Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Substitute for 135/2.8 A?

I have had 2 (still have 1) copies of the SMC Pentax-A 135/2.8 lens. I really like the look and feel of the lens, but the CA really bothers me on certain shots, especially in the slightly OOF areas. I have the SMC Pentax 135/2.5 and it's great when I want to get serious, but sometimes for convenience it is nice to just plug on the A series and shoot in a program mode. I was curious if anyone had a good recommendation for an A-compatible lens that would perform better optically than the A-lens?

I would be happy finding an F/FA series 135/2.8, but those in nice condition are tough to track down, and the price of one could put you nearly halfway towards an 80-200/2.8 3rd party lens. I am mainly looking for a solid (build quality is very important to me) 135mm lens that will deliver good results.

I'm not super familiar with the Tamron adaptall line-up, but aren't the later adaptall lenses aperture communication enabled? Maybe there is a decent 135 there that won't cost and arm + leg. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

02-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The F/FA 135/2.8 got CA problem too at wide apertures, otherwise a great performer w/ super fast AF.

Since you already have two excellent 135mm lenses, I think the best option for you is the A*135/1.8 It's really hard to find another 135mm lens which is optically better than the K135/2.5 ...
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The A* 135mm is one of my dream lenses. I get sad everytime one sells , for one because I want it and for two because so much $$$. But I guess that is how it goes when a lens is so wonderfully made.

For the K135/2.5, I have no complaints about it optically. People tell me that there was some green fringing on high-contrast borders in some of my shots, but I couldn't see it b/c I am a bit red-green colorblind ...so it didn't bother me at all . Makes me wonder what else I'm missing...
02-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
. . .

I'm not super familiar with the Tamron adaptall line-up, but aren't the later adaptall lenses aperture communication enabled? Maybe there is a decent 135 there that won't cost and arm + leg. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
They requier the PKA adaptall mount to work that way, but yes. Have you thought about the Sears 135mm f2.8 "A" lens?

02-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They requier the PKA adaptall mount to work that way, but yes. Have you thought about the Sears 135mm f2.8 "A" lens?
I have seen the Sears lenses before on eBay, etc, but I wasn't aware that they made an "A" version. Maybe I'll check that out and see if it performs well.

Although, thinking about this made me set up a few quick tests to see the difference between the A 135 and the K 135 for sharpness and bokeh. I'll make a new thread later tonight when I'm back at home and have the pics, but I'll summarize with a couple points what I found out.

- "A" version is sharper wide open (2.8) than "K" version wide open (2.5)
- "K" version stopped down to first notch matches sharpness of "A" version wide open. I believe the f-stop here is 2.8 based on the exposure, specular highlights, and DOF compared to the "A" wide open.
- "A" version has significant purple fringing wide open, "K" has slight green fringing wide open
- "K" version bokeh + specular highlists are much smoother and less distracting

- Jim
02-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The model number on the sears "A" lens is 202, and cat number 73681. I have a couple of these that I bought new in 87. One I have used and one as a spare because I liked it on my film bodies for portraits etc. They do have a Ricoh pin. The one I use isn't a problem on the dSLR bodies and the spare one is. I haven't removed the Ricoh pin because I'm eventually going to sell the spare. The A version has a so called macro setting which is actually a 1:5, 1:6 and 1:7. That is the best way to tell them apart in pics and on ebay.

Edit: It is made in Korea.