Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
Promaster 1.7 teleconverter

I sold all my mirror lenses and found i missed the 500-600mm reach. So, I went to Wolfs camera and dropped $100 for the Promaster 1.7 auto TC. The images using this TC with my f*300mm are a bit better than the mirror lenses in sharpmess and much nicer color rendition. It still autofocuses, a bit slowly, but is very acceptable. I' would most likely still own the 500mm Tokina mirror lens if i didn't already have the f*300mm as it is a inexpensive performer. Heres a pic shot handheld with the f*300mm and 1.7tc


Last edited by ivoire; 10-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
02-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member
David Whiteley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 374
I have the same TC. It definitely makes the purple fringing on my Tokina 80-200 worse, but combining it with my newly-acquired DA*50-135 and I was shocked at how good the results are.

I guess it's true that good glass can stand up to be paired with a TC. Wish I had a better brand name on mine though (although it looks JUST LIKE the Tamron--hmmm!)
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member
palmor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 798
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I sold all my mirror lenses and found i missed the 500-600mm reach. So, I went to Wolfs camera and dropped $100 for the Promaster 1.7 auto TC. The images using this TC with my f*300mm are a bit better than the mirror lenses in sharpmess and much nicer color rendition. It still autofocuses, a bit slowly, but is very acceptable. I' would most likely still own the 500mm Tokina mirror lens if i didn't already have the f*300mm as it is a inexpensive performer. Heres a pic shot handheld with the f*300mm and 1.7tc
Very interesting. I wonder if it will AF with the DA*300...
02-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
I doubt you will get HSM, but you never know.... but if you are looking for a HSM TC, let me know, I have just the thing.

02-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
I have the same TC. It definitely makes the purple fringing on my Tokina 80-200 worse, but combining it with my newly-acquired DA*50-135 and I was shocked at how good the results are.

I guess it's true that good glass can stand up to be paired with a TC. Wish I had a better brand name on mine though (although it looks JUST LIKE the Tamron--hmmm!)
hhhhhmmmm... i will have to try it with the tamron 70-200 f2.8 and see if PF is a problem. I was surprised at the result with the f*300/tc combo also.
02-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
ivoire: Thanks for the shot--very nice. I think if I were shooting that guy I'd opt for a 3x converter and skip the emphasis on IQ.

I have also heard what David says about good glass pairing well with TCs.
02-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 338
The Promaster 1.7 will engage the SDM on the Da*s but will not complete the focus. At least that has been my experience on my K20. !t works fine on non-SDM AF and IQ is excellent.
02-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member
palmor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 798
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I doubt you will get HSM, but you never know.... but if you are looking for a HSM TC, let me know, I have just the thing.
Thanks, I have a 1.5x TC that works just fine )


John

02-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member
David Whiteley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 374
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I doubt you will get HSM, but you never know.... but if you are looking for a HSM TC, let me know, I have just the thing.
QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
The Promaster 1.7 will engage the SDM on the Da*s but will not complete the focus. At least that has been my experience on my K20. !t works fine on non-SDM AF and IQ is excellent.
I get SDM too--it has the Powerzoom contacts (I think, like Tamnron cousin, it's labelling includes "Pz" designation--but that's from memory). In poorly lit rooms last night it was hunting like crazy but would sometimes get focus confirm. Sometimes it would get there with some quickshift help (either mostly there & I finished, or I helped it get close and SDM AF finished). I think that was a low light issue but don't have it at hand to test now that there's light.

I did find that the contacts were a bit fussy. Sometimes the F-setting communication would drop out and my display would read "F--" rather than the f-stop (F-- is right!). But other times it remained coupled just fine. May be a wee bit of give to the mount, or maybe my contacts need cleaning.

But I'm shocked that DA*50-135 + this TC is a viable combination. I'm still posting a WTB for a 200 (here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/wanted-items/50701-alternative-new-da-200...tml#post485133) but it's nice to know that I can pack light and still get results I'll be happy with out to 230mm.
02-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
Original Poster
Since i had them out, i thought i'd try stacking the kenko1.5tc and promaster 1.7tc on my f*300mm. results are not award winning, but may be useful in some situations:

Last edited by ivoire; 10-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
02-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
Original Poster
The promaster does seem to add a bit of CA in high contrast situations. found this while shooting buzzards in flight with the tamron 70-200mm f2.8. Its not bad though (shows up on the wingtips.

Last edited by ivoire; 10-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, f*300mm, k-mount, lenses, mirror, pentax lens, promaster, slr lens, tc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Promaster 1.7x Teleconverter AF for Pentax (US) montoblan Sold Items 2 11-15-2010 04:02 PM
Promaster 1.7 Teleconverter BillM Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-16-2010 02:25 PM
For Sale - Sold: Promaster 1.7X Teleconverter G_Money Sold Items 4 07-05-2009 12:45 PM
Promaster 1.7x AF Teleconverter eva2000 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 01-19-2009 07:58 AM
Promaster 1.7x Teleconverter? OrenMc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 06-02-2008 07:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top