Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #31
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
trigger got pulled

Hi guys,
first of all I want to thank you for all the input, some good arguments to be read here...
nostatic: no matter what quality glass for me as hobby photographer 700 (monthly rent for my place is 725, just for perspective) is waaaaaaayyy overpriced!
jsherman: sorry, too late... I considered that lens too but it's practicaly impossible to get in London, and I don't do online shopping - I'm very old fahioned and I like to hold and try before splashing cash.

Anyway, after failing to get F28/2.8 my LBA was rearing it's ugly head very prominently! I know I have few gaps in quality glass and my main problem was not having decently fast low ligh performer wider than 50 (F50/1.7) or 40 - that's if you are really tolerant as for what decently fast is - (DA40/2.8ltd), and I didn't have decent lens to fit between Sigma 10-20 and DA40 and I find that gap just too wide. So I decided to kill to flies in one go...
Sigma 30/1.4 has mixed reviews, but SRS microsystems are selling it for 265, which is very nice price tag. But then Jessops decides to stop selling Pentax and starts selling out their gear. At first I got D-BG2 for 60 (great deal IMHO). In the same branch (I'm passing it every day on my way to work) they had this FA31ltd silver. I never thought about it as it's price tag was 699. Knowing that they are discontinuing Pentax I asked how much would they lower the price on that lens. Answer 650 didn't rock my boat and I walked. Week later my LBA was kicking badly, dealer on AFing 28/2.8 was failing me, I walked back and asked again. I was told 500, I tried the lens but suspected BFing and walked away again...
After another week, reading replies here and checking internet, I decided what the hell, 500 is great price for 31ltd, so wanted to retest AF and if AF was OK, buy it.
So on saturday morning I went back with my wife (co-judge on AF and she has steadier hands which proved vital). As we walked through the door I noticed this big tag next to FA31 saying:
At manager's special offer now only 342.50!!!
I gave it quick test again (couldn't take any decen't pics as I was shaking like a leaf by excitement, so my wife snapped few), asked about return policy, and walked away. This time with my new shiny silver FA31/1.8ltd in my bag

I mean if I wouldn't buy it for that price I'd be ashamed to show my face in here...

After few quick tests all seems OK
further notes on this lens will come later, after I'll put it through it's paces..

BR
Peter

PS: thank you guys for making my going back to the shop... and please don't hate me now, when I baged (I believe) the cheapest 31ltd

02-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on a great deal!!
02-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Wow Peter! For 340 pounds!!????
As you said: you'd have a reason not to show your face in here id you wouldn't get it for that price!

Congratulations and have fun with it! Can hardly wait to see some pics taken with it!
02-08-2009, 03:39 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I think this is a great decision you have made

02-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Can't beat that.
02-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Sometimes...

...being under appreciated... pays!
02-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #37
Veteran Member

So he who hesitates... sometimes gets a great deal on a fantastic lens!
With what you saved, you could get a second K10 used and adjust its focus specifically to your 31 ltd

Congrats!
02-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Sorry Peter, I hate you.

But good move, mate. And it shows that good things come to those who wait.

02-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Definitely a score. Not to put ideas in your head, but you could likely sell it here for much more than you paid.

I disagree with your other post, though maybe it is just semantics. At $700 ($800US right now) it isn't overpriced. It is just expensive (relative to other things - though not to comparable lenses). There is a difference. Myself and many others think that the lens certainly is worth the asking price. I understand not having a lot of disposable income (been there, done that) and I understand relative costs. But I wouldn't describe any of the limited prime lenses as being overpriced.
03-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #40
Veteran Member

If you decide to sell, I book my plane within the next hour....
And the silver one too