Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Makinnon 200mm f3.3

I was at a second hand store today and saw this Makinnon 200mm Prime f3.3. It was in really nice condition and was priced at $50.00 CDN

It was a screwmount, but I could not verify that it was an M42 Mount. I do have several M42 adapters, but will be honest that I have never used an M42 on any of my K-Mounts. Hence I was a little naive that this might or might not have been an M42 mount suitable for my cameras.

I've done some searching on Google but have come up with nothing, and I did a search here as well in the lens archive and noted the Hanimex 200mm which is also a f3.3.

Could this be the same lens re-branded?

Does anyone know anything about the Makinnon or where I can possible find more info? Is this brand for Pentax?

Thanks in advance for any help.

02-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #2

Original Poster
Oh Snap...

Just realized that I was spelling Makinon incorrect and that's why I could not find anything..problem solved and please delete this thread if needed!

I also remember now seeing a P/K marking on the lens after reading some info about the lens!

Thanks Anyway!!!

Last edited by PentaxFan; 02-02-2009 at 04:05 PM.
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know nothing about this lens, and next to nothing about Makinnon in general, but I'll tell you what little I know. I would guess that this is over-priced, because Makinnon lenses go on ebay for around $10 when they sell at all... I know this because I found one in an OM mount (80-200/4.5) at a yard sale for $10 (talked him down to $5) in absolutly MINT condition, and it sold for $5.50 on ebay (lost money on that one ).

Of course it could be like the Vivitar Series 1 lenses with some versions being crap, while others are highly sought after cult lenses (I doubt it though since you can't find references to it). Speaking of Vivitar, you can pick up the Vivitar 200mm/3.5 M42 lens for about the same money or less and it's a decent one for sure.
02-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxFan Quote
It was a screwmount, but I could not verify that it was an M42 Mount.
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxFan Quote
I also remember now seeing a P/K marking on the lens after reading some info about the lens!
If it is a screw mount I don't think it would have a P/K mark on it. Unless it has been really modified.

02-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I know nothing about this lens, and next to nothing about Makinnon in general, but I'll tell you what little I know. I would guess that this is over-priced, because Makinnon lenses go on ebay for around $10 when they sell at all... I know this because I found one in an OM mount (80-200/4.5) at a yard sale for $10 (talked him down to $5) in absolutly MINT condition, and it sold for $5.50 on ebay (lost money on that one ).

Of course it could be like the Vivitar Series 1 lenses with some versions being crap, while others are highly sought after cult lenses (I doubt it though since you can't find references to it). Speaking of Vivitar, you can pick up the Vivitar 200mm/3.5 M42 lens for about the same money or less and it's a decent one for sure.
Thanks for the info and I had all intentions of bargaining for a much lesser price. Something in my gut told me they were asking too much! I appreciate the help ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
If it is a screw mount I don't think it would have a P/K mark on it. Unless it has been really modified.
Hmmm...I'm really sure I saw that marking, but then again..it's been a really long day and I take your thought on this as sound food for thought!
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
It looked just like this one:

Note the P/K marking just aft the aperture ring....

But I know the one I saw was a screwmount for sure..maybe I'm just confused right now....LOL Maybe this picture is where "I saw" the P/K marking...Sheesh...I'm going back for another look ...Hehehehe

Photo From Tobi's Camera Page

Last edited by PentaxFan; 02-02-2009 at 06:55 PM.
02-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one, bought it for $45 at a camera shop in excellent condition with case, caps, etc. I don't expect I would get half of that back if I tried to sell it here on the forum as a virtually unknown off brand m42 lens. Performance is alright but expect significant fringing in out of focus high contrast areas under bright sunlight.

I don't use mine much because I bought a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 a few months later that (other than being larger and heavier) is much more convenient for most shooting.

Here are a couple of samples to show fringing, let me know if you want more of other scenes.

Overview

If you go to "All Sizes" on the photo page linked here that will get you to a 100% crop.

02-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the info and samples Steinback! Very much appreciated and these shots don't look half bad to me from this lens! Maybe if I can whittle down the price, I;ll take the lens and just have some fun with it ;-)

Cheers...
02-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had a Makinon 135mm f/2.8 in K mount and it was very solidly built. IQ was fine.

f/3.3 is 1/2 stop fast than f/4, so I would not hesitate to pick this lens up for $50 if it were in good condition. If I could haggle my way down to $25-30, even better!

And for what it's worth, I find M42 to be more user-friendly than K mounts because you can shoot in Av.
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I had a Makinon 135mm f/2.8 in K mount and it was very solidly built. IQ was fine.

f/3.3 is 1/2 stop fast than f/4, so I would not hesitate to pick this lens up for $50 if it were in good condition. If I could haggle my way down to $25-30, even better!

And for what it's worth, I find M42 to be more user-friendly than K mounts because you can shoot in Av.
Thanks for the info and show of hand on this purchase ;-)
02-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #11

Original Poster
Just an update to add that I purchased this lens today for $25.00 (CDN)

Will take it with me tomorrow and see what results I can get ;-)
02-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #12

Original Poster
Here it is mounted on my K200D ;-)

02-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

looks good keen to see the results