Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kit lens replacement search

Ok I have basically narrowed down to a few lenses. This is to complement my Bigma, and I also have a 50mm f/2.0 (manual) and a 28mm f/2.8

Budget $350, need it in about a month when my k20d returns from warranty work.

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX Macro -- This is my prefered so far, but a tad out of my price range new, I dont know if I can justify it with other options within my budget

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical -- This is a lot like the sigma but its build quality seems to be rated slightly less and it still falls outside of my price range

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro -- This falls within my price range, gives a tiny bit more reach then the others so money wise I think this is where I want to go if I cant somehow justify the other sigma and tamron

Pentax 16-45 -- now this falls quite well within my price range but I am unsure how it really compares to the others. I kind of have this as a last place/ last resort lens of my choices

How does everyone compare these lenses? I have read the reviews but they never seem to go head to head in the reviews. They all seem to say good for the money.

02-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, I can tell you I am VERY satisfied with the Tamron!

Just my 2¢ worth of course

Pat
02-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was in search for kit lens replacement, I also "threw an eye" on Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, but it was to long at the wide end. So I ended up with Sigma 17-70.
I put the kit lens aside for a while, but tested it again another day and was really disappointed. So the Sigma 17-70 was really a good choice.
If you don't miss the 50-70mm range, then 16/17/17-50 are better choice maybe. And they have the constant aperture, although Pentax is a bit slow compared to Sigma and Tammy (for indoor photography)
The majority of my photos are taken at 25-30mm and 50-70mm. It all depends on your style of photography.
I think all the lenses that you pointed out, are very good replacement for the kit lens and within the budget.
02-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Well, I can tell you I am VERY satisfied with the Tamron!

Just my 2¢ worth of course

Pat
I cant say I have heard anyone complaing about this lens yet, which is encouraging.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
When I was in search for kit lens replacement, I also "threw an eye" on Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, but it was to long at the wide end. So I ended up with Sigma 17-70.
I put the kit lens aside for a while, but tested it again another day and was really disappointed. So the Sigma 17-70 was really a good choice.
If you don't miss the 50-70mm range, then 16/17/17-50 are better choice maybe. And they have the constant aperture, although Pentax is a bit slow compared to Sigma and Tammy (for indoor photography)
The majority of my photos are taken at 25-30mm and 50-70mm. It all depends on your style of photography.
I think all the lenses that you pointed out, are very good replacement for the kit lens and within the budget.
I looked breifly at the Tamron 28-75 but for the same reason as you I decided against it. I do a lot below 28 mm.

Generally I go wide or go long. Birds, animals and scenery are my main targets. Unless I am shooting my son at play then I often end up going in the middle. I dont normally shoot in the 50-70mm range but I havent discounted it. One of my targets is just developing it is my son who is 1.28 years old, he is really starting to move. I actually dont know what I will need as time progresses for him.

02-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I have a daughter, which is 1.98 years old, and I love portaits of her. So 70mm is a must... ;-)
02-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Portrait photography isnt really in my skillset yet. How much duct tape does it take to make your daughter sit still? I am pretty sure that is what it would take for my son
02-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
BPT:

If there is anyway you can hold off and save until you have enough to get what you want--do it! You do not want any regrets that will just have you upgrading again if you feel you short-changed yourself.

Read all you can about the lenses, save your money, and buy the one you think is best for you. The LBA thing can be dealt with successfully, hang in there.

BTW, I selected the Tamron (and I'm delighted), after extensive research, but I never actually shot with the other lenses you are discussing here. Perhaps you can find a way to try the lens you want, first.

