Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #1

Tokina-Special Auto 28mm 1:2.8

Can anyone tell me anything about this lens? Mine has a K-mount fit for Pentax, and the number 806945. Filter size 52mm. Although called 'auto', there is nothing auto about it - manual focus prime with no A position on the aperture ring.

Tokina-Special Auto. 28mm F2.8 - F16. Prime. Manual focus and aperture.

02-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Damn Brit

The auto probably means you can still meter with it in M or Av modes.
02-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

On those vintage lens, "Auto" means the diaphragm will close automatically when you take a picture (with a vintage camera), and then go back to wide open. There were also "preset" lenses, where you had an adjustment ring for the diaphragm that was just a preset stop, and a follower ring that actually closed the diaphragm at the position you had set the preset ring, You focused wide open with those lens, then closed the diaphragm to the preset point just prior to taking the picture. The, there were the manual lens, were you had to shut the diaphragm by hand with no preset ring. Auto in those days had nothing to do with AF, but everything to do with diaphragm actuation.
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, I believe the "auto" means it has an aperture position equivalent to A, which allows you to use the camera for setting apertures in various modes. That is, you are not limited to "stop down" metering.

I sometimes see lenses advertised as auto an I think it is a bit deceptive--at least in these days. I bet it was clearer years back, before auto-focus.

02-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yes, I believe the "auto" means it has an aperture position equivalent to A, which allows you to use the camera for setting apertures in various modes. That is, you are not limited to "stop down" metering.
But this is only with older Pentax cameras not using a crippled K-mount. On any digital Pentax SLR the auto means nothing; the lens will behave as a Pentax-M or K lens.
02-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
But this is only with older Pentax cameras not using a crippled K-mount. On any digital Pentax SLR the auto means nothing; the lens will behave as a Pentax-M or K lens.
That's because all M and K lenses are also Auto in this same sense: they all stay open until the moment you hit the shutter (or otherwise ask the lens to stop down). The opposite of auto is an M42 lens in manual mode - it stops down the moment you turn the aperture ring. So "auto" means it doesn't do that.
02-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Miserere: But this is only with older Pentax cameras not using a crippled K-mount. On any digital Pentax SLR the auto means nothing; the lens will behave as a Pentax-M or K lens.
Miserere, I have a Tokina SD 400 auto lens. On my K20d body, it behaves just like an A lens. By that, I mean it allows me to use Green, Av or any other mode I wish, thereby allowing the K20d to assist in my metering.

This is not how any of my M lenses work.
02-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I checked my.
It's not "auto" just simple Tokina RMC 28/2.8 with f2.8-f16 and 52mm filter thread
Not sure if it's opticaly the same as yours.
If so, it's decently sharp at 2.8 good between f4 and f8. It's main problem is that it's really prone to flare (any, and I stress ANY, kind of light sourse even close to the frame will produce rectangular appreture halos accross the frame!). It's good for cloudy dull day in London, but you have to be careful in any other environment.
BR

02-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks very much for those replies to my first query on these boards - I'm impressed!
02-08-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PS: just noticed, nice to see another UK member...