Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please enlighten me with regards to Tamron Adaptall

Hi Folks, I just bought a package to get an A50 f1.7 lens . In the bag is a Tamron Adaptall 28-70 f3.5-4.5. It seems like a nicely built lens and I think I remember hearing good things about the adaptall sysem lenses. Honestly when these lenses were being made I was totally wrapped up in another camera manufacturer's designer series lenses and didn't pay much attention to 3rd party stuff. Now that I have the adapter , I may consider buying more Tamron lenses.
Please help me out here:
1)Are there certain adaptal models known for very high quality and if so which ones?
2) Opinions on the 28-70?
3)Whats the difference between adaptall 1 & 2 ?
THANKS

02-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the answer to all your questions:
Adaptall-2.com
Well, almost all.

The premium Adaptall-2 lenses have the SP designation and were supposed to represent state-of-the-art design and professional quality. The regular Adaptall-2 lenses were also quite good, though not as consistently so as the SP models.

Adaptall is the earlier version of the mount while Adaptall-2 is the later version. I do not believe that the two are compatible either backwards or forwards. The Adaptall-2 mounts featured better compatibility with the various camera bodies. Before Adaptall came the Adapt-a-matic lenses. Same story here in regards to compatibility.

Your 28-70 is not a bad lens. I owned one for a short while and found it to be sharp, but too prone to flare to my liking.

Regarding adapters...The P/KA adapter with the "A" contacts is more highly sought after and valuable. Prices usually are over $100 USD. The regular P/K is quite a bit cheaper and can often be found for $15-$35 USD. Avoid the P/KR mount. It was for the Ricoh programmed exposure cameras and features the dreaded "Ricoh pin" that can jam the lens onto the camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-11-2009 at 09:42 AM.
02-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi seacapt,

I can only vouch for the lenses that I actually own, the SP 300 f2.8, SP180 f2.5, and SP 80-200 f2.8. All are exceptional performers for me. I also have an SP 500 f8 Cat, which, for its type, is a very good lens, but it is pretty much a specialty item. I also have the SP 140F 1.4x TC and have found it to be a high quality TC.

Another lens which I'd be interested it getting (for the right price) is the SP 70-150 f2.8 Soft.

Scott
02-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[QUOTE=stevebrot;48523]
The P/KA adapter with the "A" contacts is more highly sought after and valuable. Prices usually are over $100 USD.

Well That is a real pleasant bonus I thought I payed too much for the kit at $80 but the "fast 50" was real clean and I had gotten tired of trying to find one.

Last edited by seacapt; 02-11-2009 at 10:03 AM.
02-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

There is some information here, especially regarding when the last ones were made and information on the various mounts that are available.

There are a few of the mounts missing from the Adaptall mount list. There is also a Canon EOS-M adapter that isn't on the list.

While it doesn't pertain to the Adaptalls, in the adaptamatic lens series there is another pentax screwmount for the pre ES bodies. That's just to point out that while there is some good info there, a few things are missing.

Tamron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
02-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Adaptall is the earlier version of the mount while Adaptall-2 is the later version. I do not believe that the two are compatible either backwards or forwards. The Adaptall-2 mounts featured better compatibility with the various camera bodies. Before Adaptall came the Adapt-a-matic lenses. Same story here in regards to compatibility.

Steve
Actually, adaptall 2 mounts will work on Adaptall 2 SP and adaptall 2 lenses and will also work on the original adaptall lenses. Available features will depend on the lens and the adapter. If you want A settings, it will require at least an Adaptall 2 lens AND the PKA adapter. All lenses including the Adaptall, Adaptall 2 and Adaptall 2 SP lenses will work in the K mode with the PK adapter or the XR-P with the Ricoh pin removed.

Edit: In other words, if a lens is AE capable, it will need the PKA mount to do that. Otherwise, with the PK or XR-P mount, its just a K lens. I its a k lens, its a k lens know matter what mount is used. Well, unless you are using one of the 2 m42 screw mounts.

The Adaptamatic is a totally different ball game as is the T2 interchangeable mounts.

Last edited by Blue; 02-11-2009 at 12:49 PM.
02-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have 4 PK/A mounts and the 72B SP 90mm f2.8 macro, the 01A SP 35-80mm f2.8-3.8, the 19AH 70-210mm f3.5 and the SP 17mm f3.5 151B.

Personally I wouldn't part with any of them, they are easily on a par with any of the newer AF lenses and in some cases better (IMO).

02-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The PKA Adaptall-2 mount will allow "A" setting with Adaptall (1) lenses, I have two and they at least work fine. That's the 70-150mm zoom f/3.5, and the 300mm f/5.6 prime. Both quite decent, although I do not use them that much. Actually I have a Ricoh mount too, and the "pin" is a tiny rounded ball bearing. It rarely gets slightly stuck, but flipping AF on and off will take care of it.

