Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2007, 01:51 AM   #1

Question on Limiteds from new Pentax user

Hi all,

Since going digital two years ago, first with a Canon and later an Epson rangefinder, it seems I’m going to settle with Pentax, just like 20 years ago when I bought my first camera, a ME Super.
I have bought a used ist DS and the 40mm pancake for it is in the mail. Besides that little take anywhere anytime package I also want to buy a K10d with that new 16-50 DA* lens and a few primes.

I have a few specific questions about those primes:
The 31 and 77 limiteds are excellent according to everyone, only negative I can find is slow focusing. Does anyone have experience with these lenses on the K10D and the focus speed resulting from that combo? Is it really a problem, or just a ‘in a perfect world it would be a little faster’ issue?
The 70mm is reported to be almost as good is the 77, does anyone know of a side by side shot of the two lenses? How much is the size difference with the hood?

Anything else I should know about Pentax primes?

Thanks everyone, Nick

my blog | my gallery

Last edited by nickmeertens; 03-27-2007 at 02:19 AM.
03-27-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the 77, and yes it is a bit slow because of the amount of focus ring travel. But it is not that slow, and because of that travel, it MFs really nicely. For me it is not a problem.
03-27-2007, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickmeertens Quote
Hi all,

Since going digital two years ago, first with a Canon and later an Epson rangefinder, it seems I’m going to settle with Pentax, just like 20 years ago when I bought my first camera, a ME Super.
I have bought a used ist DS and the 40mm pancake for it is in the mail. Besides that little take anywhere anytime package I also want to buy a K10d with that new 16-50 DA* lens and a few primes.

I have a few specific questions about those primes:
The 31 and 77 limiteds are excellent according to everyone, only negative I can find is slow focusing. Does anyone have experience with these lenses on the K10D and the focus speed resulting from that combo? Is it really a problem, or just a ‘in a perfect world it would be a little faster’ issue?
The 70mm is reported to be almost as good is the 77, does anyone know of a side by side shot of the two lenses? How much is the size difference with the hood?

Anything else I should know about Pentax primes?

Thanks everyone, Nick

my blog | my gallery
Hi Nick,
I have the 77 & 43 ltd. and they are a tiny bit slower than the DA lenses, but not by much. I had the 77 when I had my DL and it was pretty slow with it, but with the K10 it's much better. I don't have a problem with them.
The Da70 is about half the height of the 77, and weights about half of the 77. The specs can be found on PENTAX Digital SLR - The New Classic.
Both the 70 and 77 are great lenses..the Bokeh is a little nicer from the 77, IMO.

Pentax Primes, especially the Limited Lenses, are some of the best lenses around.
Cheers.
03-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

IMHO, Fa 77 autofocuses slow in dim lighting. Otherwise, it is not bad in day light.

All three limiteds are my most used lenses, no matter where I go.

In terms of choosing between Da 70 and Fa 77, it is of a matter of individual taste. Da pancake is just so light and so easy to carry around. But Fa 77 ltd feels more solid to me

Limited lenses are really something!

03-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #5

The smooth manual focus is the trade off for slightly slower AF in dim light. As far as I'm concerned, it's well worth it!
03-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

just thought I would mention another point in favour of the DA70 (for me) was the quick shift focusing..