Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #106
Site Supporter
vagrant10's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: portland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,361
Posts like this are making me want to get the k20 soon... I have been needing/wanting to take higher iso pics @ family gatherings but have resorted to using flash to get the shots I want. In many instances, I could have benefited w/ the k20 high iso shots rather than using flash w/ the k10. Thanks for posting!

12-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #107
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
I see you are giving nice names to your lenses:
77ltd is "hansome boy"
31ltd was something like "lady queen" or something similar...
nice way
12-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #108
Pentaxian
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,427
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I see you are giving nice names to your lenses:
77ltd is "hansome boy"
31ltd was something like "lady queen" or something similar...
nice way
Yes, I am very proud of the special lens that I am very fortunate to have used. Though I made the move to sell my Lady Queen, but I know my queen will be back some day when I am ready financially and that I have the confidence to shoot the best prime in Pentax
  • Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 limited -- my Handsome Boy. I pick that name as it I have the most beautiful pictures of my boys with that lens
  • -
  • Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 limited -- my Lady Queen. I use "Lady Queen" to denote it as the legendary and one of a kind. I have yet another nick name not frequently used. I also call it my Fat Lady as it has the biggest filter size in 58mm among other limited lens
  • -
  • Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 limited -- my Hockey Puck as my pancake is black in color and it looks like a hockey puck with the cap on
  • -
  • Cosina 55mm f/1.2 -- my Big Eye as it has the biggest aperture among all of my lens
  • -
  • Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 -- my Zebra Football as it has unique zebra stripes among the Czj lens and the size reminds me of a football.
12-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #109
Pentaxian
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,427
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Posts like this are making me want to get the k20 soon... I have been needing/wanting to take higher iso pics @ family gatherings but have resorted to using flash to get the shots I want. In many instances, I could have benefited w/ the k20 high iso shots rather than using flash w/ the k10. Thanks for posting!
The K10D is an outstanding camera too. I would not urge people to go and get the K20D quickly without a checklist against 'needs' with 'wants.' If money is not a concern and that you can sell your K10D, I would caution on the purchase. I have a difficult time in selling my K10D after K20D purchase. Had I known it beforehand, I would think twice in the purchase. Both the K10D and K20D are very capable cameras. I am novice in post processing and I prefer more time to spend with my kids and sweetie, hence better JPG engine will fit my needs better. If you shoot in RAW, I think the difference is harder to find and I would even go the extra step to say that K10D may be better in some other areas as Dx0 report has shown in terms of sensor testing.

Also in the series, I shot all non-portraits pictures just with ambient light and the 77mm does very well for me. For all portraits, I chose flash as I want to 'make the shot' in a snapshot fashion as the flash helps significantly in such a dark environment. In my opinion, the K10D can have done similarly on the flash portraits but the high iso in JPG would be better in K20D. If in raw, I would guess a bit better in K20D but really not by much for those who know PP well.

12-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #110
Syb
Veteran Member
Syb's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Utrecht, Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,224
This thread continues to amaze me. It is so nice to see all the pictures posted by true lovers of this lens... it is only another encouragement to take it with me more often. Most pictures are in the nature- and almost macro-like work though. I see just a few portraits.

Would that have to do with privacy issues?

There is not a detail that this lens conceals....
12-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #111
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
This thread continues to amaze me. It is so nice to see all the pictures posted by true lovers of this lens... it is only another encouragement to take it with me more often. Most pictures are in the nature- and almost macro-like work though. I see just a few portraits.

Would that have to do with privacy issues?

There is not a detail that this lens conceals....

Ever see the movie Interview With the Vampire? There's a scene in that movie
in which the older mentor-vampire is showing the new vampire the world through
his newly-immortal eyes, and he points at a statue in a garden, and says "watch
closely" - and the statue's eyes suddenly move just a bit to look right at him. The
inanimate actually has an inner, magical life of it's own was the message, but
you need to be magical to see it.

That's what the 77 limited does for you. It can show you the world magically -
and maybe that's the way the world really is.


.
12-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #112
Veteran Member
kristoffon's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 532
Please let me post my modest contributions. I absolutely love this lens, it's impossible to take a bad shot with it.








12-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #113
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
Please let me post my modest contributions. I absolutely love this lens, it's impossible to take a bad shot with it.
...
Those are great! I took a look at the full-sized image of the deer - love how the fence is
the focal plane for part of it. Very sharp, thrilling captures.


.

12-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #114
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
The K10d does quite nicely at ISO 800 with the FA 77. I love the way natural light can bring an innocence to the scene. (The vignetting was added.)

12-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #115
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I find the 77 to be a "magic lens". If you are the right distance away it is hard to get a bad shot with it. I've shot in very dark clubs with it and gotten very nice results (on a K20d).
The FA77 is definitely my fave for indoor shots. I'm very tempted by the K20d.
12-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Douglas_of_Sweden's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,353
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Yes, I am very proud of the special lens that I am very fortunate to have used. Though I made the move to sell my Lady Queen, but I know my queen will be back some day when I am ready financially and that I have the confidence to shoot the best prime in Pentax
  • Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 limited -- my Handsome Boy. I pick that name as it I have the most beautiful pictures of my boys with that lens
  • -
  • Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 limited -- my Lady Queen. I use "Lady Queen" to denote it as the legendary and one of a kind. I have yet another nick name not frequently used. I also call it my Fat Lady as it has the biggest filter size in 58mm among other limited lens
  • -
  • Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 limited -- my Hockey Puck as my pancake is black in color and it looks like a hockey puck with the cap on
  • -
  • Cosina 55mm f/1.2 -- my Big Eye as it has the biggest aperture among all of my lens
  • -
  • Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 -- my Zebra Football as it has unique zebra stripes among the Czj lens and the size reminds me of a football.
Mmmh...have you told your psychologist about this?
12-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #117
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Posts: 208
K20D and Fa 77mm 1,8 Limited

I am about ready to pull the trigger on the FA 77mm 1.8 limited lens and just want to make sure there are no issues with it when matched with the K20D.
Is the af performance really poor and noisy?

Thanks
12-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #118
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
One of the best combinations that exist in the history of mankind.

Well maybe that is a bit much, but with the K20d the 77 is my favorite lens.
12-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #119
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
Fa 77 ltd is a great lens and the initial reason that I start to use pentax system for photography.

However, Fa 77 ltd has a few issues.

1. Bokeh Ca (still happening on k20d sensor)

2. Hunting autofocus at f1.8 (better than having no autofocus at all )

3. Imperfect circles with specular highlights

4. It tends to white out images completely with low contrast subjects/scenes

5. Front caps fall off easily (Just stack away the cap and buy some cheap Chinese pinch grip cap instead)
12-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #120
Veteran Member
nulla's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,560
A pure stellar lens


Every time I mount this lens I have to ask myself what made me take it off the camera.

This lens is my biggest LBA kick starter for my grand desire to get the Fa31 and Fa43


Maybe thats why I take it off


Neil
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error Problem in going in to pentax-slr-lens-discussion ranchy Site Suggestions and Help 5 09-24-2010 07:10 PM
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ needs Pentax K-7 to prove it ogl Pentax News and Rumors 133 10-24-2009 07:50 AM
Suggestion Change name of Film SLR and/or SLR Lens sub-forums clawhammer Site Suggestions and Help 4 07-31-2008 06:55 AM
http://www.1stopcamera.com good or bad? montezuma Photographic Technique 2 06-20-2008 07:25 AM
http://www.m-fortytwo.info/firstpage.htm solar1 Photographic Technique 0 01-25-2008 09:44 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top