Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

in search of a zoom

So after ComiCon I found out that I need a zoom lens for indoor crowded shoots that I like to do.
the perfect lens would be in range of wide - normal
31-60 for 35mm lens or something like 20-40for digital
fast at least 2.8 , sharp, and relatively small for the aperture
(and if I can similar or better optics than the canon 24-70 L )

am I living in a dream word? this beast exist for Pentax users?

I am willing to spend up to $1000 for a very good lens like that as it will save me in the long run

would you buy the 16-50? is that my best option?

02-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DA*16-50 by all reports is a fine lens. Haven't heard any complaints of lemons in several months. SDM, quick shift, weather sealing for a tidy $650-ish.

But if you aren't just dying to whip out that kind of money, even if you're willing to go $1K, you might take a look at the Tamron 17-50/2.8. At $400 it's optically every bit as good as the Pentax, a little smaller and lighter and $250 less.

Since you're in NYC I'd suggest taking a trip over to either Adorama or B&H and comparing them in person. Take some test shots and decide which one works best for you.
02-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Igilligan

Don't rule out the

Tamron 28-75 constant 2.8... I use it at some trade show events and I like the extra 25mm at the long end for getting the 'unposed', un-interupted kind of shots. If nothing else you can pick up a used one on this forums market place for around 250 and still have a lot of money left over...
02-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you!
sure would like to get a cheaper lens then 1K.
what i found out is that what I need the most out of a lens today is sharpness.
when I am getting the sharpest crispiest resolution... in photo shop I end up adding / changing bokeh and focus any way. but if the picture is blurry to beggin with there is nothing I can do.
so I am trying to find the sharpest lenses I can find even in low light indoor situations and I am willing to pay for it.

I love the super crisp images I am getting on digital with my k20D. I could only dream getting this resolution on film. and I can take these photos in to PS3 and do what ever I want with it. BC there is so much raw material to work with.

but my motto is that I like to buy lenses that last so I am still a little worry about the DA lenses. now when its not so sure if crop sensors are just a phase or what not

02-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Tamron 28-75 constant 2.8... I use it at some trade show events and I like the extra 25mm at the long end for getting the 'unposed', un-interupted kind of shots. If nothing else you can pick up a used one on this forums market place for around 250 and still have a lot of money left over...
nice!!
that's sounds like a good one.

I found it really hard to get stuff on this forum there is always a huge line for the good lenses do you know if there is a store I can buy it with out bidding?

never mind I see you can find it any where!

thanks

Last edited by redpigeons; 02-09-2009 at 11:38 AM.
02-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Igilligan

The tamy 28-75 is pretty sharp

this was at a new years eve rave... ISO 1600 F2.8

And a couple of shots from a trade show

02-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 28-75 is one of those lenses that half of me keeps sayin "You'll love it!" and the other half replies "why do you need this one again?". There's still 10 months of the year to find out how it plays out. hehe, sigh

02-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
thank you!
sure would like to get a cheaper lens then 1K.
what i found out is that what I need the most out of a lens today is sharpness.
when I am getting the sharpest crispiest resolution... in photo shop I end up adding / changing bokeh and focus any way. but if the picture is blurry to beggin with there is nothing I can do.
I suggest the DA* 16-50/2.8 PLUS DxO for another roughly $100. You need a good coffee maker or teapot for the DxO imports, but DxO's software turns the very, very good DA*16-50 into a virtually perfect lens. For sure, the coffee/tea time is a lot less than the post processing time, and you can enjoy a cuppa while waiting.

DxO are the people who make very sophisticated lens measuring instruments. They branched out a few years ago and added software. They analyzed the combination of the camera body and the lens, and came up with all the corrections. The "standard" version handles the Pentax K10D and K20D and a selection of the better Pentax lenses.
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I suggest the DA* 16-50/2.8 PLUS DxO for another roughly $100. You need a good coffee maker or teapot for the DxO imports, but DxO's software turns the very, very good DA*16-50 into a virtually perfect lens. For sure, the coffee/tea time is a lot less than the post processing time, and you can enjoy a cuppa while waiting.

DxO are the people who make very sophisticated lens measuring instruments. They branched out a few years ago and added software. They analyzed the combination of the camera body and the lens, and came up with all the corrections. The "standard" version handles the Pentax K10D and K20D and a selection of the better Pentax lenses.

Nice!!!
Thanks you for that! will check it out