Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #16
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,972
Not snarky at all....

I want an SDM lens.
I want a weather sealed lens.
I shoot almost exclusively with my FA50 and FA77 - shooting nearly exclusively portraits.
I want a 50mm focal length that doesn't PF or create as much CA as the FA50
Indoors the 77 can be a bit lengthy, the 50 is about perfect (for me).
I want a 50mm that has the creamy/dreamy bokeh of the 77 (which this has).
Better build.
Wider and better grip for MF.

The extra money for the lens is certainly relevant, however fiddling in PP with the FA50 to get the look that I want is time consuming - and time is money.

That's my reasons. May, or may not make sense to you, but the cost is worth it to me.

c[_]

02-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,940
The f/1.4 shot is sharper than the f/2.2. The f/2.2 shot also has more PF and GF.
02-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #18
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, San Diego, Seattle
Posts: 456
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote

I want an SDM lens.
I want a weather sealed lens.
I shoot almost exclusively with my FA50 and FA77 - shooting nearly exclusively portraits.
I want a 50mm focal length that doesn't PF or create as much CA as the FA50
Indoors the 77 can be a bit lengthy, the 50 is about perfect (for me).
I want a 50mm that has the creamy/dreamy bokeh of the 77 (which this has).
Better build.
Wider and better grip for MF.

The extra money for the lens is certainly relevant, however fiddling in PP with the FA50 to get the look that I want is time consuming - and time is money.

That's my reasons. May, or may not make sense to you, but the cost is worth it to me.

c[_]
Bang-Dead On!

Some of use have a definite need for a lens like this, and are glad that such an option is being offered. Of course some of us were only wishing it came out last year already. And for some of us, it might even be coming out too late, (?)
02-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member
rburgoss's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 972
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Absent a comparison of the same image taken with a known prime (say the DA 43 or 50 f/1,4), what do you see that I'm missing?

I'm not trying to be snarky, it's just that the 55 must be something very special among the other excellent Pentax primes to justify being nearly as expensive as the 31 and more than twice the cost of the 50 f/1.4. I'd like to know what to look for,
Brian
That is exactly my point. This lens exhibits great specs and very good results, but at that price tag, it has to be a lot better than the FA50/1.4.

Other features as SDM, weather sealing and instant focus override manually are good, but what matters is the optical results. BTW, this is an ONLY SDM autofocus lens, so non SDM compliant bodies cannot AF with it.

02-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
It's almost impossible to tell with the very few shots we've seen how it stacks up
against the Fa 50 1.4 or any other lens.

I think it might be one of those lenses that you just fall in love with if you
have the chance to shoot one.

Even a slight improvement in sharpness/CA at f/1.4 starts becoming apparent to
the shooter after a couple dozen shots - after a couple hundred, it's hard to go
back to the inferior lens, even if it's not easy to point out the differences in a
side-by-side 2-shot sample on an online forum.

It's like wine tasting, an analogy that I'm finding more & more apt - the more you
partake, the more obvious the differences are to you. (I hate wine, but
'beer tasting' analogy is just funny to me.)



.
02-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #21
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,972
The FA35 and the FA31 are fairly similar in image quality as well...and are about the same in price difference as the FA50 and the DA*55.

The FA31 on this site is heralded as the god of all lenses....so I don't see the reason to nag on this lens. If you don't have a need for it...don't buy it.

c[_]
02-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 278
For people who are interested in the bokeh of the 55*,

this thread has quite a few photos just posted today.

DA★55F1.4,V视界开卖了! - 无忌论坛

I think it looks very good. I wish it was a limited. I don't think the green ring on top of the golden ring look very timeless.
02-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
bokeh looks smooth, but purple fringe test didn't seem so hot. but not sure if that's a stress test or not. times i wish i could read

02-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 278
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
bokeh looks smooth, but purple fringe test didn't seem so hot. but not sure if that's a stress test or not. times i wish i could read
The purple fringe 100% you see in the bottom of the page was from 85*. Anyway its easy to fix that in photoshop.
02-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #25
Senior Member
Zubati Kit's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 114
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
For people who are interested in the bokeh of the 55*,

this thread has quite a few photos just posted today.

DA★55F1.4,V视界开卖了! - 无忌论坛

I think it looks very good. I wish it was a limited. I don't think the green ring on top of the golden ring look very timeless.

looks great esp the example on page 4
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*, da*55/1.4, k-mount, pentax lens, sdm, slr lens, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
645D, K-m2 and NEW LENSES DA*10-16/4 SDM, DA*20/2 SDM, DA*28/2 SDM ogl Pentax News and Rumors 165 08-11-2010 03:26 AM
DA 17-70mm SDM vs DA* 16-50mm SDM? shang Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-02-2010 06:09 AM
New 55mm SDM 645D lens means no SDM II? alehel Pentax News and Rumors 11 03-14-2010 09:43 AM
New SDM rear TC, SDM only or SDM + screw drive? morfic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 10-01-2008 08:23 AM
Lens offer from Amazon: DA* 50-135 SDM & DA* 16-50 SDM f8 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 03-25-2008 04:45 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top