Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maximum mag of the DA* 60-250mm

Hi All,

Just a quick Hi before I post my message as this is my first post - some of you may know of me from dpreview where I post. I thought I should spread my wings a bit!

Anyway like everyone else I am looking forward to the near-mythical DA* 60-250mm f/4 finally being released but something has been bothering me about its published specs: its maximum magnification.

It has a minimum focus distance of 1.1m the same as most 50-200s but its maximum magnification is published as being just 0.18x - a lot less than the 0.25x of the aforementioned 50-200s despite being 50mm longer.

Does anyone else know why this is? Is it an error in the specs or something to do with its construction? It concerns me because a high magnification is one of the appealing things about a lens which stretches to 250mm.

02-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don`t know if the numbers are accurate but .25 to .18 is a pretty marginal loss. If you crop to the same magnification youd have on an ordinary zoom chances are the 60-250's results will be better due to better optics and resolution. I wouldn't worry about it.
02-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
I don`t know if the numbers are accurate but .25 to .18 is a pretty marginal loss. If you crop to the same magnification youd have on an ordinary zoom chances are the 60-250's results will be better due to better optics and resolution. I wouldn't worry about it.
The figures come from press releases as reported here: Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

I'm mainly just curious to know why there is a descrepancy. As you say the difference isn't huge but it is still there.