 2.4

Wide Open:

Close up:

100% crop

Bokeh:

02-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
Mine is the "electric" version and is a bit battered - the filter ring is mangled, and focus is a little stiff in places. But the optics and aperture are pristine. I've 'blemished' mine by drilling a hole for the locking pin, which makes it verty much more usable.

It snowed today, so I took some shots with the Flek, these are f5.6 to f11 and #2 has been preprocessed (B&W and then superimpose the red barriers back on top).
Great shots Richard, I like #1 the most. Do you know what the difference is between the "electric" version?
Do you have it to show?
02-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tdo0003 Quote
Great shots Richard, I like #1 the most. Do you know what the difference is between the "electric" version?
Do you have it to show?
Thanks Td. The Flek is a nice lens. The "electric" version has three contacts that indicate the aperture selected. These could be used by the later Praktica M42 cameras so that you could focus wide open in A mode on the lens and the camera TTL metering could still be used. My lens is rather battered and was missing some screws, when I opened it up to fix the stiff focussing I removed the carbon track that was used in the "electric" mechanism, so it is now no longer electric! Other than the contacts, I don't think that there are any differences with the non-electric ones.

Here's another Flek picture. This is the obligatory flower picture wide open:

Richard