Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't know this about IS...

I guess I should have known this, but until I got a moderate telephoto and set out to do some hand held bird images, it didn't come up. The benefit of the Pentax in-body stabilization is that it works on every lens, but the downside is that the image in the view finder is not stabilized. Handhold a 100mm lens on a Pentax and a Nikon (lens) and you can see the difference: the outcome may be similar, but the VF image on the Pentax is moving around in a disconcerting way.
As I said, who knew?
Brian

02-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I guess I should have known this, but until I got a moderate telephoto and set out to do some hand held bird images, it didn't come up. The benefit of the Pentax in-body stabilization is that it works on every lens, but the downside is that the image in the view finder is not stabilized. Handhold a 100mm lens on a Pentax and a Nikon (lens) and you can see the difference: the outcome may be similar, but the VF image on the Pentax is moving around in a disconcerting way.
As I said, who knew?
Brian
I did.....
02-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

NO WAI
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i prefer in-body stabilisation - the fact that you can't see it through the lens is a benefit in a sense... it makes you want to hand hold things as perfectly as you can - which you really should be trying to do in the first place.

02-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, the image on my $50 old stabilized 500mm lens moves around really disconcertingly in my Pentax viewfinder, while the image on my $50 old stabilized Nikon lens -- wait, no, that's not right -- my $50 old stabilized Canon -- no, that doesn't work either -- oh, never mind.

02-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL. You'd think this would be obvious. In-lens means it really is stabilized before it hits the sensor and your viewfinder ;-)
I think it's pretty cool...gives you straight-ahead visual feedback that you can press the shutter instead of having to glance down at the hand symbol (I wish the K20D made another beep noise for the hand symbol sometimes)...
02-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Yeah, the image on my $50 old stabilized 500mm lens moves around really disconcertingly in my Pentax viewfinder, while the image on my $50 old stabilized Nikon lens -- wait, no, that's not right -- my $50 old stabilized Canon -- no, that doesn't work either -- oh, never mind.

I don't think that was the point.
Though for me, that is the compromise. In body SR is a leap of faith compared to in lens SR.
Using live view with the SR invoked is kind of neat, BTW.

02-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For long glass I would prefer in-lens IS. However, attach something like a 50/1.4, and that's where in-body IS really shines.
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Though for me, that is the compromise. In body SR is a leap of faith compared to in lens SR.
except that it teaches the absolute worst way to hold the camera and have a stable base to take pictures from.

I think that is why they do it though, because most P&S shooters have no idea what a view finder is. Now let's see them hold that 500mm AT ALL at arm's length. Only if they have the arms of a gorilla
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
For long glass I would prefer in-lens IS. However, attach something like a 50/1.4, and that's where in-body IS really shines.
and where there are no alternative in-lens IS options.
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I like the in-lens IS on my Canon S3 P&S, primarily because I can tell that it is working. I don't find the in-body shake reduction works quite as well.
02-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yeah, I was just having fun.

I agree in-lens stabilization has some nice benefits: it's often obvious when it has kicked in, and it's easier to acquire focus on a smallish object if it's not moving around as your hands jiggle.
02-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The more I use SR on my long lenses (nothing like a 50mm though!) the better I get at being stable myself. I sometimes feel a bit seasick using Nikon VR lenses. Floating away......
02-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

One cool thing about having in-body SR is, you only have to pay for it once!

Jason
02-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
sebberry
I like the in-lens IS on my Canon S3 P&S, primarily because I can tell that it is working. I don't find the in-body shake reduction works quite as well.
I agree, the IS on my Canon S3 is more effective than what I have on my K20, but not by a lot. But, for posterity, I would much rather have the images from the K20 & in-body IS, than the images from the S3 with its in-lens IS.

No matter how you slice it, the $$ returned on the in-body stabilization system is much greater. And I agree with Vylen's analysis, that holding as steady as possible is better taught with the in-body system.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.