Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #46
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I kind of agree with Steve about the cheap route option.
You dont have to spend a ton of money to get decent results or to learn how to shoot macro. A macro adaptor lens like the raynox or
some extension tubes can be a lot of fun for a very reasonable cash outlay...
As Steve said, all macro can be tough shooting.
I also agree with Gilligan and Steve about going the cheap route for Macro. I picked up a M100/4 Macro from a forum member for $80. It's only 1:2 but honestly that doesn't matter too much (I have extension tubes to get it closer).

Macro is difficult in every aspect - I'm still trying to figure out how you can capture those bugs so well!

I considered picking up a nice lens for Macro just like the OP, but I'm glad I got a used lens to cut my teeth on and figure out if Macro shooting is for me.

02-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #47
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve, I've fallen behind on this thread but Just to correct an clarify. I did say the Sigma 105mm was all metal and I should rephrase that. The barrel is all metal with Poly carbonate components for the outer barrel (focus ring etc.). Mine has a very slight nic where the magnification markings are and it's clearly metal (aluminum alloy?? which would explain the sound/feel as aluminum is quite different than steel) when you look at it up close.

If I compare it to the Tamron and I have, the Sigma is a superior lens in build quality. IQ they are all very similar. I just liked the Sigma's extra reach and since I shoot macro in manual anyway, Quick shift wasn't a big deal.
02-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #48
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'll post a pic of the combo I have shortly and possibly this can offer some ideas

Enticing the Light

Shooting Macros Section 1 - Equipment Enticing the Light

02-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #49
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Some pics of the Sigma 105mm on a K10D with a grip. There's an FA50mm f1.4 to compare which is about half the closed length.
I should note that although it comes with a great screw thread metal hood, you don't always need it since the front element is recessed about 2.5 cms.

Attached Images

02-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Where could I buy the tamron and save that $50? With the rebate on amazon it is only a little cheaper than the pentax and sigma 105mm.
I was using the current B&H pricing as the basis:
  • Tamron 90 $449
  • Sigma 70 $479
  • Sigma 105 $439

The current rebate with the Tamron is $60 which makes it $389 ($50 less than the Sigma 105). I noticed that Amazon will sell the Sigma for $406, so the price difference is not so great through that vendor.

They are all good lenses. Peter Zack feels that the build quality on the Sigma is better, so it might be the better pick.

Steve
02-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's another vote for the Sigma 70 2.8 EX DG, one of the best macro's I've ever shot.
02-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #52
Forum Member

Tanner, had you considered a manual focus macro lens (vivitar, kiron, tamron adaptall-2, etc) instead of a current generation AF macro lens or perhaps a longer non-macro telephoto lens with stacked extension tubes?

I have the non-Di version of the Tamron (model 72E) and its been a very reliable and sharp lens. I like the push-pull manual/AF control instead of a tiny switch and the rotary switch to control whether the lens has full range of focus or is limited