Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
opinion on Sigma EX DC Macro 18-50 F2.8

There is one for sale in the market place right now for a half decent price, I am interested in it since I am looking for something to use as a replacement for the kit lens. The lens will be for a K20D (when I get it back in a month from warranty work)

Primary uses will be few here and there of my 1.27 year old, some of the dog and scenery. I am looking to spend up to $350 for the best lens I can get. This one in the marketplace falls in the range quite nicely.

So what does everyone think of this lens? Sorry I tried searching and came up dry, and I only found 1 review in the database. I am looking for more

02-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
whoops I intended this to go into the lens forum. I miss clicked, if a mod sees this could I get a magic carpet ride to that forum please?
02-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter

11 reviews here:

Amazon.com: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC SLD ELD Aspherical Macro Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
02-08-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I purchased this lens as a replacement for the kit lens and love it. It's sharp wide open, contrasty, and has a solid build. It's definitely a step up from the kit lens and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it. For the price it's a very good lens.

02-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

As I said in another thread, my experiences with this lens in Canon body are very good. I am getting one second-hand this evening to use with K20D, will post my impressions in few days.
02-08-2009, 07:05 AM   #6

It's a good lens. I can't find anything wrong with it. It's sharp enough, colors are more neutral, a little flatter, and it focuses fast. Colorwise, there's not as much pop as the 50-135 but that's not a real comparison anyway. You may even prefer it. I do sometimes. I'm only comparing it to the 50-135 here because those are the only 2 lenses I use.

Solid buy.
02-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are several versions of this lens so be sure which one your getting.

I have the latest version and the one I believe you are considering.

I love the lens. Great photos, a very usable zoom range and a constant aperture. Snag one at a good price and you won't be sorry.

I'm on the wrong computer or I'd post a shot or two from my copy.

good luck,
joe
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I have this lens (the latest one, with macro), and it is probably the best zoom lens I have ever owned. The color and contrast is excellent. The build quality is nice, and the size and weight aren't too bad considering the constant f/2.8. It is only slightly soft but still very usable wide open, and very sharp from f/4 on.

I have heard of some less than stellar examples of this lens, but mine is really excellent. Buy one from a reputable source with a good return policy, and test it under real life conditions. If the pictures look good, keep it!

02-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by mycarsoots Quote
I have this lens (the latest one, with macro), and it is probably the best zoom lens I have ever owned. The color and contrast is excellent. The build quality is nice, and the size and weight aren't too bad considering the constant f/2.8. It is only slightly soft but still very usable wide open, and very sharp from f/4 on.

I have heard of some less than stellar examples of this lens, but mine is really excellent. Buy one from a reputable source with a good return policy, and test it under real life conditions. If the pictures look good, keep it!
I can only agree to the above statement, the only negative I can say about it is some minor internal reflections when you have strong light sources in the picture.
02-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all I think I am going to pull the trigger on the lens as it seems pretty highly regarded. The only thing I can find is there may be some Quality Control issues with some of the copies basically as mycarsoots said.
02-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like I am a few minutes too slow, the lens in the market place was marked sold less then an hour ago. Now I am shopping for a lens in the same range
02-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Sigma 18/50 EX DG Macro

One thing I have learned is that when you really want some thing and it's available, do not hesitate or procrastinate, buy it now, quick or that chance may be gone forever. I've been wanting and looking and procrastinating over buying a Tamron 28/75 for over six months, CameraCanada had them on sale for $408. Yesterday I finally decided to make the purchase, too late, the price is now $589., $659. at Dons photo., guess I did'nt really need it anyhow. By the way I do have the Sigma 18/50 EX DG macro and I love it. It has a bit of a color cast which I think enhances images, it's very sharp and it focuses very fast on my K20. Good luck on your search. ken
02-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sharp when it doesn't front/backfocus. The ability to focus close is hella useful.
02-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Eremko Quote
One thing I have learned is that when you really want some thing and it's available, do not hesitate or procrastinate, buy it now, quick or that chance may be gone forever. I've been wanting and looking and procrastinating over buying a Tamron 28/75 for over six months, CameraCanada had them on sale for $408. Yesterday I finally decided to make the purchase, too late, the price is now $589., $659. at Dons photo., guess I did'nt really need it anyhow. By the way I do have the Sigma 18/50 EX DG macro and I love it. It has a bit of a color cast which I think enhances images, it's very sharp and it focuses very fast on my K20. Good luck on your search. ken
Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this (because I want to buy one as well), but Beach Camera has the Pentax Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for $329.

Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 SP AF Macro XR Di LD-IF For Pentax, With 6-Year USA Warranty |BeachCamera.com