Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 adapters

I might be able to get a few old screw-mount lenses. I know that I need an adapter for my K10D, but wonder what I must pay attention to when buying them. Research on the internet shows that there might be 'bad' ones and 'good' ones.

Any makes recommended? Does Pentax still make them?

02-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's no substitute for the correct Pentax branded one. They appear on the Pentax site randomly, but are available elsewhere. Usually, marked up excessively. The right price is around $30.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I might be able to get a few old screw-mount lenses. I know that I need an adapter for my K10D, but wonder what I must pay attention to when buying them. Research on the internet shows that there might be 'bad' ones and 'good' ones.

Any makes recommended? Does Pentax still make them?
02-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Avoid all adapters with a small ring or flange around the k-mount. This ring will prevent you from focusing at infinity, as it adds to the lens mount to sensor distance. Many cheap Chinese adapters are made like this.

A M42-K-mount adapter needs to be place completely inside the camera's mount, to work properly. Pentax adapters (and Hama and Kood) have a small metal spring, which locks the adapter inside the camera mount and then you screw in the M42 lens. If you use a M42 lens very often, I would suggest to add an adapter permamently to that lens, screw off the small spring and make a small bore hole for the lens retaining pin on the camera mount. I have done that with all the M42 lenses I actually use.

Ben
02-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

You can still get the Pentax brand. I purchased a second hand one from a forum member and the same day Henry's called me to come pick one up that I had ordered two weeks previous.

So now I have one I use and one unused still in the package for a rainy day

- Andrew

02-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can also get them directly from the Pentax Webstore for US$30.95. I just received one and they are the 'genuine' article.
02-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
You can still get the Pentax brand. I purchased a second hand one from a forum member and the same day Henry's called me to come pick one up that I had ordered two weeks previous.

So now I have one I use and one unused still in the package for a rainy day

- Andrew
I bought mine from Henry's in Barrie also. I wonder if they sell a lot from that location? It was cheaper from there then it was on e-bay. It only took them a couple days to get one in for me.
02-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
You can also get them directly from the Pentax Webstore for US$30.95. I just received one and they are the 'genuine' article.
Not if you live in South Africa where the Original Poster lives. Does anyone know if Henry's will ship internationally?

My experience is only use the original!!!
02-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
Inactive Account

here is a link

here is an ebay item # 130282055403

it is more than $30 but you get the original item fast

02-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You can get them direct from Pentax at their website for around 30 bucks plus shipping.
02-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, will have a look around. How did you people find the one on the Pentax website? I did check but did not see it. I prefer original Pentax.

Thanks again.

Last edited by sterretje; 02-08-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: fixed typo
02-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure Pentax will ship worldwide. Here's how I found it using Google:
"site:www.pentaxwebstore.com screwmount bayonet" in the search string.

Last edited by rormeister; 02-08-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: remove auto link
02-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #12

I went to order one from the Pentaxwebstore.com, but unfortunately the only country option for shipping was USA.

I was able to find (and order) one from Henrys.com in Toronto, ON, and subsequent search found them at Vistek.ca as wll. So for those in Canada there are a couple of sources, for overseas buyers check with Henry's or Vistek to see if they will ship and the rate. i know from experience shipping overseas from Canada no matter what method can be a bit on the expensive side.
02-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter

And even if they did ship worldwide - like most places official storefronts, they'd probably use UPS priority international which would blow up in price for something as tiny as the "pentax mount adapter b"