02-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #8

I was looking for a replacement before, Sigma 17-70mm and Tamron 28-75mm both are good replacements. After googled some review, Looks like Tamron is a much better lens than Sigma, Sigma 17-70mm just a little better than the Kit lens, but Sigma has 17mm. so just depend what you look for. I am ok with 28mm, and I like Tamron's sharpness.
02-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Other than its shorter reach and modest f/4 max aperture, the DA16-45/4 is a very good lens. If wide angle is important to you I wouldn't discount the difference between 16 and 18mm--its probably at least as important as the difference between 45 and 50. Personally my current choice is the somewhat pricier DA17-70 as I've found I like to have a little bit of reach into portrait-lens territory available. In the event I want more speed, i'll use primes.
02-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
BPT:

If there is anyway you can hold off and save until you have enough to get what you want--do it! You do not want any regrets that will just have you upgrading again if you feel you short-changed yourself.

Read all you can about the lenses, save your money, and buy the one you think is best for you. The LBA thing can be dealt with successfully, hang in there.

BTW, I selected the Tamron (and I'm delighted), after extensive research, but I never actually shot with the other lenses you are discussing here. Perhaps you can find a way to try the lens you want, first.
I was going to eventually replace the kit lens somewhere down the road but I ended up selling my k100D and including the kit lens in the sale since it is a friend who is just starting out. So when my new k20D comes back I am handing over my k100D and kit lens. I wasnt planning on giving up my kit lens but I did create a new pentax user

I cant try out lenses before buying since I live in a small area and the only Canon and Nikon are really served. It was actually suggested to me to buy an adapter so I can use some decent lenses rather then the sigma and pentax lenses I had.

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
I was looking for a replacement before, Sigma 17-70mm and Tamron 28-75mm both are good replacements. After googled some review, Looks like Tamron is a much better lens than Sigma, Sigma 17-70mm just a little better than the Kit lens, but Sigma has 17mm. so just depend what you look for. I am ok with 28mm, and I like Tamron's sharpness.
Just a little better then the kit lens isnt that encouraging, I am glad you said that

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Other than its shorter reach and modest f/4 max aperture, the DA16-45/4 is a very good lens. If wide angle is important to you I wouldn't discount the difference between 16 and 18mm--its probably at least as important as the difference between 45 and 50. Personally my current choice is the somewhat pricier DA17-70 as I've found I like to have a little bit of reach into portrait-lens territory available. In the event I want more speed, i'll use primes.
Right now wide angle is probaly the more important to me. Ideally I would get the sigma 10-20 then another lens to go in the 20+ range. I cant really afford that this year.
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No-one ever went wrong with the DA16-45, and it's wider than your other options. The IQ is second to none. About the only downside is that extra stop of light you get going to f/2.8, but you pay for that in weight, distortion, etc.
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
No-one ever went wrong with the DA16-45, and it's wider than your other options. The IQ is second to none. About the only downside is that extra stop of light you get going to f/2.8, but you pay for that in weight, distortion, etc.
Thank you, I think the 16-45 is moving up my list and I think the 17-70 has moved down a bit. I still havent made up my mind, I think I will be watching the marketplace to see what shows up. I wont be a dumbass like yesterday and miss a Sigma 18-50 for a good price.
02-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think you tested out a bad copy of the Sigma because I'd say that it is more then a "little better" then the kit lens.. and in every way. It is faster, sharper, focuses faster has more reach....

I've never used the Tamy so I can't comment on that and how it compares to the Sigma.

John
02-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
I think you tested out a bad copy of the Sigma because I'd say that it is more then a "little better" then the kit lens.. and in every way. It is faster, sharper, focuses faster has more reach....

I've never used the Tamy so I can't comment on that and how it compares to the Sigma.

John
Not mine test, just google review.
02-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Not mine test, just google review.
Ahh. I think the review may have had a bad copy then or some super copy of the kit lens hehe. Don't get me wrong I actually think the kit lens is great for what it is.. a kit lens but the Sigma is better in every way (except if you think a heavier lens is a negative).

To the OP, if you want to see a ton of real world examples taken with the 17-70 take a look here: Alaska Photo Gallery by palmor at pbase.com

BTW, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the lens you mentioned

John