Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Weathersealing & two questions.

Hello.

One question. no wait! two questions.

I am looking for a lens that doesn't broke using it in wet.
the 16-50 is a good choice as well as the tele-lenses.
But we only have 4 *-lenses in all the range that is weathersealed right?

I want to know if the old *-lenses (or any other old lenses) are weathersealed as well? in that case witch ones?

question 2.

How does a normal (not kit) lens handle the wet? for example DA 16-45? Is it going to broke if I use it in wet or how much can it handle?

Anyone have any experience of this? (sure you have)

My worries is that it seams useless that the cameras from pentax is weathersealed if you have to invest in expensive DA* lenses for have full protection. (with the fact that we don't have much DA* lenses yet)
If not? You still have to wear all your gear in a plastic bag, with a hole for the lens.

Anyone with a good answer?

Best regards Emil

02-04-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From my experience any lens can stand some rain.
But the DA* lenses are much better. You can hold them under the running water-tap.

The FA* lenses are not sealed.

For what purpose do you need the lenses?
02-04-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
From my experience any lens can stand some rain.
But the DA* lenses are much better. You can hold them under the running water-tap.

The FA* lenses are not sealed.

For what purpose do you need the lenses?
Thank you very much for the answer

I need it for shot nature and landscape. It means that anytime it can rain, and be windy and very cold. what do you say?
02-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
It means that anytime it can rain, and be windy and very cold. what do you say?
My K100D with kit lens went with me for a couple trips to the mountians. It still works after quite a lot of shooting in *very* thick fog and near to waterfalls.

Oh well, maybe I was lucky And I've never tried it in the rain.

K10D with a better lens (manufactured to the higher standards than kit lens) should be fine in a morning mist or a light rain. I suppose.

But I do recommend DA* lenses - they may seem expensive but the built quality is worth the price.

02-04-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ixian Quote
My K100D with kit lens went with me for a couple trips to the mountians. It still works after quite a lot of shooting in *very* thick fog and near to waterfalls.

Oh well, maybe I was lucky And I've never tried it in the rain.

K10D with a better lens (manufactured to the higher standards than kit lens) should be fine in a morning mist or a light rain. I suppose.

But I do recommend DA* lenses - they may seem expensive but the built quality is worth the price.
Hello! it's nice to hear that. I supose I don't have to worry too much.

Other question! Can the water enter inside the camera if the lens not are waterproof or does it just effect the lens? All lenses should at least be sealed where you connect them to the camera body right?

The DA* lenses are wonderful. But the problem is that we don't have much of them. only 4 DA* lenses on the market is not so good. I still miss a lot of focal range. When the 55* and 60-250* comes out we will have a lot more to choose from, but now we are pretty closed if we want rain-proof lenses.
02-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
None of my lenses are the weathersealed * lenses. They have been wet from rain and and paddle splash and still work fine so far. My manual Takumars have been really wet on occasion through the years and they still work fine. A little common sense care and they should be ok as long as they don't get soaked enough that water gets inside the lens. I would like to get the weather sealed lenses but they aren't in the budget right now.
Water could possibly enter the camera through the lens mount through an unsealed lens. I don't take it out in pouring rain. Water would be dripping on the outside of the lens anyhow and ruin the picture.
02-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
A huge pile of wet snow from a pinetree fell on me and my k200d + sigma 10-20mm few months ago in the forest. The camera + lens combo took a direct hit but no damage whatsoever. Everything still works.
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I often wonder this as well, as I try to decide whether or not to save for the DA* 16-50. I did, however, over Christmas, use my K10D and DA 35 in a very wet, heavy snow for 30 minutes with no ill effects whatsoever. When I was inside, warm and dry, I took the lens off and there was some water on the camera's lens mount, but nothing in the camera or lens.

02-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Water will completely ruin a camera instantly if it gets to the wrong spot in the elctronics - complete and unrepairable electrical failure. There is virtually no danger of water causing such instant and total loss to a lens. Sure, if it's a really expensive lens, you might worry anyhow. So, don't use expensive unsealed lenses in the rain. I shoot landscapes in the rain (and worse) with my M28/2.8 and my DA18-55II all the time. If something were to happen to the lens, I could replace either for $50. No big deal.

As for worrying about water entering the *camera* through an unsealed lens mount, that also doens't seem worth worrying about. It's a pretty tight fit, and you'd really have to drop submerge the camera underwater in order for enough water to enter there to be likely to cause problems. Be reaosnably careful when using the camera in the rain, and you won't have problems. Go back through the archives here and you'll see all sorts of people reporting successes, and pretty much no stories of anyone ruining their sealed cameras by using them with unsealed lenses.
02-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have used my K10D in the rain a lot, and only recently got a sealed DA300 lens.

My tamron 18-250 i used in intermittent rain and i carried a short hand towel draped over the lens. I figured no standing water on the lens and it will be OK. It always was OK. And when you spool it back in, make sure there's no water on the barrels that would be spooled in as well. Always use your lens hood as they help keep the rain droplets off the lens.

I was in a camera store a week ago and they had these plastic sleeves to put over the camer and lens for about $6 to $8. A good deal i think. I've used plastic baggys over a lens, zipping the ends shut over the end of the lens and cutting the bottom out of the baggy for one to operate the camera. Actual sleeve might work better for a real pouring rain.
02-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you!

Hello.

Thank you so much for your posts.

I will now be less worry for my gear

Still i think that using the head in most of the situations are enough. If it is raining very very much, you might protect your camera, but some wet invironment (pentax do very fine). even my compact-canon camera survived (and it's not not not rain-proof.)
I got some water inside and the images was being like foggy. It was some of the greatest photos I ever made. Don't even mind really if it happens

I guess we have pentax for this reson....we like to be outdoor shooting

And if even a kit-lens do fine in rain, my 16-45DA will at least survive

Thank you once again for all great posts!

Best reagards

Emil