Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Don't know about focus problems ...
My FA31, which worked perfectly on the K100D, decided to BF pretty badly on the K20D. After some diligent focus adjustment, everything is in perfect order. Actually, I had to adjust ALL of my lenses with the K20D...

02-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #17

OMG, 30% discount under street price, what are you waitting for? go for it nowwwwwwww
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Peter, there is really not that much difference between the two lenses. However, Fa 31mm ltd would cast better contrast and creating a better mood at times, depending on the scenes you are photographing.

Sigma 30mm f1.4 is a very versatile lens that I took it on a trip to Thailand. This lens is pretty much all I need for countryside views and street candid. The lens is also something you do not need to offer too much care: pretty tough to withstand wear and tear and it does not hurt that much when it is damaged.

The corner sharpness issue is a little too exagerated. This prime 30mm f1.4 like 50mm f1.4 has one of the best background bokeh rendering among all lenses. At least, most of the time, the bokeh turns out to be neutral rather than harsh.

Ultimately, if you are going to put two images taken by each lens respectively, I would not be able to tell which image is taken by what lens at all.

I had my sigma 30mm f1.4 used on canon 20D many many years ago. It did give me nice and
decent images! (Imagine how pathetic the canon 20d sensor is now?)

Sigma 30mm f1.4 images
02-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
My FA31, which worked perfectly on the K100D, decided to BF pretty badly on the K20D. After some diligent focus adjustment, everything is in perfect order. Actually, I had to adjust ALL of my lenses with the K20D...
Ditto! Looking forward to k30d autofocus capability.

02-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote

I'm thinking about FA31 only because I found dealer that would sell it 30% under street price, just because he wants to get rid of the lens (last piece of Pentax in stock) otherwise that's out of price bracket too....l
No brainer: buy the 31. End of discussion. Seriously.
02-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Peter, there is really not that much difference between the two lenses. However, Fa 31mm ltd would cast better contrast and creating a better mood at times, depending on the scenes you are photographing.

Sigma 30mm f1.4 is a very versatile lens that I took it on a trip to Thailand. This lens is pretty much all I need for countryside views and street candid. The lens is also something you do not need to offer too much care: pretty tough to withstand wear and tear and it does not hurt that much when it is damaged.

The corner sharpness issue is a little too exagerated. This prime 30mm f1.4 like 50mm f1.4 has one of the best background bokeh rendering among all lenses. At least, most of the time, the bokeh turns out to be neutral rather than harsh.

Ultimately, if you are going to put two images taken by each lens respectively, I would not be able to tell which image is taken by what lens at all.

I had my sigma 30mm f1.4 used on canon 20D many many years ago. It did give me nice and
decent images! (Imagine how pathetic the canon 20d sensor is now?)

Sigma 30mm f1.4 images
Hi James

first I am a big fan of your work and been inspired by your photos many times.
when I was looking to move on to digital it was yours and Aravis's work that convinced me to get Pentax digital and the 31mm. I remember reading a post by you on this forum about how amazing this lens is.
but the last few days I see you are dissing this lens a little.
can you tell us why?
I am just an amateur but this lens is with out a doubt the best I ever seen with every shot have this PRO look to it. not to mention that this lens is the pride and joy of Pentax and the one thing that makes canon and Nikon people wish they had a Pentax.
I love your 31mm gallery I think its just amazing
02-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Peter, I was in your situation for a long time. I subsisted on a K mount 28mm f/2.8 and then moved up to a VIvitar 28mm f/2. I needed the speed, but 35mm was just too long, so I regretfully scratched out the FA 35mm. A Sigma 28mm f/1.8 would have been perfect, except it's huge and heavy, the oposite of what primes are supposed to be (IMO). I also considered the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, which I've used on a friend's Canon; I could only see the pics on the review LCD, but they seemed pretty good to me.

I contemplated waiting for the DA* 30mm (f/1.4?), but I needed a lens now, so in the end I bought the 31 Ltd while the Live.com cashback was around and saved 25%. While I would prefer a 28mm focal length, it's a fantastic lens and I don't regret buying it. I imagine I'll keep it as long as I remain with Pentax. As for the micro-hood, it's really no big deal.

