Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentacon Auto 50mm/1.8

Today, I found this lens at a pawn shop for $25. I wanted a fast, prime lens, and - when the owner produced it - I jumped right on it. He also had a Calman Auto Tele 2X Converter For Pentax-K, which I also got for $25.

But back to the former. Right after that, I visited a camera outlet to get myself a lens/sensor cleaning device, and asked the salesman about the usage of these with my K10D. I knew that the 50mm was a 'screw-mount', and had thought that some type of mounting converter, for it, would be readily available - and not costly at all. He had no idea where I could get one, and it may turn out where I'll have to list it for sale (to someone who already has such a converter that could be switched from another of their lens). It's really a shame...because I really thought that I was on to something that I could use on my unit (oh well).

As far as the Tele Converter is concerned, I may be listing that also. I was informed that I would lose some of the camera's functionality (such as metering, etc.) by utilizing it. I haven't really gotten into 'metering', that much at all, but know that I eventually will.

I just wanted to share this with you.
......................................................................................................................................................................................

UPDATE!!! I just read another member's post about the usage of two particular lens adapters from B&H, and it made me wonder about something: Is it just possible that there may be an adapter for this lens that I bought? The other poster mentioned something about an adapter for an M4-2 mount (or something like that), and I don't know what kind of screw mount is on this lens. Any help, here, would be MOST appreciated.

Last edited by NLAlston; 03-26-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Update.
03-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
nathan,
B&H & adorama both carry the adapters for 15usd. i started another thread to see if they are usable as some of these will not let you have infinty focus.
03-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
nathan,
B&H & adorama both carry the adapters for 15usd. i started another thread to see if they are usable as some of these will not let you have infinty focus.
Thanks a WHOLE LOT, Roy.

I really do appreciate your chiming in on this very important matter, for me. Now, it is just about letting them know what lens I have, so as to get the 'right' adapter (I don't know what type of screw mount this is).
03-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #4

Well, I have Pentacon 35/2.8 and it's M42. If you are unsure about your lens, try google with full name of the lens or take it with you to a camera store where you think you can buy adapter.

03-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #5

Both B&H and Adorama sell adapters that allow infinity focus, for example, the Kalt adapter. The only downside to these adapters, in comparison to the Pentax-made adapter, is that they are sticky to remove from the camera.
03-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Branimir Quote
Well, I have Pentacon 35/2.8 and it's M42. If you are unsure about your lens, try google with full name of the lens or take it with you to a camera store where you think you can buy adapter.
Branimir ~ Thanks.

I had, indeed, taken these lens to a camera outlet when I bought my lens & sensor cleaning equipment, and the input that I got from that salesperson was a little disheartening. He informed me that even "IF" I could find such an adapter, the cost - in consideration of that particular lens - would not be worth the amount spent for it. He went on to state that the 'bayonet' type of that lens went for no more than a hundred dollars, and was actually saying (I guess) that what I had wasn't even worth trying to put on my camera.

But here is where I come, to get the "real" word on the matter. If this lens can be adapted to my camera - and offer some worth in low-light situations, then I would be a mighty happy camper.

I may just go ahead and order that M4-2 adapter, and see how I make out with it. If, for some reason, it isn't proper, then I am sure that it can be returned for refund (I'll check their return policy first, though).
03-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normant Quote
Both B&H and Adorama sell adapters that allow infinity focus, for example, the Kalt adapter. The only downside to these adapters, in comparison to the Pentax-made adapter, is that they are sticky to remove from the camera.
Thanks to you, too, Normant.

I will try to get a Pentax made adapter (if possible) for this lens. I don't wish to, possibly, open the door to problems, with the frequent installation & removal of a 'Kalt' adapter from the body of my camera.