Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

shy Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro

My new Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) on my K10 is too shy to show up a name in the EXIF. Is it normal for this lens?

02-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
My new Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) on my K10 is too shy to show up a name in the EXIF. Is it normal for this lens?
Depends on what tool you're using to read the EXIF; the EXIF data structure contains numeric codes rather than a names. The EXIF reader has to look up the lens name from a table.

Pentax Tags

To get the name right your lens has to send a unique code (sometimes third-party manufacturers use the same code for different lenses or re-use the code for a Pentax lens) and the tool has to have the correct entry in its lens name table.
02-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it shows up when using the k20d, on my unit.
02-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
Depends on what tool you're using to read the EXIF; the EXIF data structure contains numeric codes rather than a names. The EXIF reader has to look up the lens name from a table.

Pentax Tags

To get the name right your lens has to send a unique code (sometimes third-party manufacturers use the same code for different lenses or re-use the code for a Pentax lens) and the tool has to have the correct entry in its lens name table.
Troy is correct. Sometimes processing the file through a product like Adobe Lightroom will result in translation of the code to a lens model with that data added to the exif, though the name assignment is not always accurate. For example: my Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro is tagged as a Pentax 50/2.8 Macro (would be that it were true ) by Lightroom because Sigma uses the id code for the Pentax lens.

Steve

02-04-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Troy is correct. Sometimes processing the file through a product like Adobe Lightroom will result in translation of the code to a lens model with that data added to the exif, though the name assignment is not always accurate. For example: my Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro is tagged as a Pentax 50/2.8 Macro (would be that it were true ) by Lightroom because Sigma uses the id code for the Pentax lens.

Steve
I use Lightroom v1.4 allright. Any workaround? I use my photographs sorted by lens many times ...
02-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same Here

I use LR 1.4 and just discovered the same thing downloading photos taken with the K20D and Tamron 70-200. I remember trialing a Sigma 100-300 that LR mis-labeled as a Sigma 70-200, but this Tamron gets no identifier at all!

There must be a way to create a lens identifier in LightRoom. Haven't had time to study through it yet, but I picked up an excellent reference manual on LightRoom, "The Adobe PHOTOSHOP LIGHTROOM 2 Book", by Martin Evening. Although it's for LR 2 at least 90% of the information still applies to LR 1.4. Hopefully I'll have an answer for you within the next couple days.
Paul
02-04-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
"The Adobe PHOTOSHOP LIGHTROOM 2 Book", by Martin Evening. Although it's for LR 2 at least 90% of the information still applies to LR 1.4. Hopefully I'll have an answer for you within the next couple days.
Paul
Still in Europe Adobe wants 125 to upgrade from Lightroom 1.4 to 2
02-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
While I don't have Lightroom, I've run across similar problems with my Tamron 17-50. My DAM software showed the lens as the code only rather than a name.

I couldn't program the code to name into the software, but I was able to use EXIFTools to write the EXIF Name to the appropriate files, although it was a bit of work. Fortunately, it was the only lens I was having the problem with, so all I had to do was take all the photos without lens info and run them at once.

Aside from that, the program I had problems with updated its lens database once I let it know the issue.