Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

43mm filter

I'm curious if people use UV filters on their 43ltd? I only recently got this lens - and it is my first ltd lens. I keep filters on all my lenses unless I'm going to be shooting a portrait session in which case I take them off. I've heard lots of debate about whether these filters effect the image although I have never done any specific testing personally... It just makes sense to protect your lens most of the time.

But I'm wondering if the position of the screw-on hood on the 43 will be adversely affected if I add a filter?

Can anyone share their insight here?

Thanks.... Chris

02-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I'd imagine the hood of the FA 43 would protect it pretty well. I think most screw-in hoods are shorter than they could be, to avoid vignetting if you mount a filter between them and the lens. Shoot a shot against a blank wall with just the hood, then add the filter and hood, and shoot again. If there's vignetting, it's up to you how acceptable it is, and if it dissapears stopped down.

I rarely use UV filters anymore, I find the multicoated ones hard to clean, and don't want to worry about image degradation or double images (lights at night).
02-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
I'd imagine the hood of the FA 43 would protect it pretty well. I think most screw-in hoods are shorter than they could be, to avoid vignetting if you mount a filter between them and the lens. Shoot a shot against a blank wall with just the hood, then add the filter and hood, and shoot again. If there's vignetting, it's up to you how acceptable it is, and if it dissapears stopped down.

I rarely use UV filters anymore, I find the multicoated ones hard to clean, and don't want to worry about image degradation or double images (lights at night).
I was thinking the same thing - that the hood would protect it just fine - but I was curious what others did.

I take my filters off at night and other special occasions but I have a bit of a habit of losing lens caps so for lots of events I just leave the filters on and the lens caps at home... But that's just me
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It really comes down to what filter you want to use and for what effect. If you want to use a filter only to protect the front element of the lens there are clear filters available. I believe some are multi-coated. I wouldn't say any filter degrades an image but rather alters it.

Secondly, if you are using the 43 LTD on a DSLR the crop factor will allow you quite a bit of leeway for the lenshood since you are not using the entire image circle from the lens. I routinely use the hood for my 28mm lens stacked on top of a filter on my 24mm lens while shooting with my K200D and see no problems. For use with a film camera the test CSoars mentioned sounds good.