Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I finally bought the 55-300. I did buy it locally so I can return it in case I don't like it.
Félicitations! LBA strikes again!
Où l'as tu achetée?

Let us know what you think about it! Too bad it was crappy outside today!

A+,
MPOC

02-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by halfpasthuman Quote
Félicitations! LBA strikes again!
Où l'as tu achetée?
L.L.Lozeau. It was 389$. Prodigital was not cheap enough to make it worthwhile to save 4-5%. Unfortunately... the city of Montreal decided to encourage me for buying locally, I got a ticket for illegal parking. 42$. Oh well...
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quick comparison vs the FA80-320

Here is a comparison I've done quickly. No comments necessary I think.

02-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #19

L.L.Lozeau. It was 389$. Prodigital was not cheap enough to make it worthwhile to save 4-5%. Unfortunately... the city of Montreal decided to encourage me for buying locally, I got a ticket for illegal parking. 42$. Oh well...
Yep around LLLozeau, it's very hard to find parking and the signs are just the worst. Last time I went there with the car, the same happened to me!!! That's why I take the metro now!
Very good price you got, I paid 449$ at Simon's in the old port.

No comments indeed on the pics you took and in your hands I'm sure good pics are to come!

A+,
MPOC

P.S: Nice day to go out shooting! I'm heading to the Lachine canal.

02-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Here is a comparison I've done quickly. No comments necessary I think.

I was going to post a few day ago when you wrote you where less then pleased with its sharpness. No lens looks great in cloudy weather. The DA55-300mm really comes to life when its sunny out, you will take pics that are sure to please. I guess with in the day light all its color and contrast and sharpness can come out in full. You are a senior member, and you know this as I have learned to trust the majority opinion of the forum members, here and on the other Pentax forum. When I and others wrote its good 55-300mm wide open, its true as you see in your tests. Not many kit lens can match its contrast and sharpness wide open at 300mm. Enjoy

BTW test all you want, the more you test and the more pics you take the more your going to be impressed and glad you bought it. As long as its a good copy. I guess I'm glad its starting to work for you.
02-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

too bad i'm late to the game, i'm trying to sell my DA 55-300 for $325 CDN now
02-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I was going to post a few day ago when you wrote you where less then pleased with its sharpness. No lens looks great in cloudy weather. The DA55-300mm really comes to life when its sunny out, you will take pics that are sure to please. I guess with in the day light all its color and contrast and sharpness can come out in full. You are a senior member, and you know this as I have learned to trust the majority opinion of the forum members, here and on the other Pentax forum. When I and others wrote its good 55-300mm wide open, its true as you see in your tests. Not many kit lens can match its contrast and sharpness wide open at 300mm. Enjoy

BTW test all you want, the more you test and the more pics you take the more your going to be impressed and glad you bought it. As long as its a good copy. I guess I'm glad its starting to work for you.
I did some more tests. At 300mm it's rather impressive to be more than usable wide open (and it was probably a good idea from Pentax to limit the aperture to f/5.8 there). I have a shot of the full moon on my flickr account that is quite sharp:
FULL CROP:

But at 135mm and 80mm, I was less thrilled. Now I have to retest because I suspect focus was not exact (I did use autofocus, in part because this is how I will use the lens anyway). Of course against the 50-135 and the FA77 it loose badly, but it was loosing too to the FA80-320. About the 80-320, I will also redo some tests, the sample I posted is so bad I suspect some other possible errors (AF, tripod vibrations).

The thing I immediately noticed tooking some pictures with it is the very high contrast. But if I pixel peep, the sharpness doesn't seem that great. Of course once again it's not a prime or a DA* lens. Just like for the build quality: it's decent (no zoom creep, a hood and a pouch are provided...) but it feels a bit more plasticky than say the DA10-17 or the DA12-24. The hood is a very thin plastic and I wonder how they can dare asking 50$ (B&H price) for it if you loose it.
02-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
too bad i'm late to the game, i'm trying to sell my DA 55-300 for $325 CDN now
Too bad for me. Are you in Montreal?

02-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Toronto. but shipping to MTL is like $15.
02-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Manu & HalfPassed ... Salut! Welcome to the jungle les boys
Salut Pat, Manu,

It seems we might finally be able to have a Montréal Pentax meet!

Let me know what you think,

Regards,
MPOC
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by halfpasthuman Quote
Salut Pat, Manu,

It seems we might finally be able to have a Montréal Pentax meet!

Let me know what you think,

Regards,
MPOC
That would be a great idea.
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Saw this thread after deciding I'd like to upgrade from my Tamron 70-300 because of the improved sharpness I'm seeing with the 55-300 at the long end.

This thread, and a few others, got me curious as to how the 55-300 compares to the 80-320 in terms of quality.

ManuH, have you done any further tests comparing the two lenses? Are you happy with the 55-300? I'll probably get it, but if the 80-320 is close enough in quality, I just may go that route.

Thanks for your feedback,

Erik
02-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No question: the DA*300mm f4 & Sigma 70-200mm are sharper but in other respects, the IQ of the 55-300mm is right up there. And no, it's not built like a tank but its size & weight are major positives when you're out & about.