Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I just bought this lens, but it won't mount. Seems I have to grind down the perimeter near the mount.

Did you do this too?
Ira, I'm no expert, but I had an SX 21mm that I wanted to use, but did enough research to say no. The mechanical aperture pin on the lens may have prevented you from mounting it, which may be good because the pin may have also prevented you from removing it. They work fine on a Spotmatic, but the problem is that the pin is outside the threads. I don't have the lens anymore so it's a little hard to remember, look at it and the mount on the camera and you'll be able to figure it out. I think if you remove the pin it would work. I wasn't willing to do that with the one I had as it was too valuable to mod (I sold it for a nice profit). Do a little research and you'll find a little more info than I remember. They sure are nice looking lenses! Good luck with it.

09-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #47
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Ira, I'm no expert, but I had an SX 21mm that I wanted to use, but did enough research to say no. The mechanical aperture pin on the lens may have prevented you from mounting it, which may be good because the pin may have also prevented you from removing it. They work fine on a Spotmatic, but the problem is that the pin is outside the threads. I don't have the lens anymore so it's a little hard to remember, look at it and the mount on the camera and you'll be able to figure it out. I think if you remove the pin it would work. I wasn't willing to do that with the one I had as it was too valuable to mod (I sold it for a nice profit). Do a little research and you'll find a little more info than I remember. They sure are nice looking lenses! Good luck with it.
My problem was it wouldn't screw onto the adapter. It wouldn't catch.

I ripped out that pin, but didn't try it again. And it's been sitting on my window sill for a month.

Weird lens:

It screws apart into two pieces, and has a retractable lens hood. Also, the lens specs on it look like they're written on a FILTER, on the outside of the barrel, and not within the lip for the filter ring.
09-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Thanks for coming back Miguel. As you said the 2.8/60 seems to be a true macro lens and the color separation seems to give it a special look. I am no true macro guy so I will skip this lens, which is easy given the price hikes I am seeing with it.

Ira, I am not sure about the catching part, sounds like a threadstart-problem on either the adapter or the lens ? You are right about the grinding of the outer aperture ring, otherwise the SX-lenses won't mount properly on a Pentax DSLR.

That's what you get when you loosen the 3 back screws through the holes at about f/8. Watch out for the aperture ball !

Ground down and pin ripped out and aperture pin locked

Exposure+inf. correction: 0.25 mm ring of masking foil

Here's a link for a complete disass.: Sekor 2,8 / 135, disassembly and cleaning of the aperture

Good luck with the conversion !
Georg
09-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #49
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Ira, I am not sure about the catching part, sounds like a threadstart-problem on either the adapter or the lens ? You are right about the grinding of the outer aperture ring, otherwise the SX-lenses won't mount properly on a Pentax DSLR.

What I meant by catching is that the lens mount doesn't protrude enough into the M42 adapter to catch, because of the protruding rim around the perimeter of the lens .

09-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Avoid the specular highlights :-) Seriously, I would either try to frame the background and blur it in pp (which of course does look overdone many times), or try to shoot full open as much as possible. All that is more academic than practical, I know.
I do shoot wide open quite often - in fact, stopping down is a relatively new thing I picked up recently when I started trying out macro But I do appreciate the increase in IQ from stopping down. Am trying for a 16 bladed aperture lens, to see how it performs. Will keep your advice in mind, thanks for the pointer!

Miguel & Nyghtfall, how would you judge your 2.8/60 performance in the mid-to-infinity department ? Reason for it, I am suspecting this lens to be a copy or a close friend of its Zeiss brethren, which is said to have eye-bleeding near performance (like your lenses obviously) but not so great inf. performance.
My experience with this lens would differ from miguel's. Not sure how you would define mid to long distance, but here are some pictures below I took with the mamiya 60mm

about 1.5m away:

about 4 - 5m away

this one should be at infinity focus. I PP'ed the colours to wash them out, nothing to do with the lens.

I find the lens still very sharp wide open at mid - long distances, and in fact there's little need for me to stop down, since I don't need to increase the DOF which is paper thin at close focusing distances.

