Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #1

FA 50mm 1.4 question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello good people. This is my first post here.

I recently made the decision to switch from Canon to Pentax, and ordered a Pentax K10D and FA 50 1.4 lens. The lens showed up today (still no K10D as of yet), and I opened the box to find the lens was somewhat covered in dust. The bag the lens came in looks like it had seen better days, and there were even marks on the rear element (which I haven't tried to clean yet, but it looks like it will clean right off).

I ordered the lens from B&H, and while I've had great service from them over the years, this is the second item to show up from them in this fashion. Perhaps it was shown to customers before finding it's way to me.

My question however is this. The lens cap for the rear element is just a piece of rubber that fits over the end of the lens. It doesn't tighten on or lock in place in any way, and it doesn't say Pentax. It just says "Japan" and if I turn the lens, it falls off.

Is this normal for this lens, or have I received a used lens with a cheap replacement cap over the real element? If it is normal for this lens, is it also normal for all Pentax lenses? This doesn't seem like a very good way to protect a piece of glass.

Thanks in advance.

03-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Zon Quote
Hello good people. This is my first post here.

My question however is this. The lens cap for the rear element is just a piece of rubber that fits over the end of the lens. It doesn't tighten on or lock in place in any way, and it doesn't say Pentax. It just says "Japan" and if I turn the lens, it falls off.

Is this normal for this lens, or have I received a used lens with a cheap replacement cap over the real element? If it is normal for this lens, is it also normal for all Pentax lenses? This doesn't seem like a very good way to protect a piece of glass.

Thanks in advance.
That's the way mine arrived as well. I had an old twist on cap that I substitued for the rubber one.

May just be the way that they are packaging that particular lens.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Ed
03-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is the correct rear cap, not the best thing. Both older and newer lenses than the FA series have nicer rear caps. The condition of the lens sounds suspect however. This lens has been selling so fast that B&H shouldn't have one laying around that long.
03-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Zon

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll clean her up and wait (im)patiently for the K10D to get here so I can try them out.

If anyone knows the model # of a replacement twist-on cap I can order, that would be greatly appreciated.

03-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rear Lens Cap

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll clean her up and wait (im)patiently for the K10D to get here so I can try them out.

If anyone knows the model # of a replacement twist-on cap I can order, that would be greatly appreciated.
I was surprised to find that several of the lenses I got had that "Cheesy" rear cap. I replaced them with the bayonet type. I did complain about this to Pentax..I don't know if that will have an affect but, if enough people shout about it, they may include the type we expect to get for such good quality glass.
03-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
clm

These are pretty good: eBay: Rear Lens Cap for Pentax K x2 **NEW** (item 320088779442 end time Apr-02-07 13:47:46 PDT)
Genuine Pentax caps are the only better ones I know of.
03-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Thanks in advance.
The "press-on" caps are used for "kit" lenses that are intended to sold with camera bodies. For example, the Pentax DA 18-55mm comes packaged with a press-on cap. The idea is that the kit lens that stays on the camera body and therefore you won't use the rear cap. When you buy more lenses, they have the bayonet type cap for storing the extra lens, and when you mount that extra lens you will use the bayonet cap on the kit lens.

The 50mm were the standard kit lenses back in the "olden days." My guess is that they were packaged with the press-on caps for that reason. With the exception of 50mm lenses and the DA 18-55mm kit lens, every other Pentax lens that I've bought new over the past 18 years (and there have been quite a few of them) have come with a proper bayonet cap.

03-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
Zon

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
The "press-on" caps are used for "kit" lenses that are intended to sold with camera bodies. For example, the Pentax DA 18-55mm comes packaged with a press-on cap. The idea is that the kit lens that stays on the camera body and therefore you won't use the rear cap. When you buy more lenses, they have the bayonet type cap for storing the extra lens, and when you mount that extra lens you will use the bayonet cap on the kit lens.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense actually. Thank you.

And clm, thanks so much for the link. I'll probably order those to have just in case I need it.
03-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just do what I did.... go to a used lens shop and pick one up. it doesn't matter the make of the cap, as long as it will fit.
I paid $2 where a new one was $10 dollars in a photo store. Not worth $10 dollars for a cheap peice of plastic with the only purpose of keeping the lens clean/undamaged

just my 2 Cents

cheers

randy
03-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #10

Hrmmm..

I have a few of the little plastic "snap-on" rear caps, and I actually liket hem a lot. They fit extremely snug, never fall off, and are so much easier to put on than the bayonet ones I have.

Goes to show eh?
03-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

KEH sells bags of 10 caps for $15. Comes in really handy.
03-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
KEH sells bags of 10 caps for $15.
I've wondered about those. Do they have the flange to cover the contacts on A-series and later lenses?
03-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my 50 was clean as a whistle & came with a screw-on, Pentax cap . . .
03-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
I've wondered about those. Do they have the flange to cover the contacts on A-series and later lenses?

I believe the bag I got was a mixed bag of various vintage caps. (All pentax or Asahi) I never looked at caps close enough to notice the differences.
03-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #15

Zon,
Not sure if this would help, but would be worth a try. B&H has been selling so many of these that any recent sales should have similar serial #'s. Perhaps some of the members here (if there are any) who have purchased the lens recently could post the serial # for you to compare. If the number on your lens is significantly lower, you may have a valid concern with the condition of the lens.