Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Limited over the years

I'm still learning more about Pentax lenses. How does quality control fair on the Limited series over the years. Does it make sense to purchase a new one, an older one, etc etc. I also noticed that some limited lenses has the model printed on the bags and some do not. Any more information about the limited lenses would be great. Thanks.

02-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

limited doesn't mean limited edition, it means limited in the number that are produced to their standards

from my own observations, all of the FA Limiteds seem to be very well built, all made in Japan
the DA Limiteds seem very solid in build quality, but when i had the 21mm, it seemed not as solid as the FA limited, but this is just my opinion. as well there have been extreme cases where the lens just falls apart, seen 2 DA70's like that and also some comments about DA70 wobble as well.
02-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
For what its worth, I own all three DA limiteds (21,40,70) and have been extremely happy with their performance. The build quality is great, but the image quality is something that is hard to describe (that means it is better than great). I have also heard and read very good things about the FA limiteds, and I am sure they are better than great as well. IMO, you can't go wrong with FA or DA limiteds, it comes down to size vs. speed. My only (small) regret, is getting the DA40 instead of the FA43, which is also a very compact lens and is faster. LOL, but the DA40 is a great lens, so I really can't complain.
02-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For the FA77, get the current version. Early version has a less balanced front barrel which makes the focus ring heavy if something a little heavy mounted on it (like a metal hood). For the rest Limiteds won't matter.