Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #1

Fa*24mm vs 31mm Ltd?

Is the ltd that much better for the money?

02-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spun Quote
Is the ltd that much better for the money?
I 've seen great photos from both I just got the 31mm

keep in mind these are different lenses the 24 on Pentax Dslr will be wide and the 31mm will be more normal

I would compeer the 24 to the new 21 LTD

and the 31 to the 35s

personally I shoot 95% of the time normal and for once in my life wanted to allow my self to spend on my self

but I've seen amazing photos form the 35 f/2 and the 35 ltd as well
02-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you need to go wider than 31? If not, I can think of no better lens than the 31. It took me three times to "get" the lens, but now I can't seem to get it off my K20d.
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the 31 and often wish it were wider... I want a full frame pentax just to use it properly... maybe I'll get a 5D and glue it into the mount hahahahaha

02-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearly the two lenses in question have quite different perspective--surprising for just 7mm difference.

No comparison regarding image quality. I'm a fanboy when it comes to FA* lenses and own several. The FA*24/2 didn't work out well for me. Poor IQ. So much so that mine may have been a bad copy. I seldom shoot opened up more than about f8 and this lens doesn't like shooting at f16 or f22 at all--very unsharp. Other reviewers have liked the lens, but tended towards wide open shooting which I never tried with this lens. I wholesaled mine back to KEH long before buying the 31. Actually replaced it with the 20-35/4 which produced WAY better images than the 24.

The 31 Limited? Put that sucker on an alter and start worshipping. Mind blowing image quality at all apertures. All the hype about this lens doesn't go far enough. It's as good as optics get. You won't regret adding it to your kit, and if you ever need to get rid of it, there will be a line waiting to buy it from you. Especially, since they may no longer build it in Japan if at all...Buy one now while it is still a "made in Japan" item.
02-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
since they may no longer build it in Japan if at all...Buy one now while it is still a "made in Japan" item.
I was wondering about that... but could it be that Pentax does not make the FA limiteds? Perhaps Cosina or some other company makes the Japan lenses for Pentax these days? Anyone have a real answer based on facts?
02-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both and both have their applications, the 24mm being the 35mm of old (FF) times and the 31mm serving as a standard lens. There is no better of the two, they are simply too different. Many people considered a 35mm lens on 35mm film to their "standard lens", experiencing the 50mm standard lens as being too long. So it comes down to personal preferences.

Ben

02-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I was pining for the FA* 24mm f/2 for a long time, but couldn't justify the $700 or so it cost (used). When Microsoft was offering their eBay rebates I bought the 31 Ltd new for less than the FA* 24 used, which made sense at the time. 31mm was (and still is) a bit too long for what I wanted, but it's a fantastic lens in every respect.

About 2-3 weeks after I bought the 31 Ltd the economy took a nosedive and I started seeing FA* 24s on eBay for as low as $450. I was quite annoyed as I would definitely have bought one at that price if I hadn't spent 50% more already on the 31 Ltd.

That's my sad story On the plus side, I then bought an FA 20mm f/2.8 to get a compact, wide lens. There is nothing better in Life than justified LBA
03-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Clearly the two lenses in question have quite different perspective--surprising for just 7mm difference.

No comparison regarding image quality. I'm a fanboy when it comes to FA* lenses and own several. The FA*24/2 didn't work out well for me. Poor IQ. So much so that mine may have been a bad copy. I seldom shoot opened up more than about f8 and this lens doesn't like shooting at f16 or f22 at all--very unsharp. Other reviewers have liked the lens, but tended towards wide open shooting which I never tried with this lens. I wholesaled mine back to KEH long before buying the 31. Actually replaced it with the 20-35/4 which produced WAY better images than the 24.

The 31 Limited? Put that sucker on an alter and start worshipping. Mind blowing image quality at all apertures. All the hype about this lens doesn't go far enough. It's as good as optics get. You won't regret adding it to your kit, and if you ever need to get rid of it, there will be a line waiting to buy it from you. Especially, since they may no longer build it in Japan if at all...Buy one now while it is still a "made in Japan" item.
I have the 43 limited. Inside it states "Made in Japan". Is the same stamped on the 31 ?
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I have the 43 limited. Inside it states "Made in Japan". Is the same stamped on the 31 ?
what do you mean "inside" ? where inside?
03-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #11

Yes my 31mm have Made in Japan on it... not inside though

Cheers
Shang
03-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would go for Fa 31mm ltd instead. Fa 31mm image gallery

Fa* 24mm is no match comparing to Fa 31mm rendering

Last edited by roentarre; 04-01-2009 at 01:37 AM.
03-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
what do you mean "inside" ? where inside?
I think Jonson means the mark is on the ring right around the front element. FA43 is a pretty compact lens, that's why Pentax put all the wordings on that ring instead of out side the lens barrel like the other two FA limiteds.
03-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've had both, but only keep the FA31.
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I think Jonson means the mark is on the ring right around the front element. FA43 is a pretty compact lens, that's why Pentax put all the wordings on that ring instead of out side the lens barrel like the other two FA limiteds.
Yes, exactly. Sorry for my poor wording. On the inside of the lens barrel, it is written on the 43 :

(top left corner)

Where on the 77 and 31, it is on the outside of the lens barrel. But was interested, if they also stated "Made in Japan".

As production is stopping from the old factory in Japan, then we will see it; from the new batch of lenses coming from a factory in another country.