Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
what wide??

Hi guys

ok Sunday I am going to sell some used equipment and hopefully get some store credit at adorama for it.

so the question is what wide?
12-24
14
21

any one looking to sell an FA one? I would prefer a lens that could go on my film bodies as well but I think for real wide on the K20D I have no choice but getting a cropped one.

what are your thoughts? I know all three are fantastic but which one will last the most even on my next Pentax in the year 2015?

02-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,401
are you absolutely decided on pentax?

If so, you might also want to consider the 10-17 fisheye.


If not, look also at Sigma 10-20, 12-24, and tamron 10-24 as alternate zooms.

I have the sigma 10-20, and this lens makes up about 20% of all my shots annually, and perhaps 60% if traveling in another city. of all shots with this lens, 80% are at 10mm.

It depends upon what you shoot, but now that I have it, to go back even to 12mm I would feel I am losing something.
02-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
For me, it's none of the above - I'd wait another month or two for the DA15 Limited. Assuming it lives up to its promise and isn't outrageously priced, that's the one I plan on getting.
02-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member
StevenVH's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 475
I'd get the 12-24 now and wait for the price to come down on the 15ltd, then get it too :-)
The 12-24 is supposed to be very sharp and what a great range on 1.5x.

gl and hth


Last edited by StevenVH; 02-05-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo !
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
For me, it's none of the above - I'd wait another month or two for the DA15 Limited. Assuming it lives up to its promise and isn't outrageously priced, that's the one I plan on getting.
that's exactly what I was thinking today... so I think I will get a portrait lens now instead (77mm most likely) and get a wide later.
wide is more important to me and probably going to be second most used after my love the 31mm so I need to pick a good one.

Thanks!!
02-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flyover America
Posts: 4,475
What will the DA15 give you that the DA14 does not?
02-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,401
is 15 really wide?

I know that people think 15mm is wide, but on an ASP-C sensor, it has the field of view of 22.5mm on a film body.

WHen I shot film, I had a 24mm, and was always frustrated because it was not wide enough.

WHen I got my *istD, it came with an FA-J 18-35 which on a DSLR was equivelent to a 27-52mm lens. It was OK for a normal lens, but when I wanted a wide shot, I put the FA-J 18-35 on my PZ-1 and shot 100 ISO film, (Note the FA-J 18-35 is a full frame lens)

In fact, I shot combined film and digital for 3 years until I bought a K10D and Sigma 10-20.

I only point this out because 15 isn't really ultra wide any more.
as I posted earlier, a full 20% of all the shots I take are with my 10-20, and 12% of all shots I take are at 10mm
02-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member
StevenVH's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 475
QuoteQuote:
I know that people think 15mm is wide, but on an ASP-C sensor, it has the field of view of 22.5mm on a film body.

WHen I shot film, I had a 24mm, and was always frustrated because it was not wide enough.

I only point this out because 15 isn't really ultra wide any more.
as I posted earlier, a full 20% of all the shots I take are with my 10-20, and 12% of all shots I take are at 10mm
I agree. On film my fav "normal" lens was a 35/f2, but often it wasn't wide enough. I used a 28/2.8 and then a 24/2.8, but it wasn't until I borrowed a 16mm fisheye lens that I realized what ultra-wide really was.
My 16-50 serves me well, but it's equivalent to a 24-75 on film and it's just not wide enough sometimes.
I'm lusting after the 12-24 for convenience and a fast prime version at some point.

There's a 12-24 in the market place
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/49973

hth

02-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
What will the DA15 give you that the DA14 does not?
it will not. its just that for now I don't seems to come to a decision I need to have some more research.
so for now ...for me... I would get the 77mm before they are going to end. and keep looking around.

I do not need extreme wide at all ..my favorite focal length is 50mm I like the fact that what I see in the world is what the camera see and I just need to put a frame on it. but some times a little wider helps to get a more interesting compositions
02-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
What will the DA15 give you that the DA14 does not?
There's no way I'm carrying around lens as big and heavy as the DA14 just for the relatively rare occasions when I want a really wide angle shot. The DA15 is a *fraction* the size of the DA14, and considering the sort of situations where I care about wide angle shots (eg, architecture, interiors, some types of landscapes), the tradeoff in speed doesn't concern me a bit.

As for how "wide" 15mm is, it's all relative. Yes, that the field of view of a 22.5mm on 35mm. But I'll bet "most" film shooters never saw anything wider than 28mm. Heck, many never saw anything wider than 50mmm. Nor have most people with only digital experience - few or P&S cameras goes that wide, and most DSLR owners have never shot anything wider than 28mm-equivalent FOV (18mm on their APS-C kit lens) either.

