Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #16

If you are concerned with build quality I would pick up a Vivitar/Lester Dine/Kiron 105 or the Viv 100 2.8. They are a chunk of steel and glass and the images from them are amazing. The prices have dropped so low on them now that everyone should buy one. The only thing you give up to the others is auto focus which in my opinion is almost useless on a macro lens when doing actual macro work.

02-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll add some extra votes for my pick:
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 105mm F2.8 EX DG (AF Lens)

02-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Either sigma or tamron, you cannot go wrong. Both are great for macros/AF for portraits too. If price is the same, its good if you could take hold of both and have a feel in your hand and test it. That will be easier to decide from there.

marcus
02-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha, well I wish I could afford the 180mm macro from Sigma, but that is way out of my price range atm.

I really wish I had a dedicated photography store nearby. The closest thing I've got is a super small Ritz which only caries a couple of lenses, all of which im not looking into. But yes it would help alot If I could hold atleast the tamron and sigma.

-TBH I'm skeptical of having a full plastic lens (the tamron)......but It does come with a 6 year waranty.

-The Pentax is good from what I've read, but there is better according to all of its reviews I've personally seen.

-I've heard of alot of people with the sigma macro lens in canon, nikon, pentax, etc. mounts so It must be good. My worries here is that its seems Sigma has bad QC.

I know they are all good, so I'd like to hear the problems with either of the three you have used, be it super small or a major problem in your oppinion.

Thanks again,
Tanner

02-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
IMHO - 180mm is too long. If you are indoors, you will find that you cannot change camera angles very easily. This is where the 50mm macros are nice - you can easily change angles because you are close to your subject. When I am doing macro photography on a table, the 50mm works much better. A 180mm - you'd better have a LOT of room.

Tom
02-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Too bad Sigma don't make their 150mm f/2.8 macro with Pentax mount. I hope they do some day. A 150/2.8 macro with HSM would be nice. Perfect macro lens for bugs.

I bought Tamron 90mm yesterday, a nice lens. I bought the Tamron because it is better and alot cheaper than Pentax D FA 100/2.8 (here in Norway D FA costs 215USD more than Tamron 90).
I would have bought Sigma 105mm, but it was about 170-180USD's more.

If all three lenses costs the same where you live, buy the Sigma 105mm.

Tests:

Tamron 90mm

Pentax 100mm

Sigma 105mm (Nikon mount test)
02-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
My worries here is that its seems Sigma has bad QC.
To the best of my knowledge Sigma had QC issues in the past and now that reputation still sticks although these days they don't ship any more duds than other companies. In particular with their EX series lenses you should have no need to worry.

With any lens from any manufacturer I'd try to be able to return/replace it, if you are not happy with a copy. But I don't think there is any reason to be more wary with Sigma than with another manufacturer.

Last edited by Class A; 02-06-2009 at 04:55 PM.
02-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
+1 on this lens.

02-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #24
Forum Member

Sigma 70mm 2.8 Macro

From reviews the 70mm Sigma is also a very good lens. I did not check the cost of this lens but would think it to be a bit cheaper than the 100s.

I wonder if at 70mm you would run into the same focusing distance problems of a 50mm?
02-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So the general consensus is the sigma 105mm......could someone post a picture of this lens on a K200d preferably, but a K100d/K20d would work also.

I've decided against the tamron, but im still warry about the pentax. Any more word on this lens/why you didn't get this lens/why you got ___ lens instead of?

Thanks again.
02-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #26
Igilligan

what a great world we live in... I have a bucket full of macro lenses and one I don't have is the Tamy 90... I would love to have that lens as I have seen really nice portraits and macro's from it. Never really wanted the sigma for some reason. Colors maybe... I dont remember why exactly.

But IMO the Raynox 150 or 250 can be almost as good as most of the macro lenses for general macro shooting.

Now the sigma 180 is another story... I want that one...
02-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #27

Hey Yeatzee,

Try them out. I've got the D-FA 100mm f2.8 and although most people think that built quality is crap, I've never had an issue with it...

The IQ is fantastic. I don't know about the other 2 lenses, but with the D-FA you have the quickshift focus which is very very handy for macro stuff.
Maybe someone can clarify for the other 2 lenses.

Good luck, as Bwield said, you can't go wrong!

Regards,
MPOC
02-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The problem Is, i cannot try them out. I don't have any camera shop close enough other than like i said the Ritz camera place which caries the bare minimum sadly.

I've seen great pictures from all three, so there is no question that all are just good lenses period.

When you say quickshift focus, are you refering to the ability to use auto focus, and manually adjust the focus to exactly where you want? If so, that would be useful feature indeed.

I'm still looking for a picture with the sigma 105mm lens attached to a K200d if anyone has one btw.

Tanner
02-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Quick shift is a very useful feature in a lens, if the D-FA has it that would sway me. But as someone already said, you can't go wrong here. I've had up to 5 macro lenses in my posession, and they all worked well. And all "lesser" lenses than the three you mention. You'll be fine whichever way you go, I suspect. The upgrade from the kit lens should be quite notable.

I will add, my macro lenses never did what I wanted until I bought a tripod. Tight aperture, increased camera shake means motionlessness is key. I found a used cheapie for $5, and I watch it VERY carefully for tipping, but it helps a lot.
02-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Already got a tripod

Hmm so now im even more confused than I was when I started this topic.....

still looking for a pic with the lens on a K200d btw