Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
15mm ltd sighting

Well sorta. Ned Bunnell (yes, the man some of you love to hate) shooting with a 15mm ltd "pre-production" sample. No shots of the lens, but instead shots *with* the lens (more important imho).

NED BUNNELL: Harry, the Pelican

02-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Well sorta. Ned Bunnell (yes, the man some of you love to hate) shooting with a 15mm ltd "pre-production" sample. No shots of the lens, but instead shots *with* the lens (more important imho).
You've either made my day or ruined it, not sure which :-). There had been rumors floating around that the DA15 was being shelved (along with the DA*30 and maybe something else) and I had all but decided to just get a DA21 instead as my next lens purchase. Of course, the posted samples are not nearly enough information to base a buying decision on - too small to say much about the results except "yep, looks about that wide", and of course still no info on price. But at least I've got more confidence that the lens *is* still coming, so I'll be holding off on making any decisions until that happens.
02-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You've either made my day or ruined it, not sure which :-). There had been rumors floating around that the DA15 was being shelved (along with the DA*30 and maybe something else) and I had all but decided to just get a DA21 instead as my next lens purchase. Of course, the posted samples are not nearly enough information to base a buying decision on - too small to say much about the results except "yep, looks about that wide", and of course still no info on price. But at least I've got more confidence that the lens *is* still coming, so I'll be holding off on making any decisions until that happens.
He must have been pretty close to that pelican!

If you click the small ones, you get 1600x1060 px images. Not 100% crops, but still pretty good for early samples.
02-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Look at the horizon, rails, shadow stripes.. damn straigth!!
The lines look awesome for such a small and wide lens. Distortions are very well controlled. Impressive. If i look at the 16-45,16-50@16 or even 14/2.8 and 12-24, they all have quite pronounced distortions.. this one seem somewhat like 21 ltd, 12-24@18 or better (keep the size and 15mm in mind!!!).

One of the things that kept me from purchasing something more expensive than kit at the wid'ish end. Distortions.. unless youre after them, makes wide end pretty useless (does not justify the price since software correction can be done even with kit lens, but reduces the image quality brought by an expensive lens). This might do the trick.
Omg! Omg! .

Last edited by ytterbium; 02-02-2009 at 11:35 AM.
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
If you click the small ones, you get 1600x1060 px images. Not 100% crops, but still pretty good for early samples.
I figured that out after posting :-). I guess I'd still say they are too small to *really* evaluate the lens, but they *are* big enough to make me start wanting the lens anyhow...
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Look at the horizon, rails, shadow stripes.. damn straigth!!
The lines look awesome for such a small and wide lens. Distortions are very well controlled. Impressive. If i look at the 16-45,16-50@16 or even 14/2.8 and 12-24, they all have quite pronounced distortions.. this one seem somewhat like 21 ltd, 12-24@18 or better (keep the size and 15mm in mind!!!).

One of the things that kept me from purchasing something more expensive than kit at the wid'ish end. Distortions.. unless youre after them, makes wide end pretty useless (does not justify the price since software correction can be done even with kit lens, but reduces the image quality brought by an expensive lens). This might do the trick.
Omg! Omg! .
I've been saving for the DA*55, but this lens may have to come first. I wish he had a photo showing the lens mounted on the camera.
02-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, finally this lens is seeing the light. I have been waiting for this lens for too long!
02-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Willoughby's has had the 15mm ltd listed for sale and in stock for a couple of weeks now. However, I bet its a typo and it is pre-order. $749.99

Amazon.com: Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Prime Standard Lens w/ Case for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Willoughby's Established 1898
THats the 55* and its not a typo.
Cant wait for the 15mm to come out!

02-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #9

Here is DA15/4 between the new teleconverter and DA55.
Attached Images

02-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love them all until price is mentioned.

If you get a 15/4, will you try to fill in the gap between 15 and 28mm?
02-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

...but they *are* big enough to make me start wanting the lens anyhow...
Like that would take much
02-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If you get a 15/4, will you try to fill in the gap between 15 and 28mm?
That is why I keep going back and forth between thinking I should just get the 21 (when finances allow) and thinking I should wait to see about the 15. I'd like to say that one prime wider than 28 should do it for me. I mean, sure, LBA is what it is, and who knows what the future holds, but I like only carrying a small handful of primes, so I'm assuming only one true wide angle would come with me most of the time. So the question really is, would the gap between 15 and 28 feel so large that I ended up filling it and then leaving the 15 at home?

I *think* the answer is no, because actually, it's not that often that I don't find the 28 wide enough, and when it isn't, it's not *nearly* wide enough. When I use the kit lens, I use it a lot around 28-31, but relatively little at wider focal lengths, *except* at 18 - suggesting to me I really want wider still. I worry that 15mm will be *too* wide - the DA14 seems almost freakishly wide to me when I've used one - but I'm also excited by the possibility of discovering a whole new area of photography for me. Whereas the 21 seems more like just a better/smaller substitute for the kit lens as far as that goes and hence not nearly as exciting. When carrying primes, the 15/28/40/100 set should work well. And when I really think I want more flexibility, I can replace the 28 and 40 with the 18-55 for some outings (and perhaps replace the 100 with the 50-200 while I'm at it).

So anyhow, I'm pretty sure that the 15 would be a good choice as my one wide prime, assuming quality is good and price not unreasonable. I'd be happy with something in the same range as the 21 and 70, but of course cheaper is better, assuming quality is still good. A DA15 as good and as cheap as the DA40 - I'd buy that the day it became available.
02-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

BTW, in dpreview, Ned was actually coerced into commenting on availability, and without making any promises, he suggested late March was not unlikely.
02-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #14

The corners are very good, compared to the K-series 15mm.
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If the 21 were faster I would have kept it. But I'm finding that the 31 is an almost ideal walkaround lens, so if I need wider then I want *wider*. I could certainly live with 15/31/43/77. But everyone is different.