Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I dropped my lens! bent mount ring

I just got my DA 16-45 last night and went out this afternoon to snap a few shots with it. I came in the house to change lenses to compare to the DA 18-55 and sat the 16-45 on the countertop in the kitchen and then accidently bumped into it with my elbow. Next thing i know, i hear a crash as it bounced twice on the hard stone tile floor. No broken glass but when i tried to mount it on the cam, i discovered one of the mounting "tabs" on the mounting ring is bent such that it will not mate with the camera.

well, maybe a little bit of panic and a touch of daring, i figured this lens probably has the same ring as the 18-55, so i attempted to swap 'em. After all, just a few tiny screw heads, no biggie, right? I started with the kit lens in case i irreversibly destroyed it; it would be less painful a loss.
Next thing i know, there are several tiny brass springs with the little brass contacts rolling around the kitchen. oh boy...too late to turn back. I decided to remove the bent ring from the 16-45, since now i had no idea how all those springs were configured.
this is sounding pretty bad, huh?

well, thanks to a steady hand and some small forceps and a toothpick, i got both lenses reassembled and mounted the "repaired" 16-45 to the camera and discovered the aperture was staying closed. Apparently the aperture tab (whatever that is called) was bent in the fall. i carefully bent it back and now the lens works fine...as far as i can tell.
The donor kit lens has the bent ring and i am prepared to call it a loss unless anyone knows if it is possible to order a replacement ring, i know how to replace it at least, having done exactly two of these now.

Gee - that was scary and who knows if there is other damage to the lens - i snapped a few pics and they seem to be just fine, but what else whould i look for?

02-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Gee - that was scary and who knows if there is other damage to the lens - i snapped a few pics and they seem to be just fine, but what else whould i look for?
Look for things like rough focusing, crunchy sounds with AF, rough/jerky zoom, non-linear aperture closure, damaged iris diaphragm, and de-centered/misaligned elements. Severe external damage is often matched by severe internal damage.

Steve
02-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given the going price of a used kit lens, I would consider just buying a replacement copy. For a more costly lens, the cheapest path might still be what you did. The mount part might be available since they appear to be quite similar for different lenses. The light shield (internal flat black part) varies for large and small aperture lenses and the different series have different holes, of course. But I have been quite wrong before in assuming that Pentax has standard parts.
02-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Look for things like rough focusing, crunchy sounds with AF, rough/jerky zoom, non-linear aperture closure, damaged iris diaphragm, and de-centered/misaligned elements. Severe external damage is often matched by severe internal damage.

Steve
ooh boy - i dont like the sound of that, but thanks for the heads up. I am traveling for the next few days and will probably take the camera and lens with me to see if i have any trouble. would de-centered/misaligned elements result in soft edges, fringing, vignetting, etc? i will look for such symptoms. i've not noticed any issues with the zoom ring resistance nor focusing issues, but time will tell.
Dang, and i was just bragging about how i bought this copy for $100 yesterday - what a deal!

02-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
update: i took the lens with me on a trip and just returned and uploaded the shots and they look perfectly clean - i see no issues in the images nor did i experience any difficult focus or noise or grinding while shooting, etc..
ok, i am feeling better about the accident...
...and did i mention i only paid $100 for the 16-45????
02-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I dropped my Cosina 19-35 and consequently had trouble zooming to the wide end. I opened it up, removed the part that was causing the binding, and found that the lens works just fine without it, so I left it out.
02-14-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a Tamron AF SP 24-135mm that I dropped a couple of days ago and now it has trouble locking focus at the wide end.

Not sure what to do with it tbh, I love that lens though .. was the first one I bought off this forum along with my K10D body.

02-17-2009, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Man, maybe photography and me aren't meant to happen. Last night, i was removing my beloved SMC-M 50mm 1.7 from the camera and it slipped out of my fingers and smacked on the hard stone tile floor.
The Tiffen circ polarizer i just bought got bent badly and the mount ring on the back of the lens is also fitting very tight now, so it must have been bent too.

Gee, i better not spend the big bucks for any lenses i am not prepared to break.

Is it just me? should i get carpeting?

Last edited by mikeSF; 03-05-2009 at 12:43 PM.
02-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The light shield (internal flat black part) varies for large and small aperture lenses and the different series have different holes, of course. But I have been quite wrong before in assuming that Pentax has standard parts.
well in this case, they are apparently the same size - i measured before the swap. who knew??
02-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Man, maybe photography and I are not meant to happen. Last night, i was removing my beloved SMC-M 50mm 1.7 from the camera and it slipped out of my fingers and smacked on the hard stone tile floor.
The Tiffen circ polarizer i just bought got bent badly and the mount ring on the back of the lens is also fitting very tight now, so it must have been bent too.

Gee, i better not spend the big bucks for any lenses i am not prepared to break.

The M 50 1.7 is one of the most replaceable lenses out there, but really, maybe try changing lenses over a bed or something

Or you could go for a 18-250 an a flash for low light and never take it off

$100 for the 16-45 is amazing though--you could probably sell it for that even after the surgery!
02-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Man, maybe photography and I are not meant to happen. Last night, i was removing my beloved SMC-M 50mm 1.7 from the camera and it slipped out of my fingers and smacked on the hard stone tile floor.

They say bad luck comes in threes...you had best be particularly careful!

Steve
02-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL!

I know my breakage rate of plates and glasses went way down when we moved to a new house with wood floors instead of tile. Tile is completely unforgiving.
02-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
Inactive Account

MikeSF, you have a PM.
02-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, I'm glad to know I'm not the only klutz around here. Suggestion: keep any eye out on eBay for busted "for parts" lenses: also maybe put a wanted ad in the Marketplace.

Oh, and I'll keep you in mind in case I need that procedure done on one of my lenses--I'm too much of a klutz to even attempt it. Who knows--this could be the start of a whole new career for you! ;~)
02-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Inactive Account

That's some really bad luck Mike. I agree that you might want to change lenses over a bed from now on

Luckily I've yet to drop my K10D or any lenses. The K10D with my 31mm LTD mounted did pretty violently slide off my passenger side front seat a few weeks ago when I had to skid to a stop to avoid an accident. I was quit worried at first but both survived in perfect condition.