Last edited by knyghtfall; 09-26-2010 at 01:56 AM.
09-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #51
Veteran Member

sharing one pic from the 60mm macro today:

10-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #52
Veteran Member

the mamiya sekor 60mm Macro as a walk about lens

I replaced the voigtlander 58mm with this lens as a walkabout lens, because I wanted the added flexibility of close focus/macro which increases the range of possibilities. I walk for a walk in the park with it yesterday to try it out in this role, and here are some pictures I got:

first stop was among the flower bushes:

Moving along to the historical part of the park..
(most pictures at infinity focus)

10-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Moving along to the greener areas of the park:

Couldn't resist snapping at 2 eagles in the sky, even though 60mm is way too short for birding

Finally, sitting down at a park bench, and looking up:

some little critters were with me at my spot.

In summary, the mamiya 60mm is what I am looking for in a walkaround - great IQ, versatile, and has the capability to morph into a fully capable macro if you need one. DOF is thin enough to be a portrait lens especially closer up. Colours are a bit colour ( I suspect its b'cos of the colour space settings my my K20D, not really because of the lens). This len's a keeper.
12-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #54

Sears 55mm

A bit late to this discussion, but hey...

I just bought an "Auto Sears" 55mm f1.8 - F16 in M42 screw mount "Lens made in Japan". Reading through this thread, it doesn't seem to fit the descriptions of either Mamiya made or Ricoh made Sears lenses.

I wouldn't call it a "gem", per se, but it is nonetheless a very nice lens. Excellent bokeh, all metal construction, not sure about the coating but it resembles that of the Super Taks though it's not yellowed that I can tell, ridged/knurled focusing ring that's every bit as smooth as the Taks, has the Auto/Manual switch, and 52mm filter thread.

Any thoughts on the manufacturer of this lens?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

12-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lacyt Quote
A bit late to this discussion, but hey...

I just bought an "Auto Sears" 55mm f1.8 - F16 in M42 screw mount "Lens made in Japan". Reading through this thread, it doesn't seem to fit the descriptions of either Mamiya made or Ricoh made Sears lenses.

I wouldn't call it a "gem", per se, but it is nonetheless a very nice lens. Excellent bokeh, all metal construction, not sure about the coating but it resembles that of the Super Taks though it's not yellowed that I can tell, ridged/knurled focusing ring that's every bit as smooth as the Taks, has the Auto/Manual switch, and 52mm filter thread.

Any thoughts on the manufacturer of this lens?

Thanks in advance!
Now that is interesting. Any idea what model Sears camera it was originally attached to?

Steve
02-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Bump, the above-mentioned lens does look very similar to Sears 55mm 1:1.8 m42 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database .

SX135/2.8 @f4(?) on K100D

SX2.8/28 @f/8(?) + cheapo circ-pol on K100D no pp
02-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #57

I have three Mamiya lenses.

1. 135 2.8 M42 Chrome Nose - I think I am the second user of this old lens and it has been stored for a long time.

2. Mamiya 645 80 2.8N ($50 at Keh) - here is a write up - a wonderful lens.

Mamiya 645 80mm f/2.8 Lens Review

3. Mamiya 645 150 3.5 N ($80 or so at Keh) - the photo below is a landscape with the 150 taken a week ago.

02-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #58
Ira
Inactive Account

Think I'll try to get my 135 working this weekend.

Don't have a dremel, but I'll get a friend to do it.
02-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Think I'll try to get my 135 working this weekend.
Don't have a dremel, but I'll get a friend to do it.
Good luck ! You don't need a dremel, a file and some patience does the trick. Watch out for the aperture ball when pulling off the back.

QuoteOriginally posted by stover98074 Quote
I have three Mamiya lenses.
Envy ! Can you recommend a good value Mamiya645 to PK (or M42) adapter ?
02-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
Hey all,
I picked up a 400mm 6.3 that is full manual ancd has no offending pin to get stuck. I have it mounted with an m42 to k adapter but did have to place a .012" shim between the lens and adapter to properly focus.

Funny that this thread popped up as I just listed this 400MM Mamiya lens in Ebay.

I picked up a Bigma so the manual focus is going as I have issues with manual focus sometimes with my k10
Mamiya 400mm f6.3 Lens - Pentax mount - eBay (item 190497669940 end time Feb-04-11 18:23:16 PST)