Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA 35mm LTD f/2.8 - First day photos

Got home to find my lens arrived.
First experiences indicate very fast accurate autofocus much better than the DA 16-45mm f/4

Here's a few samples...

Attached Images

Last edited by dopeytree; 02-10-2009 at 12:44 PM.
02-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hm, I've heard that the autofocus on this lens is quite slow, due to the long throw of the focus ring. Do you have any other fast primes to compare to?
I really want this lens, the only thing holding me back is the apparently slow autofocus, since I want to occasionally use the lens for indoor photography of kids.
02-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Forum Member

nah, my 35ltd auto-focuses quickly. except during hand held macro shots. with those, i just move too much and it keeps trying to find focus. for my work, i use the relatively short throw of the focus ring on macro work, and let it auto-focus for landscapes.

i usually use manual focus exclusively, but just can't nail it as well with the 35ltd.

another thing to consider if you're wanting a nice macro is that with the 35ltd you have to be fairly close to the subject - a 100mm macro lets you get back a ways without spooking wildlife, though flowers don't seem to object...

35ltd
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kauaiguy Quote
nah, my 35ltd auto-focuses quickly. except during hand held macro shots. with those, i just move too much and it keeps trying to find focus. for my work, i use the relatively short throw of the focus ring on macro work, and let it auto-focus for landscapes.

i usually use manual focus exclusively, but just can't nail it as well with the 35ltd.

another thing to consider if you're wanting a nice macro is that with the 35ltd you have to be fairly close to the subject - a 100mm macro lets you get back a ways without spooking wildlife, though flowers don't seem to object...
I'm mostly looking for a general walk-around lens, with the occasional macro shot.
Currently I use the FA50, but that's just too narrow, I think 35 would be just about perfect.
I can't really justify having a dedicated macro lens, and the 100mm lenses are a bit too bulky as well for me.
Nice shot, by the way!

02-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The DA35 is the perfect flower lens. Even if it was good at nothing else, it would excel at that one thing.
02-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The DA35 is the perfect flower lens. Even if it was good at nothing else, it would excel at that one thing.
Yes, indeed. Although certain honeybees are pretty docile and ignore you
when they're busy:

To the OP - yes, it's a stellar walkabout lens, and does not really focus as
slowly as some have implied. I loved it.

02-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Hm, I've heard that the autofocus on this lens is quite slow, due to the long throw of the focus ring. Do you have any other fast primes to compare to?
I really want this lens, the only thing holding me back is the apparently slow autofocus, since I want to occasionally use the lens for indoor photography of kids.
EricT: I have the DA 35. No worries regarding the autofocus speed. I bought mine for the some of the same reasons you are considering it. Yes, if you are focusing on a petal or bud of a flower and all of a sudden you hear the kids laugh and turn around and want to get a shot the focus will take awhile as the focus ring goes from under .5 ft to infinity. However, the throw from 1 ft. to infinity is quite small. Thus, tracking your children the lens has very little throw and is quite responsive. IMHO. Hope this helps.
02-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
I don't find the autofocus slow at all, the focus throw from infinity until several metres away is so small that it seems as fast as my da40 for general use. On a surface with no contrast though, it does take a bit of time to rack from end to end. Thats not really relevant for normal use. It is slower focus for macro which is very forgivable. I don't think I've used any lens which is quick in macro distances.
The only negative I've found is the difficulty in lighting objects at 1:1. The lens is so close it blocks alot of flashlight. Just another reason for me to buy a ring flash