Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 03:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
First of all, the conventional wisdom states that the use of a teleconverter with a wide angle lens is not advisable, so let's disregard the 16-50. But, I suspect it would work if really needed.

When I purchased my copy of the 50-135, I sat for a few minutes in the parking lot and tried the lens out. For some reason, I mated my Tamron with the lens. It focuses just fine, but the image quality degradation was very apparent. Even on the camera's LCD screen, when I zoomed way up, I could see the problems.

Since that first try, I have not used a tc with the 50-135 and have not tried it with the 16-50. So...it works, but expect considerable image quality degradation.
I too am surprised that you noticed such a big image degradation using a TC w/ the DA* lens. I know you've mentioned using it on a DA*50-135 but I've recently been using a Tamron 1.4 + DA*300 combo and image quality is still excellent. I've also tried it with my DA*50-150 and didn't notice any big difference, although I haven't tested it out as much as I have with the DA*300. I'll have to try it again in a couple days when I'm off work.

Here's a shot of mine taken with the DA*300 + Tamron 1.4 combo

02-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
I too am surprised that you noticed such a big image degradation using a TC w/ the DA* lens. I know you've mentioned using it on a DA*50-135 but I've recently been using a Tamron 1.4 + DA*300 combo and image quality is still excellent.

Here's a shot of mine taken with the DA*300 + Tamron 1.4 combo

Looks ok as you said.
But Tom (Borno) also said image quality was ok. But his SDM keeps hunting.
Any possibility that you can confirm that in your case SDM works perfect and let us know the exact version of your 1.4TC?

Daniel
02-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
Looks ok as you said.
But Tom (Borno) also said image quality was ok. But his SDM keeps hunting.
Any possibility that you can confirm that in your case SDM works perfect and let us know the exact version of your 1.4TC?

Daniel
The image quality degradation comment was to volosong (thus the quote) who said he had noticed significant drop in image quality. My camera does not use SDM so I cannot comment on SDM functions. I have however read through this thread which confirms that the teleconverter I use, a Tamron 1.4X MC4, does indeed work with SDM. It talks about other converters as well, you should read through it.
02-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Hey Daniel,
I was using the 1.5x pz shq on my DA*300mm and it didn't work, I ordered another to try as others had luck with theirs. I have been using the 1.7x afa and have even stscked the afa and the kenko 1.5x and it focused ok with the screw drive so I'm puzzled. I will give it another go with another one and if it doesn't work I'll sell one of them.
Borno

It has to be Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x teleplus SHQ. Can you verify the exact model of your TC?

Daniel

02-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Daniel,
I got my second kenko teleplus shq pz and while it does work the focus motor it doesn't lock on to my liking. It overshoots and then goes back a couple of times (same as my other one). I guess I'll sell one and wait for the pentax version. I'm pretty skeptical that any of these would work to my satisfaction.