Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Um.

I'd use a UV filter no matter the price of the lens cause i'm super paranoid. There are UV filters out there that are very very thin and let in more light than cheaper, more conventional filters.

So if I had a lens like your's and I was concerned about preserving the quality, I'd get one of those arm and a leg Hoya Pro UV filters that have 12 or more layers and are 3mm thick (reg. ones i think are 5mm), the light they let thru is something liek 99.7% vs. 95% or less for the cheaper ones. The B+W MRC ones are supposed to be top-knotch too.

I'd wrap a teddy bear around it for good measure.

Last edited by skydragoness; 03-27-2007 at 11:31 AM.
03-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take the vast majority of my shots on the riverside where there is often spray, rain and sand about.

I guess it's not the best sort of situation for a camera to be in so I always use a filter if I have one - usually a UV/Skylight or sometimes a Polariser. Personally, I've found that the HOYA HMC ones are pretty decent and don't degrade the image quality too much.

Even taking into consideration the fact that some of my lenses have been been purchased quite cheaply care of eBay i'm not too happy to see them ruined for the sake of a $10 UV filter. Hence the reason why I have lots of them; almost enough to fit every lens that I have.
03-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
So, if something were to smash up the front element of a lens, how much would that cost to fix?
A he11 of a lot more than a good multicoated Hoya filter!
03-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
A he11 of a lot more than a good multicoated Hoya filter!
How much "he11"? Consider also factoring in the difference between money actually spent and "potential" money -- if it costs $200 to repair the front element, but there's only a 10% chance of ever needing to, in a way, that's like the cost is only $20. Same deal as with buying "extended warranty" coverage for electronics....

Of course, it may be worth it just for the peace of mind....

03-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #20
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
So, if something were to smash up the front element of a lens, how much would that cost to fix?
i called pentax to see if they had a replacement front lens for the A*300. well, they did not but she quoted me price of $310usd if they had one. what do you think?
03-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better the cost of a UV filter than the cost of repair ,or worse, replacement of an expensive lens. Does the filter effect the quality of the photo that much?
I think not, but then again, it is easily removed for that one in a lifetime shot.
Go with the filter at all times is my suggestion.