Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Ok so I found a 50mm f/2 for $20! and I got it, and I'm possibly getting a 35-80 for only $30...so what other lenses should I get? (also posting links to threads in the sale forums would help, I'm having difficulties there).
That would depend entirely on what needs you have identified that your current lenses don't cover and what kind of budget you have to address those needs.

02-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The kit lens is no slouch, and actually quite good, especially as a first lens. The 18-55 focal range will cover most casual shooting. Not too expensive either. Not as inexpensive as the older M and A primes, but available new for less than a C note and a lot more versatile than a M or A prime. You might even be able to find a used one for half that if you look hard.
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I would totally go for a 55/1.8 in the screw mount, as I have one on my Spotmatic. No bias or anything here. All biases aside, you'll find lots of proof as to the fantastic abilities of this lens in the Takumar Club thread. If you want to get into screw mount lenses, you'll need the Pentax M42-K mount adapter, and I recommend finding a shop that stocks the real deal, not the chinese knockoffs (the real ones come in a green pouch and have "PENTAX" engraved in the adapter, not painted on).

For the K mount, if autofocus is a priority, I don't think I've ever seen anything bad said about the FA50/1.4. Don't have any first hand experience with that, though.
02-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well since my first two lenses are MF only (I'm pretty sure), I want a cheap zoom or prime that has AF. Below like $50 mostly.

02-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Well since my first two lenses are MF only (I'm pretty sure), I want a cheap zoom or prime that has AF. Below like $50 mostly.
Yeah, but what focal lengths are you interested in? What maximum aperture would you require? How important is macro capability?

On the other hand, I can save you some trouble. The only lenses you will be likely to find under $50 are manual focus, and/or they would just duplicate what you already have. You're betting off saving your $50 so it can join a few of its friends in a few months or a year or whenever so you can start looking at a wider range lenses.

Actually, there is one major/obvious exceptions to this. You seem to have gone out of your way to avoid the kit lens, but I think that was a mistake - that probably would have been a better use of your money than the 35-80, since right now you have nothing wide angle at all. Although the 35-80 covers a nice short telephoto range, so it certainly could be worth having if you see yourself using that range a lot. But also, for not much more than $50, you probably could have found a 28-80 or 28-105 that would cover almost as much range as the 18-55 and 35-80 combined. Still missing something truly wide angle, but 28 beats 35.

You also have nothing really very telephoto. Yu also have nothing fast under 50mm. You also have nothing macro. Lots of things you *could* spend money on. But if you want AF and under $50, that's probably not going to happen.
02-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, completely forgot about it...