Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the lever on the TL 55mm f1.8 mamiya lens. Edit: If yours is f1.7, is it pre-dtl/tl?

Attached Images

02-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Mamiya vs. Tomioko

On my Sears 55mm 1.4, the rear element protrudes a few millimeters from the mount, whereas on my Mamiya, the rear element is inset, not protruding. This leads me to believe they are different designs. Am I wrong?

Last edited by Shamwow; 09-13-2010 at 08:41 PM.
02-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
On my Sears 55mm 1.8, the rear element protrudes a few millimeters from the mount, whereas on my Mamiya, the rear element is inset, not protruding. This leads me to believe they are different designs. Am I wrong?
As mentioned above, more than 1 company made lenses for the mid 60s series due to the fact Ricoh had many made by Mamiya, Chinon, and possibly Tokina an Tomoika. The mamiya version would have been their TL or DTL lens. Later newer Sears lenses would have been from the SX series and would say Sears/Sekor or of Sears Rikenon on there. Post some photos of you lens.

I still need to post a pic of the mount on the 28mm as well.
02-12-2009, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mamiya/Sekor is a relatively old brand like Pentax, known for quality lenses and very reasonable pricing. As with Pentax, younger people have little attraction to the brand, especially now that Mamiya/Sekor is strictly a professional market medium format product.

Several years ago when I went looking for an entry macro lens, a cranky old used gear dealer cut me a deal on an old M42 Mamiya/Sekor 60mm f. 2.8 macro lens. I didn’t have a clue about its quality, it was cheap and seemed to work on my then new *DS with the adapter. Being a preset type of lens, it was a little strange too, but there was some charm in that.

After I figured out how to use the lens, I noticed how beautiful the color renditions were. Forms just had a three-dimensional quality. And as a preset I can manage the bokeh in a more cinematic way. Even though I now own a few other top notch macro lenses including the Voitglander 125mm and the DA 35mm Ltd, I still savor shoots with the Mamiya/Sekor. It is that special.

M

02-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Miguel,
good stuff from the old macro lens!

Just1MoreDave,
I feel I have a doublette of your lens tandem here...
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/3274776213_b60a9989b1_o.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]
... but I can't prove it.

Would you please check the back lens surface of your lenses? On my copies, the Mamiya lens has a spherical (convex) surface, whereas the Porst is straight flat. Til now I was dead sure that the Mamiya is Mamiya and the Porst is Tomioka. Porst in Germany is like Sears in North America. They labeled almost any 3rd party brand sometime and never ever produced a lens themselves.

BTW I just realised how much work it is to have converted that SX lens. Rip out that little pin (or grind it down), take apart the back and grind down the outer aperture ring (cause it is protruding, don't fit on K100D otherwise), and also lock the mechanics to 'manual', cause it doesn't have an A/M switch. Now the aperture clicks are a little heavy to move, due to the 'manual' conversion.

But, the photos are not too bad, no PP but crop on K100D, f2 maybe, ISO800
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3219/2616341633_e43ec7501c_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]
Best, Georg (the other)
12-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Sears/Sekor 28mm f2.8

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Here is my Sears/Sekor SX 28mm f2.8 lens on my Spot F.

Hi Blue - I just won an auction on Ebay for the exact same lens. Did a lot of research on Google but couldn't find any info on that lens. Can you share some thoughts on that lens as to the IQ and performance?

Thanks,

Duc
12-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I have 3 Mamiya-Sekor medium format lenses...they are very high quality. Can't speak about the 35 mm Mamiya lens of yore, but given that Mamiya is well respected camera company...I'm sure they are fine.

12-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #23

I have a TL (all black not DTL) mamiya/sekor 2,8/135.

It's a very good contrast lens. High (yes, you read well) high resolution power, higher than my CZJ 3,5/135 MC (I sold this).

I fall in love with this mamiya lens. Now, I ask to you, fellows:

The TL and DTL 2,8/135 mm have the same schame, is the same than the SX/Super Dinarex AR/Rolleinar version ?

Thanks in advance.
12-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Hi Blue - I just won an auction on Ebay for the exact same lens. Did a lot of research on Google but couldn't find any info on that lens. Can you share some thoughts on that lens as to the IQ and performance?

