Holy moly!
No, don't sell it!
Wow, the images are great!

10-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprot Quote
Hey - stop it. Are You make me decide over my feature buying plans (and not buying DA* 50-135). These photos seems to be just top notch. I even looked up the price I could get a new one here in estonia. These pictures and the knowledge of my own good FA50 ... damn you :P
At this point If I were to recommend only three AF lenses for Pentax - if you could
own only three - I'd say DA 12-24, DA* 50-135, and FA 77.

(but then I'd try to convince you to build a small collection of M's & Super Taks to fill in the holes )

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
Holy moly!
No, don't sell it!
Wow, the images are great!

Won't be selling it. I talked down the voices in my head. Or should I say, the
lens did.

10-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by casualcollector Quote
Sorry. Not familiar enough with modern Pentax. Thought you were selling a 31 year old Ford.
I learned to drive in a '76 LTD. WoW was that a boat!!

I made the mistake of armor -alling the interior.. for months when you went around a corner, you had to hang on or else slide across those huge vinyl bench seats.

Also, there was one right hand corner that ALWAYS killed the engine when the engine was cold... of course that also meant the power steering went out... it made that corner ..well... exciting.

-k
10-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Just a few more from today:

(wide open)

10-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #20
Pentaxian

you need people like Gandalf to remind you to let it go Jay..

.. Let it go Jay.. give it to someone who willing to suffer.. let it be somebody else burden..
10-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Here's what I've found - the 77 limited is the One Ring. It's your precious. You want to get rid of it, but it wont let you let it go.
Too right! I was thinking about selling my copy a few months back, so I put it on the camera to see what I was missing. It was difficult to take it back off. Even when not mounted it is always the "other" lens I am carrying.

FA77 and DA35 make a killer low-weight combination.

Vivi 105 macro and Vivi 28 is another great 1-2 punch.
10-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Low light, oh yeah

ISO 800, f/1.8 (wide open)

10-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Test the replacement K20D

My prodigital2000 K20D arrived today, so I had to test it. FA77ltd steps
up to volunteer.

11-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #24
Syb
Site Supporter

Hey! If I look at your pictures, you look like a decent photographer. You don't need the 77 to make nice pics! I guess you could do this exercise with all of your lenses, and get great results then.

I think you should close this thread. Instead of letting new voices in, you could try to get the voices OUT of your head. Once you accomplish that, the choice will be much easier, and less dependent on the mood here on the forums...
11-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I've got to get me one of those!

(one day... one day...)
11-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Hey! If I look at your pictures, you look like a decent photographer. You don't need the 77 to make nice pics!
They are indeed very nice pics. And this argument goes around and around (in my head, even!)
  • A good photographer doesn't need "perfect" lenses.
  • A better lens will render a better picture.
  • But most lenses are "good enough" so you don't need another.
And so on.

I think the only rule is to get the best you can afford and don't sweat the difference that many will not notice. Me, I notice the difference between "excellent" and "quite good". This might be a curse; I don't know.
11-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #27
Syb
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Me, I notice the difference between "excellent" and "quite good".
True, me too, I think. But I have always heard that it is the musician that can make a violin sing.

What I mean is this: we (this includes me) are spoiled with a vast amount of lenses, so that we keep thinking that a different (new) lens will give new possibilities. Instead of that, we could (and should!) try to enhance our capabilities to get great results with the lenses we have already on the shelf.

This is:
- cheaper (one ends up buying far less new glass, and cabinets to store them in)
- more rewarding (a great picture from a crappy lens displays craftsmenship, that feels better to me than a picture displaying my lba)
- real fun.

Call me conservative. But lately when I go somewhere to take pictures, I take only one prime lens to go, maybe two. That is because it forces me to look at opportunities for that very lens. It trains the eye!

Only when you find yourself often in the position that you want something badly (in the field) that you cannot achieve with your glass, you should decide to buy something new.

I find myself mostly speaking to myself here (and I need some words, considering to buy a 50mm/1.2 when I have a FA 50/1.4 already), dunno if you are at the edge of the possibilities of your glass.

Does this help?
11-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Well, I bought the 55 f/1.2 but that is because my next fastest glass was f/1.8. I think that was justified.

It is certainly true that some lenses open up more opportunities than others, whether because they are faster, longer, shorter, macro (those four factors are nice and concrete) or render better (a more subtle distinction). Then there's the convenience factor. Even if a photog already has primes from 28 through 200 they might want a single zoom for those occasions when changing lenses is too much of a pain. It looks like duplication, but it isn't really, since it's a task-based distinction.

Besides the tangible factors of being fast (enough) and covering a useful focal length (for many), the FA77 is also very handy for being AF and compact. I don't think there's anything else like it available, so buying one is always justified.
11-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #29

The textures of most of the photography that most of you post are none other than stunning. The imagry are so vivid and alive... I need one of these obviously!
11-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Jay, it's good to see you back in the saddle with a K20D. I was thinking of you today while I was standing on a dock on a lake taking some pics (I put Spike in the truck, just in case and nobody else was there).