Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is this fungus? Oil? What is it?

I put a red arrow towards something i can't identify. It is behind the front glass. The lens looks like it is in decent shape and the aperture blades are completely clean. Is what I can't identify fungus? If not, what is it and does it affect anything? Sorry, the pictures aren't that great and I had to take them with a flash. When the flash doesn't go off, they look plain white but with the flash off they almost look like oil and water. Thanks

Attached Images

02-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #2

It does look like fungus, but we should just wait for a more experienced person to answer this question
02-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Patrick_91 Quote
It does look like fungus, but we should just wait for a more experienced person to answer this question
I tried to google more about camera lens fungus but most of what I see are very large spider web-like fungi. I'm wondering if what I have is fungus in the early stages...

Also, whatever it is, it directly reflects on another part of the glass, so it looks like it is there at the edge and also away from the edge. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can give me a more conclusion answer. Thanks
02-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

did you try cleaning it?

seems like regular wet-dirt spots to me

02-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
did you try cleaning it?

seems like regular wet-dirt spots to me
The spots are actually underneath the glass. They also reflect in the glass if you look at it from certain angles.
02-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like edge seperation - I've had lenses with fungus and they looked nothing like the spots in the photos.
02-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Looks like edge seperation - I've had lenses with fungus and they looked nothing like the spots in the photos.
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, does edge separation mean that the glass is becoming detached from the body of the lens? This is obviously horrible right? Does edge separation render a lens into junk status? Thanks.
02-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm w/ ChipB on this one. It looks like lens seperation to me. Some lens elements are glued together (two layers of glass glued together by some transparent glue), and they might seperat at some stage. There is no easy fix on this problem other than changing the whole group of elements. If it doesn't affect IQ too much, just keep using it. But this does affect its resale value a lot.

Sorry about this.

02-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I'm w/ ChipB on this one. It looks like lens seperation to me. Some lens elements are glued together (two layers of glass glued together by some transparent glue), and they might seperat at some stage. There is no easy fix on this problem other than changing the whole group of elements. If it doesn't affect IQ too much, just keep using it. But this does affect its resale value a lot.

Sorry about this.
What type of hit would you say it has on the resale value? Thanks.
02-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
What type of hit would you say it has on the resale value? Thanks.
Depends on which lens it is, and how bad the separation is. Yours looks isn't too bad yet. But I think lens separation affects resale value more than fungus do ...
02-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would also think, that this is the beginning of lens separation. But your images are simply not sharp, so it is hard to decide finally. Separation can be repaired, but it is either expensive to get it done or tedious to do it on your own. There is a current thread about re-cementing lenses here, if you'ld search for it, you'll find a lot og info in there.

Ben
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I would also think, that this is the beginning of lens separation. But your images are simply not sharp, so it is hard to decide finally. Separation can be repaired, but it is either expensive to get it done or tedious to do it on your own. There is a current thread about re-cementing lenses here, if you'ld search for it, you'll find a lot og info in there.

Ben
All those spots are on the ring of the glass. I tried taking more pictures but can't do better. :/

So I guess the consensus view is that it is lens separation. Time to return it then (got it off of eBay).