Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tak vs K vs DA* vs FA ltd

I’m lucky enough to have a few lenses all in mint shape, but I find that my favorite lens changes from time to time. I can find plenty of information on each lens on the web, especially on the new lenses, but I’m not sure how relevant it is when it comes to actually using the lens.

So here it goes….I’ve tried the best I can to take a few pictures to compare each lens. Shots are taken off a tripod, using similar setting as much as possible (using shutter speed for exposure). Camera is a k20d using default settings. The lenses used in the comparison are;

• Takumar SMC 28/3.5
• K SMC 28/3.5 (pre M)
• DA* 16-50/2.8 (trying to zoom as close to 28mm as possible)
• DA 35/2.8 ltd
• FA 43/1.9 ltd

I haven’t imbedded the shots in the posting as the quality goes down too much at 600k. I’ve done two groups of shots. The first is using as high an aperture as the lens will allow into a difficult lighting situation. I found the mossy/rock areas behind the trees views differently between lenses.

The second is at the lowest aperture that the lens will allow.

As far as results, I’ll leave it open to interpretation. I will say that I’m sure I could tweek the k20d for each lens to get the most out of it, and I’m sure each lens has its own best type of use. One lens that you might not like as much in this set might be the best of the group in another setting….

As you can see from both sets of shots…it rains here a lot in the winter….moss everywhere….lol. I would be curious to know what people think.

smac : photos : Apples and Oranges- powered by SmugMug

Cheers!
Steve

02-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I think exposure plays a big roll here. The first set with the trees, the Tak is near the bottom of the heap, but then the shot of the clump of leaves, the Tak is near the top.

BTW, a very good idea, thanks for posting this.

- Andrew
02-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes...my thoughts as well....I have had trouble with exposure when using the manual lenses (using manual mode, focusing and pressing the green button....yet the Tak is still one of my favorites. I've considered using bracketting with them but didn't want to for this group of shots.
It also wasn't the best day "light wise" but I have little kids and had an hour to walk into the forest beside my house to take the pics.
PS...I've also taken the same shots in film with my ME Super....but it'll be a few weeks before it is developed and scanned.
02-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting series - goes to show, real world conditions often swamp out whatever lens differences there are. All are fine lenses, all make good photos!

The only time I've seen real world differences is when comparing Pentax/Takumar with lesser and cheaper makes.

02-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
smc, if you don't like the exposures you are getting with manual lenses and the green button on your k20d you might want to try using the depth of field preview button and metering that way. With my k10d I'm usually happier metering exposure with the DOF preview because I can dial in over/ underexposure using the light meter based on the lens and f-stop I have set without having to play around with exposure compensation.
02-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great idea, and well done. I love the title of your comparison!

I think it would also be interesting to see something at F5.6 or whatever the peak performance is for the different lenses, since most are soft wide open and there's also degradation past f/11.

But hey, maybe if I'm so picky I should do it myself eh? I have a forest nearby (and little kids too, so between them and work, there is limited time)... but it looks a lot colder here than where you are!
02-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Steinback..I'll check out the depth of field preview. That's the great thing about this forum, there are so many ideas or different ways of doing things.
Farfisa.....I'll have to run another set at a more moderate F stop, perferably when the light is better and I have more time to search for a subject. It was about 10C outside yesterday.....a little cooler today at 6C but rain starts again tomorrow. I have a k15/3.5 coming sometime soon.....I might add it into the mix
02-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
smc, if you don't like the exposures you are getting with manual lenses and the green button on your k20d you might want to try using the depth of field preview button and metering that way.
could you explain more on this a bit? i am having problems metering my tak on the k10d and i am not sure how to meter the way you do.

02-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Focus and use the green button to meter, then position the on/off switch past the "on" setting (to the small symbol that looks like a set of aperture blades). You should then be able to see the shot in the viewer without actually taking the shot. I had tried it on my k10d but I'm not sure how live view will mesh with this on my k20d.....
02-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BBear, when you look at the on/off switch on the k10d its settings are off -> on -> DOF preview (looks like a picture of an aperture).

Try this:

- With the camera in manual mode and an m42 lens mounted to it hold the DOF preview switch in its "on" position.
- The light meter is now turned on and looking through the viewfinder you can see the exposure bar at the bottom of it.
- If you are looking at the scene you want to take a picture of you can now turn either the aperture ring on the lens or the e-dial on the body that controls shutter speed and see the effect on the light meter
- Note that you can also use this procedure for metering on K and M series lenses
- Keep in mind that the light meter operates in one of spot or center weighted mode (I can't recall which) with manual lenses

There are a number of threads here on the forum discussing how the light meter's accuracy changes depending on what aperture you have set on a manual lens, but in general if you are at an aperture smaller than ~f/3.5 you will have to dial in some under exposure and if you are at an aperture larger than f/3.5 you will have to dial in some over exposure.
02-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi,
Hate to tell you but the compare depends on the number shots, i.e. shots of brandy or vodka or cognac or scotch or....
Then, when you are Absolute -ly clear take all those lenses and use them all and have fun.
Good luck,