02-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK guys, now I'm completely torn...
I appreciate all input.
Yes, I know FA31 is one of the all time greatest lenses for our system, but I've always considered it overpriced, the discount I was offered makes it much better deal, but it's still £500!!!
As for the Sigma... I thought it's decent, but I don't know how decent! James your gallery pulled me back for a while, but when I had a look on your FA31ltd gallery, I liked it more. I don't know if it's differences in PPing or sensor but those shots just have more "pop" then Sigma ones...
Anyway, I will sleep on this, and maybe on my way to work I'll stop in the shop again to test the AF... I do not want to adjust anything though, I did it roughly week ago and settled on +90um because my DA40 was BFing. If the 31 will be BFing then I'm not getting it. 40 is my most used lens, and it's most importatn for me to have AF aligned to that lens! And since I only have K10D and not K20D I don't want to leave it in debug mode.... well we'll see...
I'll let you all know tomorrow
thnak you all again
BR
02-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Peter. If you could see the difference between Fa 31mm ltd and Sigma 30mm f1.4. By all means, go for Fa 31mm ltd. It is only a problem when people do not see the difference between these two lenses and go for the best of the best only to whine about Fa 31mm ltd in the forum.

The difference is quite big for me. Hence I ditch the sigma 30mm f1.4. After all, sigma 30mm f1.4 was a lens that I hit and banged against multiple types of surfaces many times before I gave it for free to a friend of mine in US. Sigma lens is a lens to treat like a slave while Fa 31mm ltd is my very precious...
02-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
can you tell us why?
I am just an amateur but this lens is with out a doubt the best I ever seen with every shot have this PRO look to it. not to mention that this lens is the pride and joy of Pentax and the one thing that makes canon and Nikon people wish they had a Pentax.
I love your 31mm gallery I think its just amazing
Your words are way too flattering and I really appreciate your kind words.

Regarding the question, I have sent you a pm
02-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

F/FA28/2.8 - I love 28mm FOV on APS-C but they are still 2.8 only (though I think I could live with it) they are very affordable but hugely unavailable
Manual focus 28's are pretty easy to come by, though, and some are faster than f/2.8. You could get the highly regarded A28/2 right now form KEH for around the same price on as the Sigma 30/1.4, but not having tons of sample images to pixel peep, I could see being hesitant. It does get *amazing* resolution test scores, though. Not sure where the Vivitar 28/2 Miserere mentioned fits in.

Or you could go mega-cheap and pick up a 28/2.8 for $50 or so. I very much enjoy my M28/2.8, and find f/2.8 less of a limitation on this than on the DA40 because my uses of the lenses differ.

Anyhow, that could be something to tide you over while you continue to consider your options and wait to see if/when/how the DA*30 materializes.
02-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #27
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I did it!!!
details later...
BR
02-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Ooh, sounds intriguing!

I did it!!!
details later...
BR
02-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

OK guys, now I'm completely torn...
I appreciate all input.
Yes, I know FA31 is one of the all time greatest lenses for our system, but I've always considered it overpriced, the discount I was offered makes it much better deal, but it's still £500!!!
Overpriced? It is what it is...value is in the eye of the beholder. If you don't see a difference and don't *feel* a difference when using it then you shouldn't buy it. Simple as that. And there is no right or wrong answer.

That said, I don't believe in being penny wise and pound foolish. I decide what I really want and get that. The "compromises" almost always come back to bite me in the butt. Buy it once by buying right the first time.
02-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Peter, looks like you pulled he trigger already, but if not, I'd say that the
Sigma 28 1.8 has a lot of potential - but I wouldn't recommend it unless you
either had the K20D or were comfortable wit the debug/AF adjustment on
the K10D.

I had ordered a copy for my D80, but sent it back because of FF issues.

(There is no AF adjustment available standard on the d80 - and when I asked
if there was a debug option in dpreview's Nikon forum, I got some derisive,
perplexing "AF adjustment is a sham, dummy!" type answers. I realized they
were bitter about not having it and dropped it. )

Anyway, here are typical images from my version before I sent it back,
not quite on target (But I have seen some examples from good copies of this
lens that really impressed me) :

(f/2.5, f/1.8, f/1.8)

(focus was on eye, nose is in focus, you can see the FF)