Thanks,

Duc

This lens has 7 elements in 7 groups. Its minimum focus distance is 1 ft (0.30m). Its minimum aperture is f16 and has an auto diaphragm. Its field of view is 75 degrees. It takes 58mm threaded filters. It weighs about 7.75 ounces (220 grams). It was made for the MSX and DSX series Mamiya cameras which of course had the m42 mount. Both series were released in 1974. Obviously, they made some also for series as well as bodies marketed by Sears as the 1000SX, 500SX & 1000DSX. At f2.8, it is relatively fast for the era. Since I have this lens, I haven't really pursued a 28mm Super Tak. although the S-M-C 28mm is on my list.

Ron Herron has the basic specs on this series of Mamiya lenses. They can hold their own with anyone's lenses from the era. In fact, the Color-Skoparex AR 2.8/28mm is this very SX 28mm and was sold with the Rollei QBM-bayonet mount and was sold as the Rolleinar-MC or Voigtländer AR from 1976 until into the early 80s.

SX Lenses

Mamiya MSX and DSX 35mm Cameras

Ron probably has the best 35mm Mamiya site on the net.

This is another good Mamiya 35mm site:

http://freenet-homepage.de/stauber/mamiya-nc/m42_lenses.htm

Last edited by Blue; 12-19-2009 at 08:10 PM.
12-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Miguel,
good stuff from the old macro lens!

Just1MoreDave,
I feel I have a doublette of your lens tandem here...
... but I can't prove it.

Would you please check the back lens surface of your lenses? On my copies, the Mamiya lens has a spherical (convex) surface, whereas the Porst is straight flat. Til now I was dead sure that the Mamiya is Mamiya and the Porst is Tomioka. Porst in Germany is like Sears in North America. They labeled almost any 3rd party brand sometime and never ever produced a lens themselves.
I don't know why I didn't answer this question before, but if it's not too late... Both lenses have a flat rear element. They are mounted in a different way, though. The Rikenon has a metal ring that folds over the edge of the glass, and the Mamiya leaves the edge unprotected.
12-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote

Thanks,

Duc
I'd also be interested in hearing about its IQ!
12-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I'd also be interested in hearing about its IQ!
In order to do that, I'll have to scan some images and shoot some color targets etc. However, I don't have but maybe 1 other 28mm to compare it with (Focal 28mm f2.8 K). Perhaps, I can compare it with a 35mm f3.5 Super Tak.
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #28

What does the A/M switch do?
12-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mannj Quote
What does the A/M switch do?
Auto/Manual

The word "Auto" in a lens name refers to having an automatic aperture. It does not have anything to do with exposure automation or auto focus. Automatic aperture M42 screw mount lenses usually have a control on the side of the lens barrel to a switch between automatic and manual aperture.

When on "Auto" and mounted on a M42 body supporting that feature (most do), the lens aperture stays fully open until the just before the shutter opens and then automatically stops down for the exposure and automatically opens back up immediately afterwards.

When on "Auto" and mounted on a non-supporting body (all K-mount cameras with adapter), the lens stays wide open regardless of whether an exposure is being made.

When on "Manual", the lens aperture is always stopped down regardless of what body it is mounted on.

When shooting with an adapter on a K-mount body, the lens must be on the "Manual" setting at exposure side in order to expose using the aperture set on the aperture ring.

As noted above, not all auto-aperture M42 lenses have the A/M switch. The most common being various Russian lenses including the M42 Zenitar 16/2.8 fisheye and Helios 44M-x 58/2. Both of these lenses require surgical modification before they have a functional aperture on a K-mount body.

Steve
12-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I don't know why I didn't answer this question before, but if it's not too late... Both lenses have a flat rear element. They are mounted in a different way, though. The Rikenon has a metal ring that folds over the edge of the glass, and the Mamiya leaves the edge unprotected.
No problem Dave and thanks for coming back. I can see the similar reflection of you taking the pic of the two back lenses, nice effect .

I double checked the Mamiya, it's definitely a curved surface on the back and the glass is yellowish back and front. It has a metal ring protruding up from the glass (which would be logical to protect a curved surface) but does not fold over it.

The Porst had the flat back like your two lenses and the glass was unprotected like your Mamiya. I have one or two Revuenon 1.4/55 and they have the flat back too and one of them is folded over, too. The Porst has left me cause I sold it.

Just 1 less Georg