I had a 90mm SP adaptall-2 macro lens, and I would recommend that without reservation.
02-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, adaptall 2 mounts will work on Adaptall 2 SP and adaptall 2 lenses and will also work on the original adaptall lenses. Available features will depend on the lens and the adapter. If you want A settings, it will require at least an Adaptall 2 lens AND the PKA adapter. All lenses including the Adaptall, Adaptall 2 and Adaptall 2 SP lenses will work in the K mode with the PK adapter or the XR-P with the Ricoh pin removed.

Edit: In other words, if a lens is AE capable, it will need the PKA mount to do that. Otherwise, with the PK or XR-P mount, its just a K lens. I its a k lens, its a k lens know matter what mount is used. Well, unless you are using one of the 2 m42 screw mounts.

The Adaptamatic is a totally different ball game as is the T2 interchangeable mounts.
Thanks for the clarification regarding Adaptall/Adaptall-2 compatibility. I was mistaken in regards to compatibility for regular K-mount. What you say makes sense and checks with other references on the Web. When I originally purchased my Tamrons back in the early '80s, the guy in the store told me that they were not backward compatible to the older adapters/lenses and I have been carrying that misconception to this day.

Steve
02-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #10

Adaptall is one of the most fun system that Tamron made. I used to have a couple of lenses and adapter when I was shooting film. Recently I renewed my love for the adaptall system when I was browsing on the KEH site and saw all kinds of inexpensive lenses for sale. Now my newly acquired adaptall lenses will fit on my Nikon, Pentax and Canon camera bodies!

Most adaptall lenses are fairly slow by today's standard. I did manage to get the 300 mm f2.8 and the 80 to 200 mm f2.8 sp and they are spectacular.
02-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HansenTsang Quote
Adaptall is one of the most fun system that Tamron made. I used to have a couple of lenses and adapter when I was shooting film. Recently I renewed my love for the adaptall system when I was browsing on the KEH site and saw all kinds of inexpensive lenses for sale. Now my newly acquired adaptall lenses will fit on my Nikon, Pentax and Canon camera bodies!

Most adaptall lenses are fairly slow by today's standard. I did manage to get the 300 mm f2.8 and the 80 to 200 mm f2.8 sp and they are spectacular.

I have a 180mm f2.5. That's not too slow even for today's standards. There are several f2.8 lenses available as well in prime and zoom.
02-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I bought my first, the 01A, in '85. It's been on an OM, a Nikon, pentax K, Pentax K-A, plain screw mount, and Pentax ES screw mount so far. Oh, and I've ended up with probably a couple of adaptalls for makes I don't currently have...

The adaptall Taks are well made lenses, apart from a couple of ideosyncracies. But the important bits - touch wood - such as aperture and focus mechanisms are made to last.
02-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #13

Sorry but I'am confused, just to clarify: An adaptall lens (for example Tamron bbar MC 135mm f:2.8) will work on pentax K mount SLR and DSLR such as a m42 lens with PKadaptor (stop down metering) or such as a M/K lens (open aperture metering but can be used only in M mode with green button in DSLR)? Thank you
02-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The adaptall lens will work depending on the adaptall mount you have:

- plain K adaptall - it works just like a K (M) mount Pentax lens. Use green button for stop down metering.

- K-A adaptall - it works just like a K-A mount Pentax lens. All exposure modes are available, you just set the lens on the 'A' setting on the aperture scale.

The M42 Adaptalls aren't good for K mount, as they lack an A/M switch. Thus the only way to use one, with a M43 Pentax K adapter, is wide open.

But on a M42 film camera:

- Most M42 adapters - work just like Super Takumars - stop down metering etc. Auto aperture.

- Pentax ES adaptall - works just like a SMC Takumar on Pentax ES and SP-F cameras, open aperture metering, auto aperture.

Thus you can see why the K-A Adaptall mounts are so pricey. The plain K adapters work fine, just like a Pentax-M lens.
02-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fgpinarli Quote
Sorry but I'am confused, just to clarify: An adaptall lens (for example Tamron bbar MC 135mm f:2.8) will work on pentax K mount SLR and DSLR such as a m42 lens with PKadaptor (stop down metering) or such as a M/K lens (open aperture metering but can be used only in M mode with green button in DSLR)? Thank you
  • If you have the regular K-mount adapter (no "A" contacts), the lens will work in "M" mode using green button or DOF preview stop-down metering. The lens will work like any other non-A K-mount lens.
  • If you have the KA-mount adapter (has "A" contacts), the lens will work in all exposure modes. The lens will work the same as any other "A" type K-mount lens.

Steve