So for most of us, 15mm on APS-C is wider than anything we've ever experienced. But it's true if you're one of the rare few accustomed to 20mm or wider on 35mm film, it's not wide in comparison to that.
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
..my favorite focal length is 50mm I like the fact that what I see in the world is what the camera see and I just need to put a frame on it. but some times a little wider helps to get a more interesting compositions
I do hope you're aware that 50mm on your K20D is going to look *very* different than how it looked on your K1000D - you'll need your FA31 to give you more or less the same field of view / "perspective".
02-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I do hope you're aware that 50mm on your K20D is going to look *very* different than how it looked on your K1000D - you'll need your FA31 to give you more or less the same field of view / "perspective".
indeed the 31mm is what I have
the love of my life you can check on my flickr for a few samples that i did with her (if you go to sets).
I got the k20D and this lens (the 31mm) last week and I am the happiest man in the world
I have friends with the 5D MKII that I made jealous ha
02-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Nick Siebers's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,152
For a wide angle on film I really like the FA 20-35mm F/4. It's handy on digital too, although maybe not as versatile as the DA 16-45, it is small and light.
02-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,476
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

As for how "wide" 15mm is, it's all relative. Yes, that the field of view of a 22.5mm on 35mm. But I'll bet "most" film shooters never saw anything wider than 28mm. Heck, many never saw anything wider than 50mmm. Nor have most people with only digital experience - few or P&S cameras goes that wide, and most DSLR owners have never shot anything wider than 28mm-equivalent FOV (18mm on their APS-C kit lens) either.

So for most of us, 15mm on APS-C is wider than anything we've ever experienced. But it's true if you're one of the rare few accustomed to 20mm or wider on 35mm film, it's not wide in comparison to that.
A lot of film shooters loved the 24, actually: I always found the perspective prettier: twenty years later, I'm still thinking about getting around to picking one up. I'm just not a big fan of wide angle, anyway, (very-wide, anyway) and with my film gear, usually carry around an amateur-grade little 28 2.8 (Canon's old one is really no great shakes, but they're teeny and were made by the millions, thus very cheap now.) ...once this was for utilitarian purposes, just if someone needed an interior photographed or otherwise it was absolutely necessary. Now it's mostly cause a bigger or heavier lens likely wouldn't be with me at all on most occasions. (And presuming I get to be selling a print here and there, at least, I'll probably be quite happy to get hold of one of those little 21's for the same sort of purpose. But again, I'm not a big wide angle fan.)

Many, of course, love to go really wide. But even that's not a competition. Down in that range, you start to get rather different looks out of small changes in focal length. May as well pick one you like.
02-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There's no way I'm carrying around lens as big and heavy as the DA14 just for the relatively rare occasions when I want a really wide angle shot. The DA15 is a *fraction* the size of the DA14, and considering the sort of situations where I care about wide angle shots (eg, architecture, interiors, some types of landscapes), the tradeoff in speed doesn't concern me a bit.

As for how "wide" 15mm is, it's all relative. Yes, that the field of view of a 22.5mm on 35mm. But I'll bet "most" film shooters never saw anything wider than 28mm. Heck, many never saw anything wider than 50mmm. Nor have most people with only digital experience - few or P&S cameras goes that wide, and most DSLR owners have never shot anything wider than 28mm-equivalent FOV (18mm on their APS-C kit lens) either.

So for most of us, 15mm on APS-C is wider than anything we've ever experienced. But it's true if you're one of the rare few accustomed to 20mm or wider on 35mm film, it's not wide in comparison to that.

I tend to agree, throwing my tiny M 20 f/4 into my bag as an afterthought has
yielded some nice results a couple times when I was going out intending
to just shoot telephoto.

And 20mm is usually wide-enough.

Shot this while I was sitting around waiting to see some birds - had not intended
to shoot anything wider than 200mm that day, but I'm glad the M 20 was small
enough to have in the bag:



Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FF and Wide Angles paperbag846 Pentax DSLR Discussion 38 08-11-2010 12:01 AM
Which Wide lens Alex00 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 47 02-22-2010 12:32 PM
How wide is wide enough - and why? emr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 81 02-07-2010 02:56 AM
Wide, wide Sweden (DA18-55 on an ME Super) brkl Post Your Photos! 10 06-08-2009 08:11 PM
Wide Zoom or Wide Prime....Planning Ahead joelovotti Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 12-21-2008 12:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top